Noodling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've received two twenty cord loads of 100" logs. Most are 12" -18" diameter. Which means the majority of these rounds may need noodling for me to move them from the cutting table to the splitter.
I have a 661 that could be used as a dedicated noodler.
Is there a best style chain, full house or skip tooth, special file angle, or anything else to optimize noodling?

I've received two twenty cord loads of 100" logs. Most are 12" -18" diameter. Which means the majority of these rounds may need noodling for me to move them from the cutting table to the splitter.
Is there a best style chain, full house or skip tooth, special file angle, or anything else to optimize noodling?
Wide discharge side cover helps..

Did I miss something? 12" - 18" diameter? Not that large. Can your splitter go vertical? Seems like a lot of extra work.

You don't need a dedicated noodle saw, any one will do as long as the bar is as long as your rounds. Good side cover clearance as noted helps.
I noodle part way then use a splitting maul to finish the job. Some species require deeper cuts before they split with the maul. 18" would be too small to noodle for me too but I'm not too old and my back and legs are strong.

Two 20 cord loads is a lot of wood to cut and split!

I use skip tooth chain. Removal of the chain gaurd cuts down on jams. I love my 441 for noodling and bought a second cover without a chain guard for that purpose. A 661 sounds like way overkill for noodling rounds.

I use skip tooth chain. Removal of the chain gaurd cuts down on jams. I love my 441 for noodling and bought a second cover without a chain guard for that purpose. A 661 sounds like way overkill for noodling rounds.

A short section of roller conveyor to move from table to splitter. I have 2 longer sections here that could be cut down. You're more than welcome to what you need.
Nice idea, and generous offer.
I have had some in the distant past, 25 years so, and have a good idea of its shape, size and weight.
It is something to think hard on considering the mess only a little noodling creates.
I'm 67, and beginning to feel hard work in my hips. So even something many of you could easily man handle, the repetitiveness of so much, hurts thinking about it.
The wood is nice size for splits and it's clean.
Square chisel, I'm assuming would take a lot of time without a grinder. And if there is any dirt at all, I hear it really dulls it up quick. I should get a loop and try that as well to know first hand. I hear it cuts phenomenal, but no one I know uses it.
The last two log loads were just the opposite, quite small diameter. It was more difficult to remove from log pile with forks. Not a lot of mass to it, and would criss cross and snag under each other pulling out of the pile, vs rolling down the pile. Lots of pick up sticks, and a bit of hand loading on the forks made it quicker once the end of the pile was messed up. Made for a lot of cutting, and single splits. It's all good wood. Larger logs can have more rot, or be hollow. Each load is different. I have room for three loads, and usually buy two at a time, so what they bring I get two off.
I was wondering about skip tooth, as I've never even seen it, let alone used it. I do have a smaller saw, a 357 xp or 562 xp to try it on. I've been using both on the log decks. Run one till empty or needs sharpening, use the other. Otherwise one sits on the shelf.
In the past I considered a vertical/horizontal spitter mounted on an extended section of bench. Having bought the dump trailer, and about giving away the truck it replaced due to the repair bill, money is not available at this time. A processor is the goal, so trying not to get side tracked. Other non firewood projects this spring as well, which is why I'm not ankle deep in noodles yet.
Did I mention the cost of lumber? Holly crap!

i think it is called a pickaroon? it has a long sturdy handle with a levered set of jaws on one end to grab logs and move them. Everything under 8 inches diameter gets split horizontal everything over that size gets split with the machine vertically setup.

I noodle all the time. Anything I can't split by hand as I don't have a splitter. I use a full skip with a 10deg chain. I find it works a treat. I did it on my 391 and now on my 361. My rounds are cut to about 13" but some of them are 40" across..

I have some blocks of scrap wood that I try and get the rounds onto so I don't hit the ground.

Whittling down my current non firewood project(s) this week. Then maybe six cord of small logs to clean up first. I need to find some skip tooth chain to try. I'm happy to get the larger (to me) stuff and put the SuperSplit to work pealing splits off and dropping them in the conveyor. The wood lot smells great from the newly delivered logs. We have seen an immature bald eagle eating a fish this week, and several owls. The owls must be mating, as they are really vocal throughout the day. Margaret took these photos.

IMG_0044.jpgIMG_0045.jpgIMG_0066.jpgIMG_0067.jpg

Latest posts

Back