New Wood Wagon,set me back less than most of my saws....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Audiano

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I love me an old pickup truck with my black lab Cool Hand Luke beside me. Recently sold my ratty old Suburban and my wife uses my new F-150 once in a while and gets a little upset about dog hair on her work suits:dizzy: Needless to say,have had my eyes out for a crasher to load with wood, run into trees and not worry too much about.
Driving down the road last week I spy an old bomber Ford in a snow bank with a cardboard sign in the window:FOR SALE No other info,just for sale.So I go ring the fellas door bell and he says,"Aw,some guy is supposed to be buying it for a while now.But I haven't seen him and I darn sure haven't seen any money."

No big deal,I get ready to leave, and on a whim I slip him my number and tell him if the guy don't come through,give me a call. He acts less than thrilled, but takes my number and I figure that is that.

Lo and behold my phone rings Saturday night,and he says if you want it,come and get it. Talked to the fella and he says he really don't want it,etc.....

I dash over and seal the deal with the fella. Had told him I would come through with a hundred more than the other fella was going to pay for it.

I am the proud owner of a new to me 1968 Ford F-350 dually,straight six 200,original Philco AM radio,a heater that blows you outta the cab,55 and 2 air conditioning, with a twin cylinder dump bed and couldn't be happier.Runs like a top.Dump and hydraulics are super shape. Guy bought her 10 years ago and put a whopping 5K miles on her since hauling a load of water every two weeks.

95K original miles.I was kind of upset one of the headlights didn't work on the way home last night. I guess you just don't get as much for $400 as you used to.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:He was tickled to get a hundred more than the other guy was going to give him. I may just paint her two tone Stihl colors.

DSC_1190.jpg

Last edited:
I love the old trucks. You can fix them with duct tape and baling wire and be proud of the repairs. You got a good deal there.

Mr. HE:cool:

Smokin deal, same age as me! I think its a 300 cid six, not a 200, but I ain't a Ford guy. And a dump, wow.:clap:

You'd get $500 for that motor around here. I had a 70 Ford and it had a 252 or 256 straight 6 in it. It was a 3 on the tree. I remember when shifting into 2nd, your arm was up in front of your face. Kinda dangerous by todays standards.

I just picked up an 87 S15 longbed 4WD with the 2.8. 90K on it. I know its a dog, but the 4wd was completely gone over by the guy I bought it from, and the price was right.

Nice truck, and great deal.

Around her that truck would bring 1500.00 if not more, field stone is big business so trucks with dump beds or dual wheels get trashed under the weight or the mountains get em. Good buy you got IMO.

I had a '71 F100 with the 240 CID straight six, three speed on the column, no PS, no PB, AM radio, heater. The front cab mounts rusted out and the cab sort of collapsed in front of the doors (I think I detect the same condition on yours). I had to replace a bearing in the end of the steering column to get it to turn and shift, and bend the throttle linkage to pull the butterfly wide open again, but I did haul a lot of wood before the timing chain finally let go.

I once carried a VW Bettle about 85 miles from Newton to Cedar Falls, IA in the back of that truck, the front end hung out the back end of the truck and the front wheels would touch the ground on bigger dips in the road.

All things considered, I dont' think I'd want such a vintage truck again, but then I have to drive my truck 20K + miles a year still.

Having the dump box would really be nice for speeding up the wood hauling process...

Mark

NICE FIND!!.. even though iam not a ford fan.. but for $500 i sappose i could cross over to the "other side" for that price.

Nice truck...Gotta love those old jobs. Had a 77 F100 300 six sweet truck.

What a bomber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it...your a rock star.:cheers:.....rep sent

now thats real truck,, i had a 69 van, same engine, put over 200k miles on it, and sold it still running... had a big brass door knob for teh shifter, and when you pushed teh clutch, it went to 3rd gear by itself............
it would look good with a paint job, but i vote for poulan lime green!!!

Sweet ride for sure, I have a 67 F100 with a 352 big block. I did put air shocks on the back of mine to try and help the payload capacity but I don't drive her to much anyhow. The only pictures I have of mine are background photo's from when I have been shooting pics of my motorcycle collection. It now has about 20" of snow piled on it with more coming down now.
ZRX043.jpg

im no ford man. In fact im a die hard bowtie man and for that much id still buy that truck

There are some nice old Fords in there, I like dump box,do it stihl colors and get a custom made pinstripe to look like a chain.(custom vinyl signage place).

We had a dump box at work mounted on each side of the frame we had solid mount boxes for other tools and such.Ours had Armstrong steering and no power brakes.We could lock it in 4lo and slip the clutch and gramps in his walker could go faster,but it would pull anything up almost any grade. Top speed a whoppin 45MPH (72 KMH)with a generous 12.5 miles to the gallon!

Latest posts

Back