No oil to Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older (18 years) McCullough chain saw (about 34 cc). I do not have it with me to give model number.

The chain is no longer getting oiled. Where do I check first? Are these "cheaper" saws using just a "gravity feed" system, or is there actually some sort of pump involved?

I only use it occasionally - the problem was not there during it's last use.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, comments, etc.

Post his again in the chainsaw forum, you will have much better luck getting an answer there.
Andy

I had a cheap little Mcc 32cc from a garage sale. Oiler stopped working, but tossed it aside, since I had my 1st STIHL (the little 011). Tore it down for fun to see why it stopped oiling, and its high quality (sarcastic) plastic oiler drive gears were totally stripped out. It was nearly new from the garage sale, and lasted me about a cord of wood before that happened, and the clutch burned up. It was about the easiest thing to stall.

You may also want to check the oil inlet (tiny hole that's easily plugged) on the bar.

have a mac140 and its a manual oiler saw and it was my oiler seized up. bought another oiler and it works like a dream now.

Oiler pump

I had a cheap little Mcc 32cc from a garage sale. Oiler stopped working, but tossed it aside, since I had my 1st STIHL (the little 011). Tore it down for fun to see why it stopped oiling, and its high quality (sarcastic) plastic oiler drive gears were totally stripped out. It was nearly new from the garage sale, and lasted me about a cord of wood before that happened, and the clutch burned up. It was about the easiest thing to stall.

You may also want to check the oil inlet (tiny hole that's easily plugged) on the bar.

Where is the "oiler pump" located?

Depending on how old and cheap that chain saw is, you may have a button on the handle that you have to push to pump the oil to the chain. I had an old Poulan electric that was like that. It worked but your thumb got sore after a couple hours of pushing the stupid button. I like my Husky's method of chain oiling much better. However, I cut a slew of wood with that cheap junky poulan electric. It was probably good practice for me until I got the real deal.

Oiler pump

Depending on how old and cheap that chain saw is, you may have a button on the handle that you have to push to pump the oil to the chain. I had an old Poulan electric that was like that. It worked but your thumb got sore after a couple hours of pushing the stupid button. I like my Husky's method of chain oiling much better. However, I cut a slew of wood with that cheap junky poulan electric. It was probably good practice for me until I got the real deal.

No, this one has an automatic oiler.

Oiler pump

IF i were you i would look for a parts saw just like it on ebay...

But my question was "Where is the "oiler pump" located?"; I would like to know in case I have oiler problems myself, in the future.

Thanks for any info or advice.

But my question was "Where is the "oiler pump" located?"; I would like to know in case I have oiler problems myself, in the future.

Thanks for any info or advice.

You still have not provided a model number of the McCulloch saw in question... Different models had oilers in different places.

Also... repost this in the "Chainsaw" section and it will get a lot more attention.:D

Gary

Latest posts

Back