No more climbing to limb a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcappe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking at one of the magazines I subsribe to I ran across an ad for this product. Never seen anything like it. I could see some good points as well as some bad/dangerous points. www.limbhog.com

While it seems nice, I am not too sure on how rugged it would be when the limb hits it at some time. Also only 8' about machines reach... Market would seem to be hobby farm owners who have the money to buy a machine and attachments to keep the place looking pristine.

Seems like a total waste of cash if you ask me.Only eight feet?what would be the point?A good pole saw will get you that at a fraction of the price.And if you have a bigger branch than what a pole saw will handle, then get you one of those throw line saws.
Me,Ill stick to climbing up there and limb things off.I didnt find a price on their website, but Ill wager it isnt cheap.

You gotta have a minimum of a 25,000 dollar tractor with you everywhere you go. No thanks, I'll pass.

That would be a horrible machine for a pruning job. Trying to direct it to cut just at the collar from the ground would be nearly impossible.

Trying to direct it to cut just at the collar from the ground would be nearly impossible.

+1

A lot of those cuts looked like hack jobs. No where near the collar, no undercut first so you risk peeling the bark when the limb falls, etc.

I guess it looks like a tool in search of a job to me.

How about the "green" concept...No more smelly chain saws...Like that skid didnt use fuel or creat more exhaust the a saw would have...

It looks like it's aimed towards farmers to me. Farmers do a lot of field side raising of limbs so their equipment can get by. It would be nice for that application. They also don't worry about tree health as most would like the whole tree gone if easily done. I've worked field edges before from a 30ft. lift truck and cut down more limbs in a day than a tree crew could clean up in a week.

I think you are on the money with that TreeCo. I'll bet this was designed for farmers and their utility tractors/loaders. Probably not a bad tool for that application.

Im glad you pointed that out treeco, most of the time on their website I spent thinking what was the point of this thing.to spendy for joe homeowner, wrong tool for the job for tree service,and mostly just a waste of cash.Good thinking,i reckon it would work pretty nice for fence row stuff.

It looks like it started out to be a good idea but turned out a flop. My first concern was when a limb could come crashing down on the person operateing the skid steer. :greenchainsaw:

The LimbHog or a small shear that mounts on a front end loader are targeted to farmers.

The FEL gets a lot more height than a skid steer.

Other option I see around here is the use of a backhoe (the hoe part) to rip limbs down. That leaves the tree a really nasty wound.

Spendy?? Yes they are but so are windshields in combines. I haven't bought one (yet), but friend said his 9670's windshield was around a $1000.

Treeco nailed it. Fenceline clearing tool. I could see renting a unit like that a day or two a year here, but I don't have the land to need to own one. I know some guys who cover a lot of ground would sure be interested. One of those mounted on a loader, followed by a skid with a grapple could make quick work of a 1/2 mile of fence line, something you'd spend days on with the same two guys and chain saws.

Taking out the trees is not always a better option. Some are windbreaks, some growing in a woodlot next to the field, some on adjoining property. (At least here, it is legal to trim the part of a neighbor's tree that overhangs your property, not sure if this is universal)

I say what's with the mini techno dark age....as a kid, I thought we'd have di-lithium rechargeable plasmaser cutters by now.....about the size of a flashlight and cuts about 100 limbs per charge. Big jobs, just swap polycaps.

Tired of waiting, guess I'll have to do it myself....

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/daisy-rifle-scope-lightsaber-mod-26892.html

Blessings in Christ Yeshua

SS, 8' is the additional reach beyond what the loader reaches. A small skid loader will reach 6', a big loader on a large tractor, 14'. 22 feet of reach should be enough for about anything.

A pole saw will be here long before one of those though, unless I have a rich uncle I don't know about yet.

SS, 8' is the additional reach beyond what the loader reaches. A small skid loader will reach 6', a big loader on a large tractor, 14'. 22 feet of reach should be enough for about anything.

A pole saw will be here long before one of those though, unless I have a rich uncle I don't know about yet.
Yeah i know the bucket will make it go higher, But all i have is a riding mower.lol

Yeah i know the bucket will make it go higher, But all i have is a riding mower.lol

Heck SS, you're in Arkysaw. There's plenty of redneck ingenuity there. I see a lawn mower loader made of 2x4s and a boat winch lol! If I knew how to photoshop, I'd already be on it!

Back