Newspaper logs - anyone experimented w/ these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew a guy years ago that used to burn newspaper, he would mix shredded paper w/ old ashes, using diesel as the binder. He rolled them in balls about the size of a softballs, and kept them in a 5 gal. bucket. I never saw them burn, but he claimed it worked real well. He kept recycling the ashes to make more "burn balls" as he called them.

How feasible would it be to make pellets out of the newspaper ?
Something the size of wood pellets ?

Yes keep us up to date on your experiments :)

I have been bundling paper using the strapping machine at work.
They get compressed pretty tight with the machine.
They burn for hours. from the outside in. I have broken apart a smoldering bundle of coated paper ( yea I know ) 12 hours later and it is as red as a lump of coal. The only down fall I see is it creates more ash.

I have been bundling paper using the strapping machine at work.
They get compressed pretty tight with the machine.
They burn for hours. from the outside in. I have broken apart a smoldering bundle of coated paper ( yea I know ) 12 hours later and it is as red as a lump of coal. The only down fall I see is it creates more ash.

The key is oxygen. Throw a flat pile of newspapers in a stove and they will go out. Crumble them up a page at a time and they burn like lightening w/ extremely high heat out put. When you pile them the oxygen cant get at the newspapers, crumple them and they get plenty. Same holds true for leaves, wood chips, etc..
Rake a fire in an owb and chances are it will blaze in no time. I've stuffed crumpled paper in an old wood stove I had until it was completely full and had usable heat for over an hour. Just very time consuming and a pain in the butt to do so but cheap as heck if you have the time. An OWB would drive ya crazy loading it... Let me know when someone has a viable idea.

:dizzy:

I used to use one of thos hand crank log roller things when I was a kid. We always thought it was fun. I came across one on a garage sale a couple of years ago so I bought it. I haven't put it to use yet but I do have one.

Latest posts

Back