newer Ford deisels, anything good to say about em

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own three diesel pickups. Two 95 & 96 Dodge with CTD 12v's, and an 05 F350 6.0L. The Ford is fast, very fast, big and comfy, put 147k miles of towing on it, every day towing. Had it up for sale for the past six months. Took it out for a spin last night and puked a head gasket. $2600 repair on a truck that I have listed for $10,000. I'll either part it out or swap in a Cummins and sell the motor / tranny.

There is no way I would consider buying one with a dpf (07,08,09...) unless you live in an area where you could get away with removing it. The new fords aren't too bad on fuel with no dpf and a program, they get well over 20 mpg. .

I have never seen a newer poerstroke that gets anywhere near 20MPG. My co worker has an 06 and he gets about 14 MPG and another just bought an 08 and he said he gets about the same..

I have never seen a newer poerstroke that gets anywhere near 20MPG. My co worker has an 06 and he gets about 14 MPG and another just bought an 08 and he said he gets about the same..

I got 20mpg running from Mn to Ne empty with a tail wind in my '05 F350. Only time. That's why I went to the CTD 12v. I can run a 15k lb load into the cities and back home (empty) and get near that.

I know a couple a guys that have newer Fords and these trucks have every power chip and module along with the ram air kit and exhaust kit to increase MPG and the most they ever got empty was 17 MPG I think they said it was down to the 10-12MPG mark when they had their 5Th wheel on it, and then another friend has a 2004 Dodge and he gets 16-17 mpg pulling his 5Th wheel and 23-24 mpg empty.

my buddy had a "friend" try to sell him a newer Ford diesel PU...truck just had $2500+ engine work.

what I told my buddy was to read up in a few Ford diesel forums before buying. he did and passed on Ford diesel...

he ended up getting a Nissan Titan PU :monkey:

then another friend has a 2004 Dodge and he gets 16-17 mpg pulling his 5Th wheel and 23-24 mpg empty.

I have noticed ( atleast on the dodge diesel forums) that mileage does vary even with the exact same trucks. I have a 2005 with 3:73 gears, 6 speed, Edge Juice Box, AFE BHAF cold air filter, and a muffler delete and I can NOT get any better than 20 MPG empty on the highway. But, I do live in the mountains so long flat straight aways are few and far between.

I know some guys are getting 22 or 23 MPG with the same set up... Go figure.

Just realize I'm refering to trucks without a DPF and with a tune on the some of the flatest ground to be found here in corn country. Not fair to compare a stock truck on "normal" roads to what I've mentioned

I have noticed ( atleast on the dodge diesel forums) that mileage does vary even with the exact same trucks. I have a 2005 with 3:73 gears, 6 speed, Edge Juice Box, AFE BHAF cold air filter, and a muffler delete and I can NOT get any better than 20 MPG empty on the highway. But, I do live in the mountains so long flat straight aways are few and far between.

I know some guys are getting 22 or 23 MPG with the same set up... Go figure.

Very true,my dads Cummins 2wd 3500 dually gets 17-18mog city,and 19-23 mpg highway,my 4x4 2500 seems to get 16mpg no matter what,and where.I do have 4.10s though. My old truck was a 96 12v cummins w 3.54's,it got 18mpg city,and 22-23 highway easily.Should have kept that truck.

I have an '05 Ford F350 PSD, and have had zero problems w/ it. I use it mainly to pull the gooseneck w/ and it sees 20K loads all the time. When trade in time came, I elected to keep it, did not want to be a guinna pig on the new 6.4. I was lucky to get a good 6.0, and I'm keeping it. Besides, it has a few mods done to it and I didn't want to start all over again trying to get it to run right. I also didn't want flames shooting out of the exhaust pipe burning down pastures, but I think they fixed that.

ford diesel compared to a nissan????? thats like comparing a duramax and an s-10. Those 2 trucks arent in the same league.

it's not unusual for folks to sell their new cummins ... only to buy back an old 12v.

before diesel rocketed to $4 gal... older 12v cummins with low mileage sold for same price as much newer diesel trucks.

now with diesel prices down... prices seems to have come back up for good clean 12v cummins.

97 12v is the best year for cummins trucks... last full production year for 12v with all the bugs worked out. main problem is lack of manual tranny trucks for those years. something like a 20 to 1 ratio in favor of auto trannys.

my 97 12 4x4 ext cab... unfortunately has an auto transmission. been looking for a 4x4 w/MT as a donor truck to do a tranny swap.
they are really hard to find!

My old truck was a 96 12v cummins w 3.54's,it got 18mpg city,and 22-23 highway easily.Should have kept that truck.

Have an '08 F250 6.4L diesel,4x4 w/ 3.73 gears. Usually get 14 MPG mixed driving, 17+ cruising on the highway empty. All stock, nothing added. Super quiet, plenty of power, fun to drive.

(Many) others have claimed low 20's MPG with a DPF delete and tuner installed, but no first hand knowledge.

Early ones had some issues with radiators leaking (warranty covered), leaky injectors (current recall on affected units, covered under warranty). As I understand, nowhere NEAR the problems the 6.0L had in it's first year out.

If you look hard enough at any brand/engine, you WILL find problems. Yes, EVEN with Toyotas and Nissans.

Zero problems with mine, had it over a year now. I love it and would definitely buy another one. The DPF cleaning (or regen) is a little weird at first, but easy to get used to, once you understand what it's trying to do.

15 MPG average with an 8000# diesel truck is better than 11-12MPG with a v-8 gasser 1/2 ton for me. Pulls like a tank,too!

Good luck with your purchase, whatever it may be.

Tim

Latest posts

Back