Nickel Plating Cylinders, DYI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nickle is soft, it is just the binding agent for the silca which is hard.

Yup takes a diamond to cut glass (silca), not so with nickle.

Nickle has many fine properties and shines when mixed with other metals (alloys) or even sand (silca).

Your 'fact' that nickle has an extreme melting point is flawed also

http://www.tedpella.com/company_html/hardness.htm

melting points

Aluminium - 660 C
brass - 900 - 940 C depending on alloy
Silver - 962 C
copper - 1083 C
steel - 1130 C
nickel - 1455 C <--- hum?? higher than typical generic steel
Iron - 1492 C
chromium - 1907 C

So, lets see? your jug will melt before the nickel?? rings will be right behind the nickel.

Think on this. Its aluminum transfer from the pistol that just killed the jug not failure of the nickel coating. It was just the victim and pistol the culprit.

Brazing rod will use silver to LOWER the melting point and improve the flow(wetting) characteristics
Brass alloys may have 60,000 psi tensile or higher and low melting point ideal for OXY-Fuel

Yes I mis spoke on the melting point and pointed that out a few threads back

But the point is still clear pure Nickle is SOFT!

Of course mixed with chrome or silca or many other elements it is HARD!

Go look at that link I posted, Nickle is a Marvel, but in it's pure form is SOFT.

Me too I gotta lot O' pliers and vice grips and sum big hoggin' carbide burrs.

I'm not here to promote my work, have too many orders as is, but thanks! It's; sunfishforge.com

Un freaking real man! You make stuff, a hundred years from now on antiques roadshow will go for like a buhzillion bucks!

I wish I could do just one thing with that much excellence. I can do a lot of things fair to middling, but nothing with that much art/function/beauty and obvious if you had to, performance.

I absolutely love how people always try to tell you how you can’t do something without having thousands of dollars worth of equipment. There is a YouTube video of a few guys replateing their cylinders in their kitchen using nikasil. The only thing I can see as a need is a hone for open port cylinders. Don’t believe everything you hear and read. Just like dealers and so called experts will tell you have to have 100+psi compression for one of these engines to run. LOL I have 12 saws the highest compression in any of them is a stihl ms 290 and it has 100 the lowest is 60 on one of my 028 stihls. I use them everyday cutting oak and black locust firewood. Every saw I own I bought from a dealers junk pile brought them home played with them for a bit and use them constantly. Pull 3 times choke on pop pull once choke off and let them warm up. The way I see it is it’s already broke. Play around your not going to make it any worse. You never know

I absolutely love how people always try to tell you how you can’t do something without having thousands of dollars worth of equipment. There is a YouTube video of a few guys replateing their cylinders in their kitchen using nikasil. The only thing I can see as a need is a hone for open port cylinders. Don’t believe everything you hear and read. Just like dealers and so called experts will tell you have to have 100+psi compression for one of these engines to run. LOL I have 12 saws the highest compression in any of them is a stihl ms 290 and it has 100 the lowest is 60 on one of my 028 stihls. I use them everyday cutting oak and black locust firewood. Every saw I own I bought from a dealers junk pile brought them home played with them for a bit and use them constantly. Pull 3 times choke on pop pull once choke off and let them warm up. The way I see it is it’s already broke. Play around your not going to make it any worse. You never know
Your compression gauge is faulty

got a link???

What's the record on a necropost? This threads a couple days short of 4 years old

Lots of things can be done at home, but Nikasil replating isn't one of them. Use a company like Millennium. The old plating is removed, any cylinder damage is repaired (welded), bored, and then the new Nikasil is applied precisely based on actual piston (in hand) measurement. It's then diamond honed to finish specs and all ports chamfered. Probably much cheaper to replace the cylinder on a saw motor. Unless you have a failure and gouge the cylinder, you can wear out several sets of rings on a Nikasil cylinder and still see the original cross hatching. Nikasil is used on cast aluminum cylinders w/o sleeves. It's incredibly hard and transfers heat better than a sleeved cylinder. Link to Millineum below.
Charles

https://www.millennium-tech.net/serviceInfo.php?id=1

Lots of things can be done at home, but Nikasil replating isn't one of them. Use a company like Millennium. The old plating is removed, any cylinder damage is repaired (welded), bored, and then the new Nikasil is applied precisely based on actual piston (in hand) measurement. It's then diamond honed to finish specs and all ports chamfered. Probably much cheaper to replace the cylinder on a saw motor. Unless you have a failure and gouge the cylinder, you can wear out several sets of rings on a Nikasil cylinder and still see the original cross hatching. Nikasil is used on cast aluminum cylinders w/o sleeves. It's incredibly hard and transfers heat better than a sleeved cylinder. Link to Millineum below.
Charles

quite a operation...……..

Too bad
Charles

To bad they only do 2 piece cylinders and can’t do chainsaw cylinders. Called them and asked.

Latest posts

Back