Newbie questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help, seems like I’m reading too deep into things. I’m just going to run the saw and enjoy it and not worry too much.

The ethanol is not the issue. How fast you use it up is. 90 days is the limit. I even have issues with non ethanol from the local vendors because it sits in the tank too long. It will make water too.
Occasionally dump the saw tank out when near empty. Dump the fuel can out before refill. Pour some out into a glass jar to check water level.
Scoff at me all you want. 75% of what I repair has water in the fuel. Eats carburetors, scores cylinders.
Fix the easy stuff first.
I noticed when I dump out my saws fuel about once or twice a year I see water in there. I also put VP fuel in when winter slows down the daily use dramatically. Line trimmers especially don't get used all winter. This produces less trouble with carbs in the spring .

Started this one up and ran it yesterday to cut up a pine tree
Had not been started and run in years Put in some fuel, pulled about eight or 10 times to get the fuel in the system and it started up and ran and idled great
Only problem is the Auto oiler did not want to work so I filled the oil tank with a mix of diesel fuel and bar oil and started pumping the manual oiler while I ran it
Within a few minutes, it started pumping fine and ended up pumping nearly the full tank of oil when I ran out the first tank of gas
These saws are built with magnesium cases like any professional saw. They have really good torque, and they sound like a race car sitting on the line burbling and idling.

This is the craftsman version of the counter vibes that were built in the 80s and as far as as I am concerned they were as good as any saw ever built

You can often find used ones for $50-$100 and if you replace the fuel lines, rebuild the carb and maybe get the oiler working they are fantastic firewood saws

Built in the USA. 40 years old and still run like new.

Anyone who disses all Poulans knows absolutely nothing about their old saws.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Back