No face Coos Bay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cfaller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For head leaner's only!!!!!

In the "cutting oak tree" thread some of us talked about a no face coos bay cut. I don't think a lot of Faller's know about this, but is a useful tool to have stored upstairs

View attachment 313671
A leaning lodge pole pine. It is leaning hard enough that roots are starting to pull out of the ground. I had to cut it so I wasn't standing on the root ball.

View attachment 313672
Lay out of the cuts.

View attachment 313673
Most leaner also have some side lean also, cut that side first. Or if the wind is blowing cut the leeward side first.

View attachment 313674
All wedged up. I missed my lay out some. The hardest thing with this cut is getting the two side cuts on the same plain. If they are off, it will slow down the back cut. Put your wedges as far forward as you can or you'll be blowing colorful chips. :mad2:

View attachment 313675
The end result.

Last edited:
Had to look at all of the pics nice and slow, but I get it. Thanks! I have a leaner that needs cut that I might try that on. I especially like the tip about putting the wedges as far forward as possible. Probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own.

I understand what you are doing and it is effective. I wish there was there was some sort of way to sit down and discuss this cut w/o worrying who is reading that might go out and try it and get hurt if they find some way to screw it up.

I like the cut...honestly I do, and will use it some. I'm biting my tongue as to what I really want to say though. Honestly though I don't think there is anyway to discuss it w/o people arguing or saying, "well what if someone reads this"? :msp_scared:

And again I think it's a nice job and well executed.

might as well throw this in here too

313413d1378552095-img018-jpg

I've used this cut a heap of times but never thought of the wedges. I've always tried to factor the side lean into the main lean and point the holding wood in that direction. Sometimes you can get the strip down to just 3 or 4 inches. I'll be definitely using the wedges in future.

Shaun

I understand what you are doing and it is effective. I wish there was there was some sort of way to sit down and discuss this cut w/o worrying who is reading that might go out and try it and get hurt if they find some way to screw it up.

I like the cut...honestly I do, and will use it some. I'm biting my tongue as to what I really want to say though. Honestly though I don't think there is anyway to discuss it w/o people arguing or saying, "well what if someone reads this"? :msp_scared:

Most of the cuts we talk about here are in published books. This one is. It just doesn't go into the little tricks or tips as much as we do. There are other cuts which members have posted that are in published books, that I won't post on here. Some of those will get you in a lot of trouble quickly because of what they are trying to do with the tree.

might as well throw this in here too

313413d1378552095-img018-jpg

I've used this cut a heap of times but never thought of the wedges. I've always tried to factor the side lean into the main lean and point the holding wood in that direction. Sometimes you can get the strip down to just 3 or 4 inches. I'll be definitely using the wedges in future.

Shaun

Thanks

TC, how about something like this stamped on every post?

WARNING: The techniques herein described and discussed can and will result in death or serious injury. These techniques should not be attempted by anyone other than a well-seasoned professional faller.

Nah, it would probably just tempt folks like honey to a fly. :bang: If you can't post this thread here towards the professional where else can you? Can you keep folks like me from reading and trying it? No, unless you :poke:. Ron

PS I'll leave this cut to you pros. It certainly isn't a cut for this firewood hack as it appears it may operate much like a trigger (without a nice conservative hinge, I am too old for triggers) and I would probably misjudge the side load and dump the tree on me or have the tree hit me when it bounces off the ground or kicks back from the tree I laid it on.

Ron, I don't think it you and Jon and guys like you that worry us so bad. I have seen 12 or more guests at one time, they cannot even ask ?????. but we cannot protect everyone and this is the logging n forestry forum so..... now what happened to that white oak guy? that gets me, I guess we'll never know.

Thing is that the cut listed above is considered "acceptable" by the Pro's on here...well I like my way...basically the same deal but yet I can't even discuss the technique I and many others in hardwood country use to handle leaners W/O starting a pissing match. All I want to know is why is the Coos Bay non face cut is acceptable but the "Kiss of Death" bore cut method is considered just one foot closer to the grave.

IMO there is nothing "safer" about cutting the sides out narrowing your tag front then back cutting and leaving a post as it breaks over. My way...and I am saying "My" way due to the fact that the people who actually use the method won't admit it on here due to being slammed for such foolishness...

As I was saying, "my" way completely elliminates the heart leaving a front tag and rear trigger...(1) fricken cut and pop the trigger...that's it. Yet that method is considered dangerous and I will probably get my hand smacked for even discussing it. Oh well.

CFaller...dude in NO way am I dissing you for your work at all period...I would just like a clear reason as to why the Non Faced Coos Bay is acceptable and the "kiss of Death" isn't.

I have seen what ya talkin bout bro. IMO it best on pine and smaller sticks. I suppose there is a chance of split if one left to much "tang". and no I don't see much difference between the two. I guess the deal is the inexpierianced trying these things. ya know we all ran a guy off a while back for talkin bout something simaler, now I wish he stuck around to talk about it. we mighta tought him somthin or vice versa.

TC, how about something like this stamped on every post?

WARNING: The techniques herein described and discussed can and will result in death or serious injury. These techniques should not be attempted by anyone other than a well-seasoned professional faller.

I like it Ron! :msp_thumbup:

TC, See your point.
Quite a while back stuff like this could get discussed without blood letting. Partly different group of people, smaller, less bad you tube crap getting thrown up. Less of the "this is the way am taking this down, what do ya think, it'll work, seen this done on boob tube and they got away with it". No thanks, tl,dnr.
Lookup Slopping Backcut threads from HBRN. Pages of bad stuff. Before that, same topic , done in a page or two. Same with stump reading. Used to be some interesting stuff. Bet more that a few 'guests' didn't really get what Bitzer said about junky hearts and this Coos strip cut. Oops. too late didn't check. Similar trees, never the same.
some might put a in

Group may be another way for discussing stuff. Problem is lot couldn't read/post without joining.
1 cents worth

I get what ya saying Clint .......me personally I kinda like a face and hinge so less chance of lateral movement and missing the lay ......but that juss me bro

Ifnh, I couldn't agree more! I would definitely vote for using a "Group" as a discussion area. There are ALOT of Pro's on here that are tight lipped as to there techniques...and I understand that due to region, timber species, long bar/short bar...yadda yadda...that you don't want to go throwing tips out in the wind and have someone less than capable get hurt or killed. I couldn't agree more with ya! :msp_thumbup:

I wish I could learn some stuff from the guys on here. Bitzer in my opinion is just out of this World as far as technique and being able to really use different technique to his advantage. Quite the technician right there! I can call that dude up and discuss cuts. Wouldn't it be nice to have a group where stuff like "Advanced techiques" can be discussed?

That brings me to a thought...when I was cutting a FS blowdown unit, I had like (40) major head leaners and (5) of the leaners were so compromised on their backs due to fixing to chair on the stump. I know my vids aren't that good on the average...but I would have really liked to have videoed cutting all those leaners...but I couldn't! I was kinda upset about it to. Everything went so well it was crazy...Hell I even cut a 24" 100ft tall leaner right in front of the FS Forester...now that was a good day...no footage and no proof...all because I was afraid of being slammed and afraid of the wrong person going out and trying to emulate what I had done.

Thanks Ifnh...sorry so long winded.

Use what works for you. Use what you're comfortable with and feel safe with. There are a lot of methods that seem at first glance to be a little goofy but might possibly work under certain situations. I don't use them because they don't fit the terrain, the wood I'm in, or anything else. But I remember them and file them away...just in case.
There a lot of methods that seem to involve too much monkey-motion and too much time...but I'm not the one cutting the tree. Some of them are almost funny and don't really guarantee the results you're looking for . Too many people keep looking for that sure fire automatic "If I do this, the tree will do that" technique. If any of you find it please let me know. I'm still looking.

If some of you were working for me we might discuss a change in cutting style but only in the interests of safety and production. If you're getting enough wood on the ground, safely and efficiently, to keep the boss happy and the money coming in it doesn't matter if you drop down on all fours and gnaw the log off at the stump with your teeth. Safety counts. Production counts. The rest is just window dressing.

And for whatever it's worth...there are times when I wish I could cut smaller wood and not have to play mountain goat on cow-face ground. Some of you guys don't know how easy you have it. So there. :laugh:

Ifnh, I couldn't agree more! I would definitely vote for using a "Group" as a discussion area. There are ALOT of Pro's on here that are tight lipped as to there techniques...and I understand that due to region, timber species, long bar/short bar...yadda yadda...that you don't want to go throwing tips out in the wind and have someone less than capable get hurt or killed. I couldn't agree more with ya! :msp_thumbup:

nothing wrong with sharing info or being tight lipped

I wish I could learn some stuff from the guys on here. Bitzer in my opinion is just out of this World as far as technique and being able to really use different technique to his advantage. Quite the technician right there! I can call that dude up and discuss cuts. Wouldn't it be nice to have a group where stuff like "Advanced techiques" can be discussed?

isn't this the sewing circle to discuss technique? I thought it was, I know I have with some of you even though it was a general level

That brings me to a thought...when I was cutting a FS blowdown unit, I had like (40) major head leaners and (5) of the leaners were so compromised on their backs due to fixing to chair on the stump. I know my vids aren't that good on the average...but I would have really liked to have videoed cutting all those leaners...but I couldn't! I was kinda upset about it to. Everything went so well it was crazy...Hell I even cut a 24" 100ft tall leaner right in front of the FS Forester...now that was a good day...no footage and no proof...all because I was afraid of being slammed and afraid of the wrong person going out and trying to emulate what I had done.

Nothing wrong with no video either.

Thanks Ifnh...sorry so long winded.

Interesting, CFaller, if you missed your lay it couldn't have been by much

I wanted to form a group awhile back but no one interested. thing is ya gotta get people to join in order to talk to them.

Groups are good but they tend to be exclusionary. Go to the Groups page and look at how many there are. Then look at how many are inactive. Most of them die on the vine.
Part of the advantage to keeping this thread in an open forum is that newcomers can find it easily and join in. Groups often lose momentum and people drift away.

You guys are good about sharing what you know...let's keep it out front for everybody to use and benefit from.

Use what works for you. Use what you're comfortable with and feel safe with. There are a lot of methods that seem at first glance to be a little goofy but might possibly work under certain situations. I don't use them because they don't fit the terrain, the wood I'm in, or anything else. But I remember them and file them away...just in case.
There a lot of methods that seem to involve too much monkey-motion and too much time...but I'm not the one cutting the tree. Some of them are almost funny and don't really guarantee the results you're looking for . Too many people keep looking for that sure fire automatic "If I do this, the tree will do that" technique. If any of you find it please let me know. I'm still looking.

If some of you were working for me we might discuss a change in cutting style but only in the interests of safety and production. If you're getting enough wood on the ground, safely and efficiently, to keep the boss happy and the money coming in it doesn't matter if you drop down on all fours and gnaw the log off at the stump with your teeth. Safety counts. Production counts. The rest is just window dressing.

And for whatever it's worth...there are times when I wish I could cut smaller wood and not have to play mountain goat on cow-face ground. Some of you guys don't know how easy you have it. So there. :laugh:

+1 :cool2:

Im sucking up, but this is spot on

Latest posts

Back