New Wood Burning Worry Wart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter in the south!

It gets cold in Mississippi??? Cold enough to run a wood stove?? WOW!! You learn something new every day I suppose.... Does it ever snow there??

:msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy:

Here is a pic taken from my side porch early Christmas morning two years ago

163443d1293299233-dec25_003-jpg

Before we moved here (NW georgia kinda sorta a little close to chattanooga tennesse), we lived a couple counties over due east at higher elevation, about a hmmm 600 feet or so higher, one winter we had 11 snowfalls. This is the similar latitude to north mississippi.

If you look on a map of the US, follow the appalachians down, see how they hang a louie and go right across georgia/alabama etc. There's decent enough skiing all the way down to the north carolina mountains.

Appalachian Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyplace in this zone/latitude, right to the bottom of the range, gets a "real" winter with a heating season,(I have seen it below 0 before here, and single digits and teens are common) and it gets cold enough all the way down to north florida to want "some" heat on some days in the winter. No, it isn't like maine and across all the border states, but yep! We heat. Heck, I wouldn't be here on the firewood site if we didn't. Like I said, I burn 4 cords plus a season, and it ain't for giggles...

So we have real winter in this latitude, but not so much heavy snow all the time so they salt the roads all over like up north, just some of the bridges and overpasses, so our used vehicles are *nice* down here, they aren't all rusted to crap. Very civilized, any snow or worse ice, we get a lot of that, we stay home! Well, half and half. The dorkheads go out and slide into a ditch, one or the other, about equal really.

rant mode on

Almost all schools/government/places like that close on snow days. This is a good idea. Some businesses do, the smart ones anyway. The dumb ones with retard bosses insist their employees get to work without snow tires, chains, or much in the way of snow driving practice. That has always been annoying to me, insisting your employees risk a crash for at most one or two days work. The crap melts off fast. And it doesn't matter if anyone "you" is just the bestus gosh darn winter driver ever, you still risk a chance of having someone else slide into you. The news is always ull of hundreds/thousands of fenderbender incidences (or worse) stories every winter storm here. They (various governors "they) should insist on corporations admitting to physical reality and just mandate a shutdown (just like a mandatory coastal evacuation) until the roads melt. They don't have the infrastructure to plow everywhere and salt, etc, just doesn't exist. I really..hmm..really, can't remember the last time I saw joe blow with a pickup and a plow. Doesn't exist. And even 4wd with fat mud meats on them (what is here, again, just reality)..sucks on ice bigtime. No telling how much insurance price is reflected in this idiotic insistance on "trying" to make it to work...emergency services yes, everyone else should stay home..and we get your typical panic buying at the stores, too..instead of stocking well up in advance (like we do). I work at home, so I pretty much stay home anyway....I like it. Pay sucks, ringe "benefits" are great!

/rant off

Biggest blizzard/snowstorm ever here was the storm of the century, march '93. That was pretty darn good for a regular winter snowstorm! I had a single wide I was renting out in the national forest in the mountains with a heatilator fireplace at the time, yep, burned wood, had mayber a full cord or better "stocked up",(cut with my old electric craftsman with the powersharp on it...) propane furnace wouldn't work without juice, and no juice for near a week and had no genny at the time...I loved it! I had more dang fun than should be allowed! I know it was ultimate bad news here and there for some people, like any big storm, but just from what I went through, nice. I like getting "snowed in".

1993 Storm of the Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there ya go! Yes, the "south" has a real heating season. Nope, not near as wintry as "up north", but, it exists. And it can be "mixed" we get ice/blizzard/rain/lightning thunderstorms! that's pretty common.

We typically heat from like around halloween to at least april. That's a mild winter, although it REALLY varies. This year, first fire in september! And two years I remember getting tomatoes on christmas day from the garden! So you never know, just depends.

....excellent exposition Zogger.
And Mr. Zog you got.......
.......................................................................................................................................
.................. some mean reptiles.

P.S. Anyone here know the intimacies of Camp Elgin at any time of year ? :sweat3:

If you look on a map of the US, follow the appalachians down, see how they hang a louie and go right across georgia/alabama etc. There's decent enough skiing all the way down to the north carolina mountains.

Beech Mountain ski resort, just north and above me, had their earliest opening in their 50+ year history this year. October 30. Heavy flurries at my lower elevation, but no sticking. I worked that morning until the leaves were too wet to blow, and it took 3 hours and a whole armload of wood to warm up!

....excellent exposition Zogger.
And Mr. Zog you got.......
.......................................................................................................................................
.................. some mean reptiles.

P.S. Anyone here know the intimacies of Camp Elgin at any time of year ? :sweat3:

I actually rammed "old george" with my canoe once down in florida! Scared the ever loving whizz outta me! Was camping in..hmm..hillsborough state park?? I think so, hillsborough river. Took my canoe out, was gonna beach on this little sprit next to a cypress log..bumped the log..log stood up, swiveled a head at me and showed about two feet of teeth! Man, I was roostertailing paddling backwards! About as big as my canoe! Went back to the ranger station, said "you got people camping in TENTS right next to the river here and there's a DINOSAUR out there! They started laughing "I guess you saw old george". "You mean GODZILLA"?!

And I was snorkeling around in that river! Now I saw some babies to around 5 footers swimming around, but, really...

Bwahahah.. they told me they had trapped him and checked him out and tagged him a few years previous. At the time he was 13 feet and 800 lbs! I *rammed* him and he woke up and stood up! Swiveled his head over the bow and opened his jaws..TEETH, and lots o 'em! Big brand teeth...Man, talk about a shock to both of us....

Saw a post a while back where you use bubble wrap. Squirt the window with some water and press the flat side to the glass. Supposed the be like +5 insulation rating.
I have tried bubble wrap also.
They do have advantages.
Easily installed ,inexpensive and they let in daylight.
Disadvantages
You can't see outside the window and they don't really stick to the windows very well.(eventually they fall off)
Window plugs will give you a few inches of dead airspace + an inch of insulation.
They work much better in my opinion especially if you have metal framed windows.(as i recall his are wood framed) also direct sunlight will heats air better than diffused light during daytime hours thus using less firewood.
For a tall fixed window bubble wrap is an excellent application.

Your setup sounds just like my setup at my first house where I lived until May of 2011. Heated 1,200 sq. ft. with a Quadrafire 3100. I burned mostly hedge and pecan. Went through right at 2 cords of firewood. House was built in late 60's with very little insulation and drafty windows. That house was in south central Oklahoma. I got the drafts sealed up after the 1st year in the house, but still had little insulation.

If we have another mild winter you should come out about right with your 2 cords plus one, but I got a feeling we are in for an actual cold winter like we used to have (at least here in SW OK).

What tpwn in oklahoma you live by?

Beech Mountain ski resort, just north and above me, had their earliest opening in their 50+ year history this year. October 30. Heavy flurries at my lower elevation, but no sticking. I worked that morning until the leaves were too wet to blow, and it took 3 hours and a whole armload of wood to warm up!

It was Sugar Mountain Ski Resort, not Beech. Beech Mountain is always the last to open, never the first.

I also have 1 cord of 1 year old fallen dead.

So you have 3 cord...
In Mississippi that may be enough (but I don't live in Mississippi, so what do I know?).
Where I'm at 3 cord might get me through to the New Year... but not if it's colder than normal in early December.
I'm figurin' on 2-3 cord oak and 3-4 cord other this winter depending on how my new EPA firebox eats wood... and weather.
At the same time, my new firebox is ... well, new to me, so I could be way short, or way long on my figurin'.

The only way you'll ever have piece-of-mind is knowing you have way more than you can possibly burn (I know, sometimes easier said than done).
I have a "back-up" supply of fully seasoned firewood, over and above what I'm figurin' to burn - 3 cord hard maple and 8 cord oak - plus another 5 cord or so of partially seasoned oak. As well, there are several standing-dead elm, just outside my back door in my woodlot I can harvest whenever the mood strikes me.

If I were you... I'd be keepin' my eyes open for anything to add to the pile.
Either way, you'll get through... two years ago I didn't have a single stick of firewood at Halloween. Even though it was one of the coldest and snowiest winters in recent history I managed to keep the fire going by cutting dead-down and standing-dead every Saturday morning, in every sort of weather, wading waste deep in snow... and we only fired-up the LP furnace once. I burned whatever dead wood I could get to, some of it a bit wet, some of it a bit "punky"... elm, pine, fir, cherry, Hackberry, walnut, Silver Maple, some unidentified, and I hate to admit it, even one Box Elder and a large downed Cottonwood branch (but I'll deny it if you ask me again). When you've got the "shorts" in firewood... well, it don't pay to be a "firewood snob". Take what you can get... when you can get it.

Latest posts

Back