Newest addition to the Moustache Fleet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the PVC decking is the way to go, and wedge them tight together so the cracks are closed. What think ye of this?

I've only played with the short display pieces of the composite decking at stores and it seemed very dense, but how well does it take heavy weight over longer spans? If the trailer has 24" OC cross members, better make sure it can withstand the spacing. Wood is nice for that because it springs back. Not sure how well composite decking does that.

Another thing to think about is the composite decking is filled with wood fibers, IIRC. It's known to grow mold and mildew and become slippery as well.

Unc, the Maine deal is five years for like $99 and you get a cool green and white plate mailed right to your door. I have three of my four trailers registered this way, the fourth will be done as well when the current sticker expires.

I've only played with the short display pieces of the composite decking at stores and it seemed very dense, but how well does it take heavy weight over longer spans? If the trailer has 24" OC cross members, better make sure it can withstand the spacing. Wood is nice for that because it springs back. Not sure how well composite decking does that.

Another thing to think about is the composite decking is filled with wood fibers, IIRC. It's known to grow mold and mildew and become slippery as well.

No, the composite can't handle spans. Even installing it on a deck you need a maximum of 16" spacing, and they recommend 12" for less bounce.
Some of the decking is more prone to mold than others - Trex is particularly bad, Azek is pretty good. They have texture on the decking, so I don't think it would be too slippery, but I should check the spacing for the trailer. I might have to weld something in there if I do either the steel or composite. Darn, there just doesn't seem to be a good overall solution.:msp_mad:

I would go back with wood.If there is a sawmill nearby you could get some pretty good hardwood fairly cheap.You can waterseal it or put Pena-treat on it, or used motor oil mixed with pulverized hardwood charcoal and borax.That baby will be in a museum 6000 years from now, still solid. Now, what's the deal on the 12' trailer?

I would go back with wood.If there is a sawmill nearby you could get some pretty good hardwood fairly cheap.You can waterseal it or put Pena-treat on it, or used motor oil mixed with pulverized hardwood charcoal and borax.That baby will be in a museum 6000 years from now, still solid. Now, what's the deal on the 12' trailer?

I've got a special deal just for you, since you're such a great guy! 50% off double the cost!! :msp_w00t::msp_unsure:

trailer thoughts

I just did some trailers like that at my work IMO find a sawmill and have em saw ya up some roughcut oak boards my size where 1-1/2"thick and 7-1/2" wide put them on with some self tapping deck board screws and let the boards season and spray used motor oil on them mixed with diesel they will last a long time:rock:

I wish you had 2 for sale at that price.I wouldn't be able to pass it up.:msp_wink:

Tell you what - I'll let you buy it twice, and I'll knock off ANOTHER 50%!!:msp_w00t:

Here's something I saw at Lowes today - looks pretty good for trailer decks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dLKBgmJ9X0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First load in the new trailer - silver maple. Trimmed up a couple trees for my brother's rental. It really holds a LOT more than the 12' trailer. (Still for sale, BTW! Will do a special deal for an AS buyer!)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Had a heck of a time unloading, though.

Usually I set a few large branches on the bottom of the trailer, and when I unload I tie those branches to a rope, which is anchored to something else. Then I drive forward, the whole load slides out nice and neat, I retrieve my ropes and such, and head for home.

The deck was in such bad shape that some limbs were poking through, and there were so sideboards - just the metal rails, so I had to put it in 4WD just to get enough traction to pull, and then only those bottom three branches came out. Had to unload the thing by hand, but when we finished, we didn't go home - I went straight to Lowes and bought some Pressure Treated 2x6's. Deck is mostly installed now, but need to put a few more bolts in.

On a side note, here's a quick haul I got today - oak! I've hardly got any to burn this year, but here's a little start for next year.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 251139View attachment 251140View attachment 251141View attachment 251142View attachment 251143

Pics when you get done with the new floor. Good deal on the oak. Stock for next winter.

Pics when you get done with the new floor. Good deal on the oak. Stock for next winter.

Here ya go.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can't decide if I should put 2' high side walls or 3'. I liked the 3' on my other trailer, but at times I found it too high. (and of course, leaves you with scrap plywood.) But 2' seems a bit low. Hmmm.

View attachment 251406View attachment 251407

Here ya go.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can't decide if I should put 2' high side walls or 3'. I liked the 3' on my other trailer, but at times I found it too high. (and of course, leaves you with scrap plywood.) But 2' seems a bit low. Hmmm.

View attachment 251406View attachment 251407

That looks great. If you need the higher sides for hauling brush, you might consider removable extensions on the 2' sides. Leave them off unless you need them. That would also leave you with a lot less scrap.

Back