Noise coming from my wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have the same thing. Chopped a few logs open and found wood worms. Burned the whole pile. Keep it away from your. House. Hope that helps.

Around here we get Red Headed Ash Borers that go after wood piles. I could hear them munching away mid winter on wood piled in the shed. They leave round holes drilled right through the wood like you drilled it. They don't do much harm and I ignore them.

At first I thought it was a frog, but now I think it is bugs eating on the wood. I have some pine and birch split and stacked by the garage and keep hearing a low cheerp cheerp about 8-10 times then quiet, then a minute latter cheerp cheerp cheerp again? Some type of wood bore bug? never heard it before coming from my oak. It is loud enough that it is easy to hear when you are near the wood pile. I can't wait till the freezing temps.

Pine borers. Hard to believe that they can make that much noise but I have heard it. This video captures it. The beginning is the noise I remember.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back