Next adventure: making one good Husqvarna 335xpt from two parts saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Now that I have the 026 up and running, decided to move on to my next project: restoring a Husqvarna 335xpt. I had posted earlier that I acquired for not very much a 335xpt with a bad piston and missing a few miscellaneous parts. One of the members here was kind enough to volunteer to send me another parts saw to help me get one back in the tree. This is what I know so far:

1. COMPRESSION. The one that was sent to me, to my surprise, had 120 lbs of compression, and between it and the parts saw I had, I now have a complete saw. I broke down the other one and even cleaned up the cylinder, and I may still fix that one as well, but for now, I am going to start with this one. I would think with 120 lbs it should at least start.

2. STARTER. When it arrived, besides the dirt, one of the screws on the back mount was missing so it was hard to even pull the cord. After replacing it, I now in theory could get a full pull, but the recoil appears to periodically skip over the pawls, meaning sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I put on the starter assembly from my other saw, and it pretty much does the same thing. The pawls are steel, and the recoil cam is nylon. They look decent, but perhaps both are worn and I just don't realize it? Any one run into this problem on a Husky and have suggestions as to how to fix it?

3. SPARK. The plug looked pretty good, and I put on an inexpensive spark test light and the coil appears to be functioning properly. On the other one, the coil had a chafed ignition wire and was missing a plug; replaced it before I knew this one was coming and now will have a spare.

4. FUEL. There doesn't appear to be any gas getting to the plug. I did not put a new fuel filter on yet, but I did clean it with carb cleaner, and I can pull fuel up very easily with my vac tester. I dissassembled the carb and the diagphragms look OK, though I will order a carb kit. To see what was going on, I swapped the carb from the other saw in which I already put a carb kit in it, to see if it was a carb problem. Still nothing. Since the carb pump diaphragm is new, and I can pull fuel up the filter with my vac tester, I must have a problem with the impulse line not delivering impulses. There must be an air leak, and I would be willing to bet it is in the impulse line, since my understanding is the oil seals on these saws don't go bad very often. Still, a vac test would tell me, EXCEPT........

To test the vacuum with my home made vac tester, I have to plug up the carb and exhaust ports. Surprisingly enough (at least to me), the gaskets I fabricated for this purpose for the Stihl 026 appear to be the same size on the Husky. But to put them on, I have to remove the muffler, and I CANNOT get one bolt off on the muffler. Not sure how to even get heat into it, and I don't have a 4mm driver bit that reaches (yet). I suspect the answer is that I am going to have to see if the cheap air rachet I have from a kit from Harbor Freight gives enough "tapping" to loosen it, after I cut off the end of an allen wrench to make a 4mm driver for my 4mm socket. I can put alot of torque on it by hand, but I feel like I am going to break the allen wrench or strip the bolt or cut my hand when either happens so I want not to be stupid. Those muffler bolts are really tough to break free on those saws. ANYONE HAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS? I really want to get that muffler off.

I also read that it is worth switching to the newer style air filter instead of the foam one that is on the older parts saw. I have the frame for this pleated nylon filter and will need to buy the element. Another member posted that there can be a problem with the fuel tank breather, and that some have drilled out the oil cap and installed a tank breather from a Stihl 020t to solve the problem of the tuning changing as the gas tank level goes down.

One other question: the workshop manual says the basic setting for the H screw is 3-1/2 turns, and the L screw 1-3/4 turns. That is ALOT different than my Stihls. Are those settings really correct? I have never owned a Husky and have no idea exactly how to start it other than what is written in the manual.

5. BAR and CHAIN. The bar that came with the most recent saw is a Husky bar, but it has a bend in it on one side where it probably fell. It is mild but noticeable. Is it feasible to clamp it between a couple of blocks of hardwood or particle board to straighten it? Or should I just plan on buying a new 12" bar? Don't think it is worth paying someone to straighten it on a little bar like that. Chain looks almost brand new.

The other saw had an Oregon bar in good shape, but with a very worn chain. Curiously, the Oregon bar does not have a separate small bar oil hole? It looks like it might still get oil from the two big holes that are used for tensioning, but even those don't seem to line up quite right with the tensioner. I am a little suspicious that this bar may not really be made for this saw, but I have never had an Oregon bar and perhaps that is how they are made to fit multiple saws?

6. CHAIN BRAKE. The chain brake band on one parts saw is broken, and on the other, the grey activation handle has a crack at its pivot. I should be able to get one complete assembly between the two of them.

7. PLASTIC. The only plastic I am still missing to make one complete saw is the spark cover, which I don't really need to operate it. The one case has some cracks on one side, and with regard to the muffler cover, the plastic pillar broke off at the top where the screw attaches. On that case, I am going to cut a slab of corian off and glue and screw it to the edge as reinforcing, then drill it out for the screw. I think it is salvageable and worth the effort. On the other one, the one that is in place, the only defect I see so far is the oil cap has a tendency to want to slip as it is tightened all the way down. I also noticed that the o-rings on both caps are pretty hard, so I may end up replacing them at some point.

Next step: find that air leak, which means test the crankcase vacuum, which means GET THAT MUFFLER OFF! I have pics of the first parts saw on my previous post about "What was I thinking" at this link:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/191051-2.htm

I will post new pics as i move forward.

Robert

Last edited:
Further investigation: new ring and piston? Can one re-use lightly scored piston?

So finally got the muffler off, but not without managing to break one of the heads off. Note to self: remember lesson number one with regard to rusty/stuck nuts and bolts: patience. When I coudln't get the muffler off, I finished dissassembling the saw to pull the crankcase and cylinder out, and I could see that the bolt holes for all three muffler bolts were drilled through, I am sure to allow an intelligent person to spray PB Blaster and let it SIT for a day or so, OR MAYBE add some HEAT and then let it SIT for a day. Of course, as you might guess, i am not that intelligent person, at least not at first, and it wasn't until I broke off the head on one and pretty well stripped the head on the other that I realized that I needed to reconsider my strategy. A couple of hours later, and lots of PB Blaster, and a MAP gas torch applied to the aluminum, followed by more PB Blaster, etc... and then pounding in a star bit into what was left of the head of the allen socket on the bolt, and out it came! I will still need to deal with drilling out the broken one, but THIS TIME I will let it sit for as long as it wants with penetrating oil before going forward. Anyone have any luck removing one of these without installing a helicoil?? it is a 4mm bolt.

What I found out when I pulled the muffler was that the piston had some score marks, enough that I felt I needed to pull the jug. Here are some pics:

230648d1332644978-img-20120324-00283-jpg

View attachment 230648View attachment 230649View attachment 230650View attachment 230651

The piston and cylinder were scored on the exhaust side, and i was able to clean up the cylinder on this one pretty well with muriatic acid and emery paper. I am going to re-use it, but I am wondering if the piston is salvageable? It has score marks that I was able to sand smooth but there are still light grooves in it. I suspect someone is going to say it is not worth just putting a ring on it, and that I should get a new piston. Any thoughts as to whether one can ever re-use a scored piston?

Another interesting item: when I pulled everything apart, in dissassembling the carb boot I noticed it was cracked at its base under the metal retaining flange. Perhaps that was the source of my air leak? Will double check the one from the other parts saw to see if it is useable, or else I will just buy a new one. I did go ahead and pick up a new impulse line since the old one on both saws seemed pretty hard from exposure to heat.

The good thing about tearing everything down is I get to clean everything. I noticed in so doing that the the tank vent was missing thus letting the tank breathe more easily but also letting fuel leak more easily.

Robert

Last edited:

hey there how did you do that so fast? there must be something I am missing about embedding photos? Right now I have to add the photos; post the message; copy each url separately; edit the message; paste the url in and uncheck the local box; and then repeat for each photo. Is there a quicker/easier way?

And thanks!

Robert

So finally got the muffler off, but not without managing to break one of the heads off. Note to self: remember lesson number one with regard to rusty/stuck nuts and bolts: patience. When I coudln't get the muffler off, I finished dissassembling the saw to pull the crankcase and cylinder out, and I could see that the bolt holes for all three muffler bolts were drilled through, I am sure to allow an intelligent person to spray PB Blaster and let it SIT for a day or so, OR MAYBE add some HEAT and then let it SIT for a day. Of course, as you might guess, i am not that intelligent person, at least not at first, and it wasn't until I broke off the head on one and pretty well stripped the head on the other that I realized that I needed to reconsider my strategy. A couple of hours later, and lots of PB Blaster, and a MAP gas torch applied to the aluminum, followed by more PB Blaster, etc... and then pounding in a star bit into what was left of the head of the allen socket on the bolt, and out it came! I will still need to deal with drilling out the broken one, but THIS TIME I will let it sit for as long as it wants with penetrating oil before going forward. Anyone have any luck removing one of these without installing a helicoil?? it is a 4mm bolt.

Robert

A through hole is much cheaper to produce. Tapping a 'blind' tapped hole is very time consuming. 2 to 3 taps are required in the process. The taper tap the plug tap and the bottoming tap.

On getting the broken bolt out....I would keep it wet with PBB for a few days.... Give it a few heat cycles, and then try drilling the center and use an easy out. The rust bond has to be broken before an easy out will work.

You might just want to bring it to a shop were they can set it up in a mill or drill press to be able to drill the bolt in the center.

I have a 335XPT in a box... completely torn apart except for the top end. Pretty much all the parts are there. If you want to add a 3rd saw to scavenge parts off of... jus' lemme know. It's yours FREE for the cost of shipping. I just gotta dig it out of the shop. I think the top end is in great shape. But I'll check it before it gets sent... if'n you actually want it.

Gary

Rallen - NICE!

Way to go... even an offer of a 3rd old 335!
thanks for the pm earlier. Funny how much abuse we can put to a saw before it "goes under the bench "

cheap therapy

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve (and the first parts saw). Did anyone have an opinion about the piston? Replace it?

One of the reasons I enjoy this kind of project (other than I am not dependent on the saw for my living so can justify the time) is for the lessons it teaches. Problem solving, dealing with not knowing what to do, learning how to find resources, and learning from other people's experience, are great things to be reminded of. And then there is that patience thing.... I view it as cheap therapy. As long as I can laugh at myself, take my time, and be willing to stumble along the way knowing that it is worth the effort, then regardless of the outcome I have gained from the experience. CAD isn't a disease, it is a cure! At least that is what I tell my wife. Can you tell I have been practicing?

Gary, that is a wonderful offer that I would be happy to accept. Who knows, by the time I finish I may have two of these done! I will send you a pm.

Robert

Last edited:
You probably removed too much material from the piston to re-use it - even with a new ring. I'd measure it very carefully to check tolerances before putting it back in. Someone will chime in with some acceptable specs, but you'll need a decent digital caliper (or better) to measure diameter, and feeler gauges to measure skirt clearance between the piston and cylinder wall.

Keep it coming. And keep me in mind for some of those spare parts if I ever get going on the one I should be picking up tomorrow!

Poge

You probably removed too much material from the piston to re-use it - even with a new ring. I'd measure it very carefully to check tolerances before putting it back in. Someone will chime in with some acceptable specs, but you'll need a decent digital caliper (or better) to measure diameter, and feeler gauges to measure skirt clearance between the piston and cylinder wall.

Keep it coming. And keep me in mind for some of those spare parts if I ever get going on the one I should be picking up tomorrow!

Poge

I will be happy to share whatever I don't use. I think it is probably unwise to re-use the piston; why take a chance and have to start over on the cylinder for $25-$30 for an AM piston? In theory, the ring should keep the piston away from the walls but they score up somehow, and with contact, I assume comes melting piston bonding to the cylinder, which results in more scoring, and deeper grooves, etc....

I have also started on the other tank to see if I can repair where the screw hole tab broke off for the top of the muffler cover. I have been thinking of what would be the best way to repair it since its not just a question of mending and reinforcing a crack, but rather, providing a plastic block for the new screw to thread into. I am currently trying a sample of corian I picked up from the local home repair store, cut square and fitted to be flush with the edge of the case, drilled for the screw from the cover, and then to be fastened to the underside as a plastic block to both reinforce and provide the mounting hole, using both epoxy and one or two additional self-threading sheet metal screws (probably will pre-drill those too to avoid cracking). Only catch is that it won't be the same husqvarna orange, but I remember reading somewhere that you can grind up scrap material of the same color and use it as a filler. I may try that too, but regardless it will now be solid. The other tank looks nicer but it has the broken tab, and one small crack that if reinforced should glue fine. I will take pics of this effort too.

Last edited:
piston skirts always touch cylinder walls, even in two ring designs. They usually wear away gracefully until they start slapping when tolerances get too loose. I would go with a new piston for sure, especially since they aren't very expensive.

Back