nice warm fire!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the mid south of tn it is 40 outside and 83 inside.
I have been burning for 12 days strait.

Now it is time for the last fill up of the night. So out in the cold I go...

A bit toasty

It's 79 inside and the boss is comfortable. I just wear t-shirts and shorts and get used to it. :clap:

It is 12 F here right now. The days are still getting to 40 F. We have been burning for a month and a half.

I remember two years ago when we first started moving in here. The trailer was moved in Nov 2 and there were no utilities. About this time myself and the FIL were building that addition at -30 F with screaming winds. As soon as we got the walls and roof covered the wind went away. We got the stove in and fired up a week later. Needless to say the wife and I spent our first Christmas together in our home.

We had all the utilities in for Christmas also. That was unreal in its own.

Glenn

Last edited:
Yep, nice and cozy here in Allegan (SW Michigan) with the wood furnace baking away :clap: :clap: Got a lake effect snow advisory too :biggrinbounce2:

Speaking of utilities, our electricity went off sometime during the night but with the fire in the stove, our house stayed nice and warm. I went out about 5 and fired up the diesel generator for lights, coffee and to run the pump for my wife's shower. Self-sufficiency is a wonderful thing.

Rookie1,
I to have mixed feelings about seeing my woodshed start to empty.
I find it interesting when I am bringing in wood and find that I can recall who or where I got that load from.
My wife enjoys the whole wood burning lifestyle, but I think that she thinks that I'm nuts when I say things like "Hey, here is some of that wood that Steve gave us" or "This is some of the stuff that I picked up from...".

Rookie1,
I find it interesting when I am bringing in wood and find that I can recall who or where I got that load from.

Yeah, same here. I know exactly where each piece of my wood comes from and can remember making most of the cuts. I can take someone around (never done it though, who would want to follow me in the woods) and point out the stump of the origin of some random piece taken from my pile. But I'm crazy.

Out at four thirty this morning and it was 6 degrees F. Cold for November. Started burning around the begining of last month and have pretty much been going non-stop since the begining of this week. We've had about 10 degree F. highs during the day, but its 70 in the house. I never get tired of playing the "its cold outside but its warm inside" game. I smile every time.

It is sad when you see the wood disappear, but I just cut more. I've run through about a cord, but since the begining of October I've been able to cut about 6 cords. Mostly Red Oak. I just stack it back up and my pile never changes that much.

Last edited:
Rookie1,
My wife enjoys the whole wood burning lifestyle, but I think that she thinks that I'm nuts when I say things like "Hey, here is some of that wood that Steve gave us" or "This is some of the stuff that I picked up from...".

I try to keep that commentary on that level of detail to myself. Gives the wife too much ammo for when I forget something on the grocery list or make some other mental fart.

E.G., "You can remember that you got that stick of oak 10 months ago off from the back 40 at the old Gilman farm by the four corners, but you can't remember something as simple as a loaf of bread!"

The joys of WEDLOC:

Wood
Excessive
Detail
Lucidity
Obsessive
Compulsion

BTW, 15* last night with a stiff breeze from the NW. Not supposed to get much more that 35* this afternoon.

Last edited:
Good point Woodbooga.
I need to remember that not everyone understands us.

You are among friends here. Now where's my guitar? What key shall we sing cumbayah in?

Welcome to the site. And be careful in the chainsaw forum. You'll find yourself needing a lot of equipment you never knew you needed before.

Latest posts

Back