No oil pressure at start up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I posted before about the morebark Hurricane ive been working on. After replacing the clutch assembly it would start and run perfect for 10 sec. or so and die. I checked the oil, though a little thick it was full. So i ruled out rhe low oil kill switch. But i noticed on start up the oil pressure gage doesnt show any pressure.
my question is would lack of oil pressure cause the low oil sensor to shut off moter. Its a Caterpillar diesel. How can i check this? thanks for any help.

I posted before about the morebark Hurricane ive been working on. After replacing the clutch assembly it would start and run perfect for 10 sec. or so and die. I checked the oil, though a little thick it was full. So i ruled out rhe low oil kill switch. But i noticed on start up the oil pressure gage doesnt show any pressure.
my question is would lack of oil pressure cause the low oil sensor to shut off moter. Its a Caterpillar diesel. How can i check this? thanks for any help.
No oil pressure is activating the murphy switch killing the motor.Put a manual oil pressure where the oil sending unit goes,if no oil pressure when engine is spinning over got problems.

I went and bought one and hooked it up. as it was cranking she fluctuated a little, but nothing when it fired up. Ran for a few seconds then shut off.
I found a spot to connect it but it was high on the block next to some kind of sending unit.
Maybe its not in the right place?
Seems strange it was running fine before they blew the clucth up.
so whats next? Do diesels have oil pumps like a gas motor?

Sounds like you hooked up to a oil galley near a sending unit,any oil galley should be ok .Hate to tell you but i think your next step is to pull oil pan,if your lucky,maybe the oil pickup,it's the tube that goes from the oil pump downward to oil pan with a screen in it ,fell off, broke or cracked making the oil pump unable to suck oil.Not familiar with the engine ,you might able to to remove pump ,put the pickup in a bucket of oil and spin gear to see if it sucks and pickups oil ,maybe the check valve in the pump is stuck,one thing don't run it with out oil pressure.

Back