Newbie isn't sure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tables are not really for catching as much as they are for being able to throw big rounds on them instead of a narrow beam (I have a bad back and need all the help I can get). Secondary purpose I may be able to slide a split half as storage until ready for it.

I do plan on making a removable table later on for the front.

The hoses are going to be custom fitted later this week (hopefully) and it was mentioned previously to go with 3/4" lines? What are the pros and cons between them and 1/2"?

Are we split on tank size around here? I read that bigger is better for cooling and all of that good stuff... ? I do have a strainer and filter to be added in with it.

Thanks for the replies!

Are we split on tank size around here?

Compare your cylinder/pump/tank to factory built splitters. What size of tank do they use?? In all but the VERY top end machines, I think you find that they use a tank of less than 1/2 of the GPM output of the pump.

To some extent 'bigger is better'. No real down sides other than excess cost, weight and fluid cost. there are advantages.
I don't hear disagreement against larger tanks, just that they are not 'requirements' to be of certain sizes.
Large tank volume makes up for a lot of poor design (like large round freon tanks made into hydraulic fluid resrvoirs), but large tanks are not essential if there is good design.

k

The tables after the wedge are definately a big plus.

With the tables forward of the wedge you will spend much less time bending over to pick spits back up off the ground to resplit.

Saves you time and back pain.

My splitter has "arms" or brackets that help steady and keep a round from falling off, the exit tables are positioned forward of the wedge to catch 1/2 rounds etc so they don't fall on the ground.

Your tables you have there will give you a really nice surface for working the rounds.. see how you like them there and then decide what you want to do to make things easier for you, the operator.

again, nice work!

Back