Northwest Red Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retoid,

Can you please tell me where I can get a setup like that for my Stihl 460magnum? I would love to do that!! If you don't mind me asking what would something like that cost? Minus the saw of course...:chainsaw:

Hey guys, thank you very much for taking an interest in the wood and milling.

So far we have only milled Northwest Red Cedar which is our main focus since it is pretty rot resistant. We use the wood for mt bike features like wall rides, bridges, jumps and landings in an area we have been building trails for some time now.

Since cedar dos not sell as firewood, only kindling sometimes it is usually easier to come across. Most of the cedar you see in the pictures there I have received free from a friend in the tree cutting business. Others I have cut down.

My friends and I are pretty new to milling, just started this winter actually. We started out with a Husky 359 XP and love the saw but found it was not enough for milling. So I came across this Husky 2100 CD on craigslist for $300 including 3 bars, 36", 33" and 28" lengths. Great deal btw. And ended up spending another $100 on parts and repairs.
Attached to the saw is a Granberg Alaskan Mill MK-III 36".
We have ordered a granberg ripping chain as well but have not yet used it. Yesterday when we milled all that wood in the pictures above, we used a standard Oregon skip chain, 3/8", .063. Believe it or not, we did not sharpen the chain once and it even cut a bullet straight in half that was in the tree. Looks like a 9mm. I looked at the chain to see if any teeth were messed up but they all look fine. I cannot say for sure whats best for us yet since I have not tried the Granberg ripping chain but I think that buying a 100' reel of Oregon chain is going to do the trick.

For those of you asking about how to set something up like this. It's easy!
Get a powerful saw, an alaskan mill (or fabricate one if you please.) and start milling.

820Wards: Since this was all done right in my yard I didn't take a lunch at all :) We just ate some frozen pizzas. Our goal was to get as much wood milled as possible. 3 of us spent 8 hours milling. 2 Guys manning the mill and one putting the wedge in, removing and debarking the planks.

Last edited:
Nice pics! Do you ever have any non-millable wood that you want to get rid of? ;)

hehe sorry, I don't come across much good wood other than cedar which we hoard. All the other wood I have is deadfall or recently fallen tree's from winter that all gets turned into firewood.

Hey, see anything familiar in this picture?
2418332967_5abe984d14.jpg

Typical I suppose.

That second picture says it all.

No taste in chainsaws OR BEER! :dizzy:

I have been getting some red cedar mostly free since my source is unable to sell it as firewood. This wood suits my needs perfectly. We are milling this wood to create planks for outdoor woodwork for mt. bike features like wall rides and ladders.

Here are some photos of what we have done so far.

2275039978_1ca50a9fa8.jpg

2281146700_0022e60842.jpg

2281145420_61c5573d25.jpg

2281165322_3e6856992e.jpg

For the first few logs we have been using a Husky 359 XP. Powerful saw but just not the right saw for the job. We will be using a Husky 2100 CD with a 38" bar soon.

That second picture says it all.

No taste in chainsaws OR BEER! :dizzy:

FYI, that beer isn't mine. I drink this:

2407990249_081ea8c4ff.jpg

And as for the saws, it's personal preference. Stihl or Husky, as far as I see it they are in the same class. At least I am not running a homelite.
The 2100 CD with 3 bars for $300 was to good of a deal to pass up.

Nice! I'd like to try some of that.

FYI.... I just couldn't pass on the opportunity to rip on you Husky owners. Beer and chainsaws are both probably personal preference, but PBR??? eeeesh! That's a stretch.

I ran into a problem yesterday while milling.
We were running the 2100 and it just died. I started it up again, and it reved at full power for about 2 seconds and died again and continued to do that.
So I looked at the air filter and noticed it was pretty saturated and dirty. I cleaned it off as good as possible and blew on it, re assembled and tried again but it continued to do the same thing.

Any ideas? Maybe the air filter needs a real good airing to clean it out completely?

I ran into a problem yesterday while milling.
We were running the 2100 and it just died. I started it up again, and it reved at full power for about 2 seconds and died again and continued to do that.
So I looked at the air filter and noticed it was pretty saturated and dirty. I cleaned it off as good as possible and blew on it, re assembled and tried again but it continued to do the same thing.

Any ideas? Maybe the air filter needs a real good airing to clean it out completely?

I'd check to see if your fuel line is not old and cracked, or the filter on the of the fuel line in the tank is not plugged with fine saw dust chips. If the saw has no in-line filter you could have some fine saw dust up in the carb causing fuel pickup problems. This problem would require you to remove the carb, disassemble and clean.

If not a fuel line/filter problem, check that your ground/off switch wiring is not chaffed and grounding out on the frame or even a possible a bad ground/off switch.

jerry-

More Whatcom county

Point Roberts is in Whatcom county, somewhat in the twilight zone between Canada and the US. I have posted pics of my cedar logs on the Milling forum under the Cedar thread...
We have a lot of Cedar, Silver fir and Hemlock fir, and of course the red alder and big leaf maple.

Point Roberts is in Whatcom county, somewhat in the twilight zone between Canada and the US. I have posted pics of my cedar logs on the Milling forum under the Cedar thread...
We have a lot of Cedar, Silver fir and Hemlock fir, and of course the red alder and big leaf maple.
In a past life back in the early 60s, I ran into Sedro Woolly for Skagit Steel.
We were hauling government machine tools out of Pontiac , Mich. for their mortor ammo plant & then hauling their ship hoists to the Chester ship yards in Pa.
This string of posts brings back alot of old memorys to this ole man.

Sorry all of my pictures are failing on this thread, not sure why.

In any case, here are a few more related.

All split cedar.
5406369078_5f3c542fd3_z.jpg

Essentials of trail building.
5405765949_f7caa766c5_z.jpg

Milled cedar planks.
3537242731_a96d2bed11_z.jpg

3538054640_91bb517f5a_z.jpg

3538055160_c8d0552f61_z.jpg

Split cedar
3620252256_64916131b6_z.jpg

Split cedar planks and a milled bowed thin cedar.
2287513998_73f81f3803_z.jpg

Back