newbie intro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy all! My name is Dow. I found this site looking for info. on an old 056 Mag II that I have, belonged to my dad. She's a monster of a saw, but yep, you guessed it...no spark anymore. I read and re-read all the posts about the 56's here...and talked to "Hotshot" about it. Wow, I cant believe all the variation in ignitions and flywheels...and everything else on these saws. With lots of research and lots of calling across the country, I've found a new in box electronic ignition module for the old gal. I know the Mag II's used the SEM module....and the one I got is a SEM, but its made by Selettra, an Italian company. Hotshot bought one a number of years ago and its still going strong. Has anybody else used one of these and can share their thoughts? Better than the original SEM modules, or just as crappy? Very pricey, but worth it to me, to keep one of the old man's saws going strong. He bought it new in '80 or '81. A big thanks to Hotshot and everybody else here who has previously had these issues and posted their wisdom and knowledge here....it really helped me out.
I work for the railroad in Washington state, so I'm gone a lot, but the runs we go on are breathtaking. From Seattle to Wenatchee, over Steven's Pass and thru the Cascade Mountain range on the old Great Northern lines....very historical and beautiful run. I get to see a lot of the forest that the general public does not. One of my best freinds has a cabin up there, and we cut a lot of Tamarack and "BIG" Red fir, Doug fir...etc. The 056 really rips thru that stuff and whoops his newer 066 and 044 magnum. Ya its big, ya its heavy, but she's BAD! One of the preferred saws here in the timber industry over the last 30 years. I'm finding more and more of my generation doesnt appreciate this technology, and I'm trying to make a difference and educate them by keeping this stuff running and active. Hopefully I can get the old girl to growl back to life with this new ignition. Long live the old German Muscle saw!
I dont have some of the neat stuff you guys have but my line-up includes: Stihl 015, 029, 038AV, 041, 045, 051, 056AV MAG II, and a 090. And I've got a nasty little BarkBuster screw style log splitter! Hope to see u guys around.

Dow

Howdy all! My name is Dow. I found this site looking for info. on an old 056 Mag II that I have, belonged to my dad. She's a monster of a saw, but yep, you guessed it...no spark anymore. I read and re-read all the posts about the 56's here...and talked to "Hotshot" about it. Wow, I cant believe all the variation in ignitions and flywheels...and everything else on these saws. With lots of research and lots of calling across the country, I've found a new in box electronic ignition module for the old gal. I know the Mag II's used the SEM module....and the one I got is a SEM, but its made by Selettra, an Italian company. Hotshot bought one a number of years ago and its still going strong. Has anybody else used one of these and can share their thoughts? Better than the original SEM modules, or just as crappy? Very pricey, but worth it to me, to keep one of the old man's saws going strong. He bought it new in '80 or '81. A big thanks to Hotshot and everybody else here who has previously had these issues and posted their wisdom and knowledge here....it really helped me out.
I work for the railroad in Washington state, so I'm gone a lot, but the runs we go on are breathtaking. From Seattle to Wenatchee, over Steven's Pass and thru the Cascade Mountain range on the old Great Northern lines....very historical and beautiful run. I get to see a lot of the forest that the general public does not. One of my best freinds has a cabin up there, and we cut a lot of Tamarack and "BIG" Red fir, Doug fir...etc. The 056 really rips thru that stuff and whoops his newer 066 and 044 magnum. Ya its big, ya its heavy, but she's BAD! One of the preferred saws here in the timber industry over the last 30 years. I'm finding more and more of my generation doesnt appreciate this technology, and I'm trying to make a difference and educate them by keeping this stuff running and active. Hopefully I can get the old girl to growl back to life with this new ignition. Long live the old German Muscle saw!
I dont have some of the neat stuff you guys have but my line-up includes: Stihl 015, 029, 038AV, 041, 045, 051, 056AV MAG II, and a 090. And I've got a nasty little BarkBuster screw style log splitter! Hope to see u guys around.

Dow

Dow---I'm so glad you found the ignition parts for your 056---now you can consider selling me that 051 you show in your line-up. Welcome.

Latest posts

Back