No more business with Canada???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I agree, I never did understand why things could get shipped here tax free but taxes/duties or whatever they call it is charged for things going into Canada...

Not starting anything or whatever, and maybe I don't understand things but that's how it appeared to me.

I am sure they will start charging us in the future. That is the government way If it is not taxed then tax it. If it is taxed then tax it more

I am sure they will start charging us in the future. That is the government way If it is not taxed then tax it. If it is taxed then tax it more

I quite honestly don't know the whole tax structure in the USA, but here and especially in BC, the combined taxes are brutal....We start with income tax, and then whatever we are left with, we are taxed 12% combined sales tax on almost everything we buy except raw food (This applies to everything that is sold from supplier to end user, so the same item is taxed many times before it is sold to the retail end user), fuel is taxed again, so a US gallon of gas costs me $5.25.....It feels like it never ends!:msp_sad:

The average Canadian works from January 1st to July 1st just to pay their taxes....

I quite honestly don't know the whole tax structure in the USA, but here and especially in BC, the combined taxes are brutal....We start with income tax, and then whatever we are left with, we are taxed 12% combined sales tax on almost everything we buy except raw food (This applies to everything that is sold from supplier to end user, so the same item is taxed many times before it is sold to the retail end user), fuel is taxed again, so a US gallon of gas costs me $5.25.....It feels like it never ends!:msp_sad:

The average Canadian works from January 1st to July 1st just to pay their taxes....

Pretty much the same for us. You folks pay a tad more in gasoline tax, and your sales tax is a bit higher (at least for now). We're catching up however....:dizzy:

......It feels like it never ends!:msp_sad:

Just to make things clear , I clicked on the "Like" button but not because I "Like" the statement .........

I've had Schenker handle a few large orders from the US coming to Canada , reasonable rate on large items , one phone call and it was handled , I was my own broker so that was done at no cost , I'm not sure if they only want buisness customers .
The last multiple order I got from the US I let UPS do it , the brokerage fee was a percentage of the value of the order , close enought value to what my time was worth to me to have to deal with CBSA so I paid UPS .
One small item at a time will only be worth buying cross border unless it is a high dollar item or very light or you are there .
Ironic that I can buy stuff from Turkey , Mongolia , China etc and have it show up at my door for cheap in a week with free shipping and can't send it to the next province let alone the US for less than what 5 of what I recieved cost .

Having said all that , if someone has ten 70cc+ saws that they want to give me as a test , we'll ship with UPS and I'll pay all brokerake and shipping charges to see what it all works out to here in Canada or if we want to know what one saw costs , I'll pay for the Emu to send 2 saws up here to see if a ported saw costs more than a regular saw .

Latest posts

Back