Newbie Husky Gas vent issue on a 51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony H

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Brand new to the site. "Hi"

My neighbor dropped off his older Husky saw. I'm the neighborhood Mr Fix It The saw had been running OK last time it ran.
Actually it still runs OK except it starves for fuel and dies after running it a while. I can literally hear the gas tank sucking in air slowly after the saw stalls. It has to be a Venting issue. There is only one Fuel line on this saw so I assume the Filler Cap has the venting mechanism. Can someone verify that? And is there a way to clear the 'clogged' vent on these caps? It didn't look obvious to me.

Another question: is there an adjustment for the Auto Oiler? His saw is dumping oil down the side of the saw way too much.

I'm very mechanically inclined, just not familiar with this saw.

vent valve?

Hi from another newbie. This might or might not help.
I am not a chainsaw mechanic, but I have 55 which is basically the same
saw except for piston and cylinder.
I looked at an IPL part list I had. It shows a part going into tank unit
on clutch side of saw. I googled the part # and found a third party
description of the part as a valve.
IPL's for 51's are probably still available on Husqvarna USA website.

adjustable oiler

I don't think they have adjustment screw.
The owners manual that came with my saw doesn't mention an adjustment.
The manual covers 51's and 55's.
If you haven't already I would check oil hole in bar and bar groove the
drive links ride in for sawdust blockage.

I'll eyeball the Clutchside of the saw for this Additional hose or one-way valve.
I just plated with the saw real quick last night and heard the sucking combined with the stalling. Since I had other plans for the evening and the chain oil had me a bit Ticked off ( I didn't expect a floor full of it). I put the saw down and looked for answers here before doing more exploring.

The Bar was looking beyond raggity, Maybe he's got issues where the oiler meets the Bar.

Thanks
P.S. he had the same manual in the carrying case but it is so well preserved with Chain oil that it was very hard to read.

Last edited:
Sorry for an additional post... I looked on their website for a breakdown and Parts list. It's as if the 51 never existed.

I e-mailed Husky asking why they do not have info on their older saws. No response from Sweden yet

NICE!!!!!!!!!

maybe figure 'E' just above the handle is the vent. No description, just part numbers but I'll take a look at the saw tonight.

NICE!!!!!!!!!

maybe figure 'E' just above the handle is the vent. No description, just part numbers but I'll take a look at the saw tonight.

If you have a part # for what you think is the vent, use it to search at a parts supplier web site like partstree.com. If it finds the part from the part #, it should provide a brief name or description as well.

p.n. 501873101

This part # is shown parts tree website as FUEL TANK VENT.
It is on the IPL in fuel tank section.
It may behind clutch cover. I was interested because I have a 55
and didn't know how it vented either.

If you have a part # for what you think is the vent, use it to search at a parts supplier web site like partstree.com. If it finds the part from the part #, it should provide a brief name or description as well.

We have a WINNER!!

Typed it in Partstree and the description comes up " Fuel Tank Vent".

Thanks all

Saved me a bunch of guess work.

Just to figure out why the chain oil is running badly. I'm sure it'll be obvious when I get the cover off.

Parts supplier for Stihl??

Is ther e a place like the PARTSTREE for Stihl? They seem to be very proprietary with their stuff. Seems like a good reason to look elsewhere for a good saw.
After messing around, I found complete parts list for Dolmar and Husqvarna saws on their websites. Stihl is not that forthcoming.
Something as simple as a Carb Rebuild kit seems to be a big secret. Do they use Walbro or Zama or someone else?

Back