newer Ford deisels, anything good to say about em

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone here own a newer Ford diesel and uses it for hauling things like firewood or any heavy trailer, any engine improvements to improve fuel millage if so what did you do to it and how much more KMs per mile did you get, I'm going to Buy a newer diesel [ 07-08 ] pretty soon to haul firewood with a goose neck 7 ton cap dump trailer and I'm looking at GMC, Ford and Dodge and I would like to know what you guys think of any one particular truck.

from my research I have found that Chevy's diesels are much stronger and last longer than ford. If I got a diesel then it would be Chevy. My next truck will be gas and probably a Ford but it all comes down to payments for me.

I haul wood with 02 dodge 2500 with 24 valve cummins - love my truck. I also pull 7 ton goose neck. Only problem I have is weight of trailer full of wood (2 cord) is way over 10,000lbs As you may know in Ontario you need to upgrade license to pull over 10,000. If I load more 1 cord in the trailer I am taking a chance on getting fined if I get weighed.

Last edited:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts, The Diesel Stop, and Powerstroke.org are three message boards that you can go to and read through the forums.

Each one contains 6.0 and 6.4 forums where you can read about those two later models of Ford powerstroke engines.

FWIW, I prefer Ford, but would not buy either of those two engines. The 6.0 is a crap shoot, although the later years are reputed to be good engines (05 and up). The 6.4 is still relatively unproven, but many repair procedures involve taking the cab off - once the truck is out of warranty that translates to big repair $$. Also, the mileage reported for the 6.4 is not great, although I have not read up on this engine for about a year.

If my 7.3 ever dies and cannot be rebuilt, I would put a Cummins in it before putting a 6.0 or 6.4 in it.

HTH

out of the 08 trucks the fords are probably the best out of the three of them. I worked for a ford dealer before the closed and the 6.4 are doing pretty good for the most part they just dont get the milage a diesel should. the new cummins motor is having problems and i have never cared for gm. If you are looking for a new truck you might want to look into the ford v10 they have none of the problems of the new diesels and they still make a ton of power. they v10 is taking over around here because no one want to risk buying a new diesel.

If it has an EGR, I'll pass on it. If it has a DPF, I'll pass on it twice as fast. I love my 95, & 96 Cummins 12v....:biggrinbounce2:

:agree2: Unless you are getting a new leftover or something, you may want to buy one that is a couple years older without the DPF. Reports from the guys around here with the new trucks are good power, but terrible mileage due to I'm guessing the particulate filter and other emissions equipment required to meet the new epa regulations. By terrible I mean about 12-13mpg or less compared to a truck that a couple years back that would be pushing 20.

I know there were massive recalls on the 6.0 when it came out, and another 45,000 or so 6.4's were recalled when they came out also. I think they got the kinks worked out now, and I see a lot running around here. I certainly would hope on a $40k truck you would not have to worry, but...

I rode with a guy today who is part owner and manager of a small earthmoving company. It was an F-350 diesel. It gets less mpg than the pickup it replaced. The diesel option is about $8000 more, and the math doesn't compute well for the diesel, so he may go with a gas engine next time.

He said the emission control equipment mandated by the government reduces the fuel efficiency. Isn't THAT ironic! And some of you people want to put that same government in charge of your healthcare?????:dizzy:

Let me preface with "I work for FORD" so I do have a horse in this race. That being said, avoid the 03,04 6.0 liter diesels. Ford has taken a beating on this motor when it was an international issue. The injectors seats werent machined correctly causing fuel to leak into the oil pan. I wish Ford would buy the rights to the cummins again, we would be unstoppable. Even though the issue may have been fixed, there is still a chance you could buy a used one that has been run that way. I think the issue was fine after that. The new 6.4 I havent heard alot bad about, but I havent researched it at all. With this said, I still need a job so Im gonna tell you to BUY A NEW ONE!!...lol Seriously though if anyone on here wants an X-plan for a truck I can save ya a little money. I think I can give like eight a year away, just pm me.

Let me preface with "I work for FORD" so I do have a horse in this race. That being said, avoid the 03,04 6.0 liter diesels. Ford has taken a beating on this motor when it was an international issue. The injectors seats werent machined correctly causing fuel to leak into the oil pan. I wish Ford would buy the rights to the cummins again, we would be unstoppable. Even though the issue may have been fixed, there is still a chance you could buy a used one that has been run that way. I think the issue was fine after that. The new 6.4 I havent heard alot bad about, but I havent researched it at all. With this said, I still need a job so Im gonna tell you to BUY A NEW ONE!!...lol Seriously though if anyone on here wants an X-plan for a truck I can save ya a little money. I think I can give like eight a year away, just pm me.

When I buy the truck [ gm, dodge, ford ] it will be 07 or newer. I just want the diesel for the hauling capability and fuel mileage, Dodge and gm have decent fuel millage but Ford I'm not to sure as the guys that I know who have them do not have any modules or upgrades [ chips ] to even help with the fuel millage so right out of the box fuel mileage is not to good. But I love Ford that's another problem.

I will soon outgrow my Dodge truck and need to buy someting with a 14,000 to 16,000lb GVWR. I already did the math on that and have my next truck picked out.

If you dont mind me asking, what are you buying the next time around?

I have had two Dodge CTD 2500's now and I haven't had one problem with them what so ever. I pull my dump trailer filled with gravel ( 12k + ) atleast once a week and never even went through a U-joint yet..

There is no way I would consider buying one with a dpf (07,08,09...) unless you live in an area where you could get away with removing it. The new fords aren't too bad on fuel with no dpf and a program, they get well over 20 mpg. If I were in the market for one today I would look for an 06 GM. That, in my opinion, is the best diesel GM has built. Nothing wrong with Cummins aside from the Dodge interiors and fenderwells that are cut 6" too high. Its a matter of preference. My advise is to buy a low mileage 05 or 06 GM, Ford, or Dodge. Those were simply the best years.

There is no way I would consider buying one with a dpf (07,08,09...) unless you live in an area where you could get away with removing it. The new fords aren't too bad on fuel with no dpf and a program, they get well over 20 mpg. If I were in the market for one today I would look for an 06 GM. That, in my opinion, is the best diesel GM has built. Nothing wrong with Cummins aside from the Dodge interiors and fenderwells that are cut 6" too high. Its a matter of preference. My advise is to buy a low mileage 05 or 06 GM, Ford, or Dodge. Those were simply the best years.

what's a DPF ???

were they newer Dodges????

My first one was a 2001. It was an outstanding truck. But, the kids started to grow and they could no longer fit comfortably in the small back seat. So, I reluctantly traded it for a 2005 quad cab a few years ago. It has Plenty of room in the back even for adults. It also has the newer common rail diesel in it and it is just as reliable as my 2001 was.

Latest posts

Back