New Tribe Ness sadle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all

Recentely bought Pro Gear Saddle@ $199.00 and thought I was buying the "CADDALIC" of climbing saddles. BUT...
The saddle pinches "family jewels" and carabiners (split tail) role in Pear Screw link. Any thoughts our comments would be appreciated!!

TIA

Kevin

PS Saddle reviewed by Anthony (NYSAWBOSS)

The Real Deal

The first thing that turned me off was the fact that the whole saddle is constructed of nylon. The big "PLUS" to this saddle is supposed to be the triangular shaped leg pads incorporated inot the leg straps....although they are comfy they do not feel as "secure" to my legs as the ones on my Weaver 1038. Another inconvenience is the fixed D ring position destroying overall mobility in the saddle without the saddle twisting on your body. I favor floating D's. The LARGEST problem being that when hanging in saddle, the nylon straps that attach to the leg pads crush your nuts!!! Pear shaped screw gate constantly flips in the nylong "D" rings causing it to be loaded improperly. Must be checked regularly. Overall....I'll take the 6-7 lbs of leather and nylon over the latest innovation.

honest opinion
tony

Different strokes I guess. I love my Ness. I have never had a genital pinching problem. Did you order it with the proper size leg straps? The leg straps and waist belt are sized seperately on the New Tribe designs. I have a Delta link rather than a Pear on mine (came that way) that might help with your rolling problems. Personally, I clip into the D rather than the Delta but I realize that what works best will depend upon the individual's build and where they like the saddle to ride.:angel:

Tony,
Cant tell you what will work for you because every climber is different.
But you did know the New Tribe does not have a floating D before you bought it right?
I would assume so anyway.
Also something you may have overlooked is the availability of a Delta link. New Tribe offers this option as well.
I dont know maybe you did'nt buy the saddle from New Tribe maybe you bought it from some vendor. Before I buy ANY saddle (and I own a lot of them) I do what I call due diligence. That is to say I investigate every thing I can about the saddle, how it is made and so forth.
Your honest opinion relates to some other saddle. Kinda like saying you dont like a convertable car because the top folds down dont you think?
Frans

I didn't buy the Ness, it's not mine. My boss kevin (kevintree) just purchased it to add to the company equipment. I climb with a Weaver 1038 which is a leg strap floating D saddle. That is my preference. He asked me to prune a tree wearing the Ness seeing as he just got it and wanted me to give him some feedback. So I did....just the facts!@!

tony

Interesting. I have only had very minimal problems with pinching with my New Tribe saddle. Also, I have never had a problem with the pear link. I tie into the D ring. Once in a long while the pear link gets crossed up when I'm not hanging from the D and when I put my weight on it there is an ever so slight bump as it slides back into place. I hardly even notice it. Overall I am very happy with my New Tribe saddle. Of course, anything is better than the buttstrap saddle I was climbing with before!

That being said I am beginning to see the virtues of a fully floating D. My next saddle will probably be a Butterfly or Tree Austria, or something of that ilk. I'm going to make sure I get the opportunity to try it on first, though.

One thing I would look at is the adjustment of the leg straps on the back of the saddle. To tight and it sqeezes the children. Mine is all the way down with a 1/2" or so of strap left to spare, serves me fine, and I seem to have big legs.

Back