Night feedings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who feeds their stoves at night?

• Usually

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Only when it's especially cold

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • Never, just get it ripping again in the AM

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the TL-300 as long as I load it around 10:00 I can easily get through till 6:00 with upstairs still above 69. Though there are exceptions to the rule, especially when we dip into the double digits below zero.

The Drolet I owned prior to this stove was worst then a new born baby, it needed to be fed every 2-3 hours and needed to be burned above 600 to keep things clean.

The antique cookstove will put off a burn of maybe 3 hours if banked right. Usually goes out unless something gets me up and I have a chance to refuel. The oil backup furnace kicks in to take us through the morning. I usually scale it back to 55° and get up early enough to warm the place up to the mid sixties before everyone else is up and around.

The exception is when power is out. During the ice storm in December, we were without power for days. The back end of the storm brought real cold weather with a blustery wind. We all camped out in the living room and I put wood in the stove every couple of hours to keep us warm enough.

I load it at 11 PM and then at 6:30 am. Before the night loading, I try to let the fire die to just a few coals, so the wood that I put in doesn't really start to burn much for an hour or so. This extends my overnight burn. I always have coals left in the morning and house is usually ~65º in AM.

yessir

I load it up before I go to bed around 11pm. If one of the kids wakes up(seems to be almost every night right now) or it is really cold out I try to make it down to add wood. Most nights it happens but here recently I have been too lazy to do it.

I work from home at night doing my IT stuff, maintaining the servers, going through log files etc. My wife goes to bed early, so it usually works out that there are coals when she gets up in the morning. If it is really cold and we both go to bed early I MAY wake up in the middle of the night and add some wood. That's a big maybe.
Dok

Usually load up my Clayton anywhere between 10 p.m. and midnight. Up at 5 a.m. for work and there is always a nice bed of black cherry coals waiting for more chunks. The house is never below 70 (my wife is always cold too.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by savageactor7
Since I have to get up for personal relief it's no effort to reload during the night. Because of that I burn hotter and the house stays warmer...wood is no problem for us.

But back in the day I suppose I opt for staying in bed as long as possible.

---------------------------------
LOL. Same for me! Loading the stove is kind of the secondary activity, but I'll only do that on the really cold nights. Too much walking around and sometimes you can't get back to sleep.

--------------------------------

Same here. Been doign it so long I no longer know if I am peeing because I am up feeding the fire or the other way around :)

Harry K

I feed mine about every 4-5 hours. Sometimes I can get an 8 hour burn. After last years propane bill around 450.00 a month, feeding the wood furnace is job #1. I don't sleep well anyways so it gives me something to do in the middle of the night.

When It drops below 20° I burn my best wood and miight add some when I get up to go pee if the house feels like the stove isnt keeping up with the cold.

I think it would be neat to install the temperature switched fan option on the stove and set up a little circuit so that when the fan cuts off, a little alarm comes on. That way the stove never really cools off and I can just toss some wood in and go back to bed instead of coaxing a cold stove back to life in the morning. Not going to happen mind you, just one of my hair-brained ideas.

Next year will be different. I'm working with half seasoned wood and not particularly good stuff at that. Hard to get going if the stove isn't already good and hot.

Ian

I bank it up right before bed, and if the temp is lower than 20 outside i need a 2 am feeding. that way its easier to really get it rolling again in the morning.

Above 20 and I usually have a good bed of coals at 6 am so i dont bother.

HH,
so you got the stove installed where that police chalk outline of a stove was?
how'd it turn out?

It went well and we're loving the heat! We just have to figure out a good routine. --Ian

attachment.php

It went well and we're loving the heat! We just have to figure out a good routine. --Ian
attachment.php

Nice setup H²...pretty. Elegant choice of stove and flooring :cheers:JMNSHO.

Now a word from the Stove Consultant ( PM me for the address to send the Laphroaig 1/5 ) :
1. Get one of those iron log racks ( or make one ). Put it on a rubber/vinyl boot tray to catch the debris ( your SWMBO will love you even more ).
2. Looks like single wall pipe ? That 45 elbow is a creosote catcher. Try to do
an open ash door fire 1X/day, watching the top thermometer to not get much over 500 F. You can get double wall telescoping stovepipe that has a
6" clearance to combustibles.
3. Getting the all night burn without loading 'til morning is not difficult with the Oslo. Use larger splits or logs for the night load, give it time to catch slightly, then drop the air to the lowest left position. You'll usually have some starting coals first thing in the morning.

Success.

Wake @ 2:15 and again @ 5:15, have a squirt, put the dogs out, jam wood in the stove, let the dogs back in, go to bed, can't remember going back to sleep. Got it down to a science I guess.:jawdrop:

Nice setup H²...pretty. Elegant choice of stove and flooring :cheers:JMNSHO.

Now a word from the Stove Consultant ( PM me for the address to send the Laphroaig (what's that?) 1/5 ) :
1. Get one of those iron log racks ( or make one ). Put it on a rubber/vinyl boot tray to catch the debris ( your SWMBO will love you even more ). Since that pic, I put together a 2'x2' rack using one of those plastic things that you put 2x4 lumber in. The wrought iron rack was $180 :dizzy:
2. Looks like single wall pipe ? That 45 elbow is a creosote catcher. Try to do an open ash door fire 1X/day, watching the top thermometer to not get much over 500 F. You can get double wall telescoping stovepipe that has a 6" clearance to combustibles. It is the double wall pipe and I usually get it up to about 475 before reeling it back in.
3. Getting the all night burn without loading 'til morning is not difficult with the Oslo. Use larger splits or logs for the night load, give it time to catch slightly, then drop the air to the lowest left position. You'll usually have some starting coals first thing in the morning. I have a bunch of nice big oak splits for next year, this year I'm just kinda winging it.

Success.

thanks,
Ian

Last edited:
thanks,
Ian

LAPHROAIG --an exotic single malt scotch distilled and aged for at least 10 years in sherry casks on the island of Islay, part of the Inner Hebrides off Scotland, of extraordinary proof with the pungent tang of rotten seaweed. Loved and enjoyed only by those with taste. It has been heard that there is another gentleman from Texas visiting this site from time to time, who is also endowed with class and the appreciation of the finer drinks.
The marketing of this malt goes as follows: " Love or hate, there is NO in between....no half measures." As a bottle of one fifth is as costly as a MS361, it is never shared lightly.

I will accept the 1/5. PM for address.......:cheers:

Back