no good firewood story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Some pretty neat idea's about marking firewood. I like the crayon/hatchet idea better than the Mingo, I think.

I like to cut when it is colder than a well digger's ankles. Don't have to worry about paint cans freezing this way.

The Mingo was a giving me problems to day while I was cutting, just not enough traction on the wheel with the live oak I was cutting. I spent most of the day eye balling it, so my stacks won't be as pretty but you sure can cut all of wood when you don't mark it.

Mingo Marker

Anyone have any experience with one of these length markers? I think if I bought a tri-axle of 'straight' logs at a time I would think about something like this, but for me its always easier to use the bar as a guide when possible. I don't have any equipment, and I take everything from trees I'm cutting (crotches, etc), and split by hand, so by the time you factor all that in, my log lengths are from 10"-20".

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5MI-265

I own one of these I bought a few wheels for it I got it from Bailey's one of our sponsors. It works well once you get the hang of it. The first piece you cut and the last piece will be too long or too short, that has been my experience. The majority of the wood will be cut to the correct length. You do get a little surveyor paint on the bark though. Not a big deal for me but it does bother some people. David

Back