northstar 4-way wedge bolt on wings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernonFirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 22 ton northstar splitter. at northern tool they sell two wings you can bolt on to the wedge to make it a four way. Does any one have any experience wth these? would it be worth purchasing for 70 bucks, or just a waste of money? It says it increases output by 3 times, i dont quite believe that but if it could double my output it would be worth it. THANKS.

Theoretically it could tripple your output. You are basically splitting 3 ways as opposed to it's name of a 4 way. Without them you are splitting one round in half then halfing the halves(typically). Unless you get alot of rounds like I seem to get(18"-40" across). So with one push you are accomplishing 3 pushes.

VernonFirewood -

I think that is what we got when we bought the Northern 4" kit. Below is a picture, we ended up un-bolting it but our application is different than most.... using it on a Case Backhoe, upside down. We found it kind of awkward to align up and get worthy pieces. If it was mounted on a normal vertical or horizontal beam it should work just fine. We also noticed it might take more cylindar to go through knotty hard wood with the four way, like maybe a 4.5" or 5".

Also a link to the Backhoe Splitter video and picture posting
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59485

splitter4_400.jpg

Vernon -the 4 way works great on 10-14 inch logs-also check ebay for wood splitters- I bought a new set of wedges for about 30 dollars. Hope this helps.

i was wondering if it is going to really increase production, or is it just going to just increase cycle time and crush the wood it too small of pieces. im not making the bundled size pieces u see in grocery stores. i just want pieces small enough to move with one hand.

I have the identical splitter purchased this fall. I was able to con NT out of a set of 4-ways for some trouble I had (another story). There are many people who claim the only way a 4-way should be used, is on a wood splitter with the wedge "FIXED" on the end of the I-beam. Not on splitters with the wedge on the piston end (like yours). The reason being is the 4-ways like to twist when hitting knots or hard spots, which isnt good for the cylinder. Some feel the 4-way actually needs to have the freedom to ride up and down during the process.

What I have found with my set is when the 4-way wedge starts splitting, the bottom 1/2 of the log under the 4-way is sandwiched between the wedge and the I-beam. So there is much added pressure on the splitter to try and push the wedge along the sandwiched piece of wood to the end of the stroke. The top 1/2 of the log is free to split away without resistance, but the 4-way is riding the bottom 1/2 the whole time and the wood has nowhere to go. For splitters with the 4-way attached to the "end" of the I-beam, the resistance isnt there. The wood pretty much just falls off the end of the splitter.

One more note. You almost have to be satisfied with the size splits you get when using the wedge. It seems like some are too big, which is fine if you dont mind. But you can't simply take that large split and just split it again, otherwise you will quarter it up into 4 splits which are too small. If you had the perfect sized wood all of the time ( 16-18"), the splits would be fine. But thats not my case. And I dont want to take the wedges off and re-split a pile I just got done splitting. But this could be done with a ax.

I know many have 4-ways, and love them. There is a 50-50 chance I will use mine again someday. But to me, it's not worth the $70, maybe if you run across a deal, it may be worth a try. I found them to be hard on my splitter, so I hate to take a chance on ruining something that can be avoided. One thing nice about owning a splitter is we have the option to split at our leisure. Much nicer than renting one for a weekend and "having to bust your nuts" until the job is done. So if it takes a bit extra time without a 4 way, I'm willing to take the time. :cheers:

4 way

If you are building a 4 way, you can avoid the bottom pieces binding on the beam by welding the wings on an angle,.. so the block of wood rises as it goes threw the wedges, also cut and grind the leading edge like a mower blade,. flat on the bottom and beveled on the top,.

so do you think it would be worth the $70 or will it put too much pressure on my spitter since the 4-way is on the shaft. and did it increase your cycle time with the four way wedge on?

so do you think it would be worth the $70 or will it put too much pressure on my spitter since the 4-way is on the shaft. and did it increase your cycle time with the four way wedge on?

It won't affect your unloaded cycle time at all. It might slow your loaded cycle time a little but seeing how you would be taking 2 future cycles away it could be seen as reducing it.

I know what you could do. The set I got from NT for free was a set that someone had bought and returned because he didnt like them, according to the salesman. I could see they were used a bit. Maybe purchase a set and try them out, if you like them keep them. If not, simply get a refund. I wont try and convince you one way or another. But I will give a honest testimony on how I felt they worked on my machine. I think they put abnormal stress on the splitter being they are located on the ram. Personally, I like having the (single) wedge on the ram, opposed to the end of the I-beam. But I feel the best place for a 4-way is on the end of the I-beam. If you try a set out, let us know your opinion.

I can definately understand how the 4-way wedge could cause abnormal stress i am going to take your advise and not even risk the damage. The wood on the bottom putting upward pressure on the ram would definately be bad. thanks i appreciate the help and not wasting 70 bucks.

my mistake,

I think I missed the fact you are workin on the other end ,.. I was workin on the far end of the cylinder,...E,J,...

4 way

Depends on how the cylinder is mounted really, I've made a set for the splitter in the pic. But let me tell ya, if your processing green wood forget it. It takes a he** of alot of pressure. and You need the right size of wood. What I did was make mine slip over the wedge so I could move it as nessesary. Worked okay but wasn't worth the added pressure on the beam and pump. I mounted the cylinder by one end and the other is directly fastened to the slidder or wedge, It can move about freely, should things start to twist. this gitup is 16hp with a 5 inch X 36 inch ram. Takes all of it to bust a green hedge block 16" in diameter with a 4way. Now, there is things you can do to lesson the pressure if you have the tools, but wasn't worth the effort.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back