Nice surprise.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm milling more stuff for nature playgrounds.
The landscape architects want 5 logs, ~36" in diameter and 5 - 8ft long with a large flat taken off the top.
Like this.
This one had spiral grain and was not going to be good for any lumber anyway.
PGfurn2.jpg
Today I tackled this Jarrah (Eucalyptus Marginata) which didn't look very good on the outside
BUT
On the inside . . . . .
Jarrah0.jpg
Jarrah2.jpg
This one is definitely NOT going to the playground.
It was a dream to cut being relatively soft for a Eucalypt - about 10% harder than Hickory/Pecan.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make any more cuts - will do that on Saturday.

The landscape architects want 5 logs, ~36" in diameter and 5 - 8ft long with a large flat taken off the top.
Like this.
View attachment 948706
Today I tackled this Jarrah (Eucalyptus Marginata) which didn't look very good on the outside
BUT
On the inside . . . . .
View attachment 948707
View attachment 948708
It was a dream to cut being relatively soft for a Eucalypt - about 10% harder than Hickory/Pecan.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make any more cuts - will do that on Saturday.
That is freakin amazing! Beautiful color!
Thanks for sharing

That's just water on the cut timber. Unfortunatley it does not stay like that over time it gets duller and browner. Thats one of teh fleeting joys of milling Aussie hardwood - only the miller really gets to see the full natural beauty of the timber.

We've decided not to slab that log but to turn it into boards using the Woodland mill..
So far the only thing we've done was turn it into a can't on the big mill.
We turned the log using a HIAB Crane
Jarrah3.jpg

Th offcuts have all been kept and I'm going to cut some small slabs out of them.

Like this.
View attachment 948706
BUT
On the inside . . . . .
View attachment 948707
View attachment 948708

Wow, that is beautiful, be nice to see the rest of the cuts.

Back