noodling or log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noodle large rounds and then pick em up onto a stump that's no taller than my knee caps and I think that it makes splitting easier. If anyone dont have a hookaroon, I highly recommend getting one, makes like a hell of a lot easier moving large rounds, I never bend over I just roll em around and pick em up with the handle....I use a Stihl Hookaroon, it's expensive but the best one I've used. The Forester hookaroon that's half price seemed like a good deal, I got one, the handle is way too big and bulky and it's hard to get a grip on it and the hook dont fit well in the end its like a hot dog in a hallway. If you don't use a hookaroon and then try one, you'll wonder how you've got on all your life without one. I'm telling you, it's one of my favorite tools I own, it goes everywhere with me, even the shower.

One must keep their HOOKAROON clean. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hear you on that. Leaves the mess in the woods and when I get home I can stack it right away rather than dump the rounds in a pile and forget about them for six months.

missedbass,
Here is how my noodling is done. Nothing exciting but more of a practical video.

Ported Jonsered 2171 Noodling Oak - YouTube

Thanks, you made it look easy

A 346xp with a sharp chisel chain is a surpricingly capable noodler, but of course there are limitations.....

I actually find it important to use chisel chain when noodling, semi-chisel doesn't work nearly as well for me....;)

maybe I had the wrong chain. all I know is I missed out on a lot of firewood because I wasn't prepared:msp_mad:

maybe I had the wrong chain. all I know is I missed out on a lot of firewood because I wasn't prepared:msp_mad:

like I said above even §**** chain can be sharpend to a nice edge and don't forget to take down the rakers accordingly. And if you have sufficient experience you can always file down on the safety stuff. No reason to throw away good stuff! :D

Noodling 45cc 345

A 346xp with a sharp chisel chain is a surpricingly capable noodler, but of course there are limitations.....

I actually find it important to use chisel chain when noodling, semi-chisel doesn't work nearly as well for me....;)

Here is one that I build over seven years ago. Nobody told the saw that you cant cut noodles with it.

PP346Rip - YouTube

I sold my splitter years ago, to much work to lift the wood on the splitter. When I get old I will make one for my skid loader with the wedge and the ram on the bottom of it. Like this one only I will build it.

skid steer log splitter - YouTube

Later
Dan

Here's what I do with oak, say bigger than 20" Dia. for firewood. I get it all stood on end, and then saw from the outer edge to a little past center at an angle until I bury the bar, and then go on to the next round until I have done that to all the rounds. Then I take a steel wedge and a 8 pound sledge and I go around and split all the rounds into halves. This process does not take all that long.

Then I go back around with the Fiskars and split the halves into firewood size pieces. This works really well unless the round is gnarly, if so, you just do what you have to do.

I'm 74 now and I don't pick up heavy stuff (though I could), I just don't. I don't own a splitter.

we noodle everything down to manageable sizes before they go in the splitter

Ditto:msp_cool:It,s the best way to make big timber safe to handle,easier on ur splitter too_Our loglift will lift what ever u wanted it to but why put a 40 + inch knarly round 250 or 300 pound in weight on ur splitter and wrestle with all that bulk when u can noodle down to manageable size,We use a 166 with manual oiler to noodle our big h/ woods to size quickly,it makes the job much quicker,safer and easier on everything including me.:msp_biggrin::chainsawguy:

Here's what I do with oak, say bigger than 20" Dia. for firewood. I get it all stood on end, and then saw from the outer edge to a little past center at an angle until I bury the bar, and then go on to the next round until I have done that to all the rounds. Then I take a steel wedge and a 8 pound sledge and I go around and split all the rounds into halves. This process does not take all that long.

Then I go back around with the Fiskars and split the halves into firewood size pieces. This works really well unless the round is gnarly, if so, you just do what you have to do.

I'm 74 now and I don't pick up heavy stuff (though I could), I just don't. I don't own a splitter.

I do Clayman's method, no splitter. I prefer it all by hand, because when I'm Clayman @ 74, I want to be able to do it all by hand. 32 now. I hope I have his stamina.

you guys just like running your saws

I only noodle the gnarliest/knotty wood. I split most of the big stuff without noodling. Always on vertical splitter. Just roll it in there. Sometimes have a piece of plywood to get it up on the foot. Two man operation. 24" is big as I go alone. If no one is around, I break out the splitting axes.

I only noodle the gnarliest/knotty wood. I split most of the big stuff without noodling. Always on vertical splitter. Just roll it in there. Sometimes have a piece of plywood to get it up on the foot. Two man operation. 24" is big as I go alone. If no one is around, I break out the splitting axes.

Well, heck ya we like saws! hehehe

I have run into a lot of big rounds I am not physically able to tip up and roll (3 to 400 lbs), without resorting to levers and fulcrum action. Heck with that, bust em where they sit. That fast tic tac toe kerf and wedges works well. Or, heavy but able to keep them upright when bucking or get them there, just noodle down to at least half size so you can get them on the trailer.

You can also combination noodle and crosscut/buck and bust off chunks while still on the log, quite useful when using a smaller saw on larger trees.

noodling

I do Clayman's method, no splitter. I prefer it all by hand, because when I'm Clayman @ 74, I want to be able to do it all by hand. 32 now. I hope I have his stamina.

I tried a plunge cutting a few rounds just off center, to the point where the wedge was going to do some good and it did make splitting a lot easier; for bigger rounds I make two more plunge cuts 90 degrees to the first, to split the halves-- can't remember where I learned this (probably on AS), it's not my original thought.

Well, heck ya we like saws! hehehe

I have run into a lot of big rounds I am not physically able to tip up and roll (3 to 400 lbs), without resorting to levers and fulcrum action. Heck with that, bust em where they sit. That fast tic tac toe kerf and wedges works well. Or, heavy but able to keep them upright when bucking or get them there, just noodle down to at least half size so you can get them on the trailer.

You can also combination noodle and crosscut/buck and bust off chunks while still on the log, quite useful when using a smaller saw on larger trees.

I haven't gotten into those 4 footers yet. Largest rounds so far was 40". Split 'em whole. I'll try some of these tips. I'm sure going to need them on the last oak I cut.

My wood splitter sits high so I don't have to bend over it and being over 60 years young I noodle all my heavy rounds to manageable lift size.I went this long with no back problems.Don't care if I wreck a saw doing this because my back is a lot more important.Chainsaws are cheap to fix.And I split for many years by hand before I got the splitter.

I noodle all the large pieces to get the loaded into the back of the truck. The wood splitter is at home and finishes the rest. Maybe one of the Left Coast fellas from the PNW can fill yall in on our wood cutting laws.

Almost forgot. Ive noodled a lot with my ported MS361 on dead madrone, white oak and black walnut. Hard stuff. Cheers!!!

hmm, vid looks familiar :p

last time we talked I think you were working oh healing your hand
mine is still running strong, by the way.

Yes I did that one. I was noodling with a 372 and the side cover was clogged up. The saw was idling way fast and the chain was turning. I never applied the chain brake or shut the saw off, I just reached in and pulled out the noodles. I had to set the saw down, hit the stop switch and turn the chain backwards to get my fingers out. Red juice was leaking all over those pretty noodles. LOL
That has to be the dumbest thing that I have ever done with a saw. LOL It could have been worse, I still have my fingers and they work fine.
That was a while back, is your 346 the old edition?

Later
Dan

I haven't gotten into those 4 footers yet. Largest rounds so far was 40". Split 'em whole. I'll try some of these tips. I'm sure going to need them on the last oak I cut.

Now the good splitting stuff, straight oak, isnt too bad to split right there, just go round and round from the outside. Just depends on the wood, some is better sledge and wedge into big chunks for later splitting, or just split it right there all the way if it is going easy.

I noodle all the large pieces to get the loaded into the back of the truck. The wood splitter is at home and finishes the rest. Maybe one of the Left Coast fellas from the PNW can fill yall in on our wood cutting laws.

Almost forgot. Ive noodled a lot with my ported MS361 on dead madrone, white oak and black walnut. Hard stuff. Cheers!!!

Ported chainsaw are just a fad.

Yes I did that one. I was noodling with a 372 and the side cover was clogged up. The saw was idling way fast and the chain was turning. I never applied the chain brake or shut the saw off, I just reached in and pulled out the noodles. I had to set the saw down, hit the stop switch and turn the chain backwards to get my fingers out. Red juice was leaking all over those pretty noodles. LOL
That has to be the dumbest thing that I have ever done with a saw. LOL It could have been worse, I still have my fingers and they work fine.
That was a while back, is your 346 the old edition?

Later
Dan

Dammit Dan......I copped a visual on that. :(

Back