Nice Oak score(pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.finn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This tree was at my brothers house, beside a barn he just built. Over the last few storms the tree has taken quite a beating as you will see in the tops. Time for it to come down before it caused any damage. It helped having a mini excavator there, we used it to help push it a little and I then used it to load the wood in the truck.

Nice. Red oak is one of my favorite firewoods. We're luck to have it in abundance in our neck of the woods.

Good looking wood! And you can see by the butt log a good fell.

What model huskies are there? Looks like a 365/372 on the right.

Mini excavator? thats cheatin! hehehehe

Nice. Red oak is one of my favorite firewoods. We're lucky to have it in abundance in our neck of the woods.

Agreed!! Along with white oak (not quite as abundant) ... VERY lucky.
Yes, nice score mr. finn !

View attachment 272289got a truckload of norway maple on the curb yesterday...very nice great collection of huskys is that a 550? how do you like it? thinking of getting rid of 2 026s and getting one

I know the mini is cheating but my back thanks me for it. Saws are L to R, 262,562,372. 262 is getting put on the back burner after the arrival of the 562, may be time for retirement for the old saw.

I know the mini is cheating but my back thanks me for it. Saws are L to R, 262,562,372. 262 is getting put on the back burner after the arrival of the 562, may be time for retirement for the old saw.

Ha. I here ya! My boss has a near new whopper linkbelt, dont think I aint been lusting after it to use it, but he aint that dumb! hahahaha!

Theres actually enough equipment here to do full time logging/commercial firewood/pulp/whatever, plus the trees, but he isnt into it. I mean multiple crawlers, big trucks, skid steers, that excavator (three actually), big bucket loaders, backhoe, anything you would need to build good roads, pans, graders, etc, large conveyors to make firewood mountains, all of that, heck theres even a not assembled yet sawmill and and almost assembled shavings mill... but.... I am happy enough I can use one tractor and one utility trailer and free acess to the wood.

Hes a clucker farmer, to him, trees are just big annoyances to be shoved outta the way and/or burnt. He burns some hickory in his fireplaces now and then, thats it, and built a big custom splitter with a lift (its exactly as old as me, 61) because he requires 35 inch long pieces. Not 36, not 34..35 inch. I am serious. He had two of his goofs cut up around a 4 to 5 cord shagbark hickory tree a few years ago and they tape measured every single piece.

Got another tree today, same thing, storm damage to the top, had to come down. This one required climbing up and dismantling the top because it was just over the fence on his neighbors property(yes we got permission). Got a load of the top branches and left the statue to drop and will use the mini to get the big stuff over the fence. Will get some pics tommorow. I love free wood.

Ok, so finished the other tree this morning. Had to cut the statue and grab it in several pieces and lift it over the fence. On to the truck it went. First 2 pics are of the tree. Not that I blame it for what happened but check out the rot starting on the butt log.

Latest posts

Back