NO Spark!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Ok, on this 272 I just got recently, I knew it had some issues, spark being one of them.

I put in a new coil, and there is still no spark?? What else can affect it. I ve disconnected the kill switch, tried it in both positions. This thing is frushtrating me. What else can I check??

Thanks

What's your air gap between the coil and flywheel? Did the new coil have the ignition lead-plug terminal-plug boot? If not, did you re-use the old ignition lead? New plug? Flywheel ever taken some damage for any reason?

I ve tried 10, 12 and 14 thou. I reused the old lead, cause the new one was too short, the flywheel looks fine, cant see any damage. I still had no spark with both coil wire leads on it.

So you're letting the spark plug touch the cylinder or some other part that's not painted so it can ground? If the new lead was too short I'd say that coil was for another application, did you buy it at a dealer with a proper part number? Even if a flywheel looks undamaged, the magnets can lose magnetism although it's extremely rare. A Brigg service supervisor told me that once in a great while a technician will drop a Briggs flywheel and the magnets shatter internally.

Last edited:
yes the coil is slightly different, but he said it will work. it mouts excatly the same, only difference being the old coil had a wire coming out of it and going to ground, this new coil doesn't. Spark plug laying on cylinder, I even just held onto the end of the coil lead to see if I could feel any spark.

Airgap sounds slightly wide, try using a business card to gap it or 3 pieces of printer paper. Let the magnets pull the coil to the flywheel with the paper or card in between, then tighten.

I have had a few coils purchased new , for both 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines and and from new they were defective. all of them were returned succesfully for exchange.

just thought I'd add my .02 cents.

air gap isn't too wide, 10thou is on the narrow side, the spec is 12-14 thuo. I used the paper trick, and let the magnet suck in the coil. Dang thing.

Have you checked continuity through the old/reused plug wire? Just attempting to isolate. How does new coil ground to the case? Through the mounting screws? MAke sure ground connections are clean.:confused:

It would have to ground through the mounting screws. Same as the original. I have not tested continuity of the coil wire. I need to bring home my multimeter.

Ok, I put in a used coil today. Now I have spark. I tried it with two different plugs, it seems like a bigger spark with the old Bosch plug then with a new NGK plug.

Not up and running yet.:( The dang local suppliers are messing me around on the plastic carb spacer, thats all I need. I thought it to be leaking, so I just wanted to replace it to make sure of no leaks!!! I might just have to go ahead and use it, and hope for the best.

No problem about the coil, no worries. I was supposed to have that spacer by now, so it really didn't matter that it took a extra couple days to get the coil. Hope to have it ripping wood soon.

I also got a whole gasket set and piston/ring comming for it off Ebay. So I might have a rebuild thread comming in the near future. Although this thing had allot of compression, it has no decompression valve, and it kicks hard. My 394 has decompression, I always use it.

Thanks for the parts. Will be intouch soon, Im sure.

Last edited:
FINALLY got the saw running. One little hickup with it, I put the gasket and diapram in the wrong order, the one that goes to the needle&seat, it overloaded like crazy and wouldn't idle. Swapped them around and runs good now, set the idle screw and mixture, idles good, has nice very fast response to full throttle. Can't wait to try it out in the wood.

Latest posts

Back