Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirciulie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello there folks.

I've been lurking for a couple of days on this forum. Need it to find some info about the type of firewood that I have.

I thought it would be a good ideea to join and share (I mean find answers :bowdown: ) my experiences.

So, here's my story:
I leave in the great suburbia and got tired of paying the bill on my heating. I had an gas fireplace in the house, just a box and that thing was useless. Educated myself a bit and figured out that I can put a wood fireplace insert instead. Found a deal on craigslist and went for it. Nice little Lopi insert with glass door and fan. It even came with the pipe so I managed to get that inside my chimney. I'm constantly looking arround for free firewood (to justify the fireplace) and got 2 truck loads (6' bed) from a coworker. Nice and dry. But didn't last long. Now, this winter I milked, since I've got the fireplace in November. My bill went from 200 bucks to arround 80. THat's great :rock:

I'm decided to start this spring by getting free wood from whereve I can and season it. I have a good start at it. Friend of mine downed two trees and I went and picked up a load already. Have no clue what kind it is. I just know it's really dense. I'll post some pics later on. I'm pretty excited about this.

I found on this forum a good reference to the Audubon SOciety Field Guide to the N American trees. I hope to buy that this week.

The fireplace has been a great investment. We tend to spend more time in front of the fireplace than at TV in the winter. Really nice felling.

Got a question, just to begin: how much wood should I burn in a season? I have n 1600 sq ft. house and leave in Oregon, which is not really cold. Night times it goes down to 25F for 3 months in a year.

SO, I'll get done with this before it turns into whole article :blob2:

Thanks Jimfound

Hey, thanks man.

I just remember that this morning right after work I'll stop by my friends property and pick up some more wood. Now if I can get a logsplitter :bang:

Don't get me wrong. I love splitting wood, but I have a sloped driveway and that's pretty much the only way I can do it. PITA.

I'll take some pics with the fireplace. Maybe today. Depends how that wood will kick my behind.

:givebeer:

I just know it's really dense.

I'm a newbie too and one of the things I learned recently is how decieving fresh cut wood can be. Some woods seem real heavy and dense but it's just all water... damn poplar :cry: Just about any free wood is good though if you got the space to store it.

Here's the pics

So, I know this is hardwood. What do you guys say about it?

What do you guys say about it?
I got a bunch of poplar too. I knew it's softwood, but didn't care then. It's gonna be good in the fall when I don't really need that much heat.

I got a bunch of poplar too. I knew it's softwood, but didn't care then. It's gonna be good in the fall when I don't really need that much heat.

Free wood is free wood. It all burns. There are some species that I have heard stink when burned but even there you won't smell it in the house ...neighbors tho...

I didn't quite follow what a sloped drive has to do with splitting wood?

Ah, almost forgot - how much will you need? I would guess around 3 cords of 'good' wood in your area. I go around 6 cord or a bit more of 'poor' wood here in E WA with a bit more severe climate.

Harry K

I didn't quite follow what a sloped drive has to do with splitting wood?
Harry K

I might be off, but I think he meant that his yard is sloped so he has no flat ground on which to chop. If so, just find a good solid round and bury it, leaving more exposed on the downhill side. There you have your chopping block (see pic).

Poplar I have found is great kindling - just chop it fine and you will never again be down with your face in the fire doing your best Dizzy Gillespie impersonation!

Heating requirements

Welcome to AS.

If you are going to heat 100% with wood, I would guess you would need around 5 cords of mixed "hardwoods." I went through a little over 5 cords this year and we didn't have a very cold winter for Pennsylvania. I also went through 1/2 tank of fuel oil (about 130 gallons). We are heating a 2600 sq. foot 2 story.

Finally, I love these wood ID threads. I am about 1/24 on guessing correctly, so take my guesses with a laugh and a grain of salt!! The wood pic looks like Scarlett Oak (Red Oak family) to me.

Hi and welcome to AS. You will want to make sure your chimney is up to snuff as soon as possible. In our 130 yr old house.... the chimney was brick with no flue tile, so we had to have a stainless liner installed. Always have your chimney / stovepipe cleaned at least once a year(or buy a brush and do it yourself!). I started burning wood a few years ago when oil started to go through the roof..... and have never looked back ! Wood burning is not for everyone, but for me going from $1500 a year , to about three hundred to heat the house was a no-brainer ! Of course.... you too may find yourself spending the money you save every year on more equipment to make life easier.... such as a wood splitter, two, or three, or six chainsaws.... a utility trailer to save on trips to wherever you find your wood, etc. As you have realized.... as long as you keep your ear to the ground, and tell everyone you know, and some you don't.... that you are looking for firewood, you can heat your home for nearly nothing.

Red Oak?

You will want to make sure your chimney is up to snuff as soon as possible. .... that you are looking for firewood, you can heat your home for nearly nothing.

Thanks guy for the quick answer.

Red Oak you say? I was thinking Alder, but what do I know? That's good news anyway. One of the best wood we can get here. :clap:

I took a pic of the fireplace also. I love that thing.

I meant I have no room were to temporary store then split my wood because of the sloped driveway. THat's a good ideea to burry a round and use it. That way I don't need to lift them anymore to get them of the ground when splitting. That's why I'm here for advice :bowdown:

So, hope to get all the wood at my house this week, then split and stack it thight for now untill the rains stop. THen I'll get it out in the sun for drying. I'll put it against the fence in the backyard, to my wife's despair. I know ya'll jump on my that I need to keep it away from fence, but that's my only option. I'll try to leave an inch or so gap.

Thanks guy for the quick answer.

Red Oak you say? I was thinking Alder, but what do I know? That's good news anyway. One of the best wood we can get here. :clap:

Ahhhhh...don't take our word for it yet...the jury is still out. Just saw you are in Oregon. Lets wait for more replies on ID'ing that wood.

2 years seasoning?

So, if it's oak, then I'll need like 2 years to season it?:cry: I hope not. Cause I need it by next winter! That's what I think I read somewhere: oak needs 2 years to properly season.

Gotta figure out exactly where to stack it actually. WIfe is not to excited about having it on the fence :mad:

But, I think I'll just let her steam go off then do whatever I want. Isn't that what we (man) do all the time anyway :hmm3grin2orange: ?

I stoped in da morning at a book store and picked up the National Audubon Society Field Guide for N American trees as some of you fellas recomended in here. Looks plenty detailed, but I think I'll have a bit of a hard time as a beginner. I guess that's the best way to learn: grab it by the horns!
Next time I'll stop to pick up more wood I'll look for some acorns or fruit whatever the tree had. I didn't see anything when I was there today, cause it's after winter and either it's burried in the ground or people that had the house before cleaned up in the fall that good that there isn't anything left.

Maybe Oregon White Oak? Man, it would be nice to have some leafs.

Gotta figure out exactly where to stack it actually. WIfe is not to excited about having it on the fence :mad:

But, I think I'll just let her steam go off then do whatever I want. Isn't that what we (man) do all the time anyway :hmm3grin2orange: ?

Of course and it works well indeed ... as long as what you want to do agrees with what she wants:laugh:

Harry K

Looks like maple to me. Just brought a big load home today. The oak Oregon has tends to be central to south.Northern Oregon my bet is on Big Leaf Maple. I like a mix of Doug fir and maple. Fir can be sooty but mixed with maple keeps the chimmney clean.
Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
Looks like maple to me. Just brought a big load home today. The oak Oregon has tends to be central to south.Northern Oregon my bet is on Big Leaf Maple. I like a mix of Doug fir and maple. Fir can be sooty but mixed with maple keeps the chimmney clean.
Welcome to the site.
Dang! Lost me detailed post GAH! :bang:
Anyhoo, yup, ^^agree^^ thought it looked very maple-ish too some sort of acer. Most of the oaks I recall weren't that smooth of the larger branches and according to this site
http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/blnredo.htm the terminal ends are multiple, which doesn't look like the sprig in pic #2 (great tree id site btw for those not familiar with it).
That red heart really throws me off but I thought aha, red maple (though they are an eastern species, so probabaly not, oi) image of bark here >
http://forestry.about.com/od/forestphotogalleries/ig/Dormant-Winter-Tree-Gallery/index.02.htm (previous page has a bud pic). Look-see around that site you'll probaly find a 'for-sure' id, lots of links to pics etc. etc.. :)
Either way both great firewoods imo (especially the 'free' variety) though the oak will take longer to season I think.

:cheers: and Welcome!

Serge

Quick dumb edit here> And ooo I'm burning a 125yr old (25' x 6") branch that came off a douglas fir last year, this is the third day now, down to about 4 14" pieces left (it was only three armloads anyway), stuff is almost coal-like talk about milage, me like!

Last edited:
Do they even have Red Oak in the PNW? I remember FHCW saying that he would kill for some Red Oak firewood a year ago. I vote for Alder.

Back