Northwest Red Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been getting some red cedar mostly free since my source is unable to sell it as firewood. This wood suits my needs perfectly. We are milling this wood to create planks for outdoor woodwork for mt. bike features like wall rides and ladders.

Here are some photos of what we have done so far.

2275039978_1ca50a9fa8.jpg

2281146700_0022e60842.jpg

2281145420_61c5573d25.jpg

2281165322_3e6856992e.jpg

For the first few logs we have been using a Husky 359 XP. Powerful saw but just not the right saw for the job. We will be using a Husky 2100 CD with a 38" bar soon.

I'm exited to try out my new milling saw on this wood. husky 2100 CD :)
Should perform a bit better than the husky 359 XP.

Only a couple months of owning a chainsaw and im hooked! I've been considering getting a Woodmizer LT28.
I love wood working!

Last edited:
Another Idea

cedar planks are used for grilling fish, some of the best. Red cedar should be ok right? Save a couple of those.

Soak a plank in some water , throw it on the BBQ, add a steelhead or salmon.
MMmm. yum

cedar planks are used for grilling fish, some of the best. Red cedar should be ok right? Save a couple of those.

Soak a plank in some water , throw it on the BBQ, add a steelhead or salmon.
MMmm. yum

Oh but ofcourse :D I have already been using scrap pieces for my salmon :)
Red cedar is some of the best for just that!

Alder, cherry and apple are good to.

would you mind giving info on your saw mill setup. 36 alaskan? Chain? looks pretty new. How fast can you make those planks? Id like to get one.

Well what you see here:

2323918381_c76ac7441a.jpg

2323919731_76991fc716.jpg

...is what we milled with the Alaskan 36" using the 359XP. It did the job but didnt cut very fast. The first few cuts took approx. 1 minute each.
The 359XP is brand new, we've had it for a month now. But it will now become our trail saw if you will. It's a great powerful saw with a 24" bar. Not bad to carry if attached to a backpack. Then we will use the 2100 CD for milling that will be stationary here at my place.

Here is the 359XP next to the 3 bars that came with the 2100 CD
2324746000_acebe7739d.jpg

More cedar to be milled.
2323921755_5125a27fc1.jpg

We are using this cedar to build wall rides and bridges for mt bike trails.
Something like this, to give you an example.
K6_wallride.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. yeah, we got alder down here too. so you been fishin lately?
nothing beats a day of wood and fish.

No havnt been fishing yet, it's not really in season here. I will definitely be fishing the columbia river this summer for huge trout!

Oh but ofcourse :D I have already been using scrap pieces for my salmon :)
Red cedar is some of the best for just that!

Alder, cherry and apple are good to.

OK my mouth is watering trying to picture those fish smoking over a ceder grill. I did a wild pig in Alaska over Alder wood and was it ever good. I shipped a pig I killed to my cousin in Alaska that we roasted over alder wood for six hours for the 4th Of July. The meat was falling off the bone it was so tender. Here is a picture of my daughter and I watching the pig roast. My daughter actually field dressed and skinned the pig. She's a wildlife biologist.

jerry-

Oh wow, I bet that pig tasted amazing! That is something I will have to try sometime.

My buddy and I made some beer can chicken with Cornish hens. We used red bull cans cause they are thinner and filled them up with beer. I cant remember which kind, it was no doubt a good NW beer though. Then we added alder chips to the coals. When they were done they were very dark reddish amber in color, the skin had the perfect crunch to it and the chicken was amazingly moist and tasty!

Oh wow, I bet that pig tasted amazing! That is something I will have to try sometime.

My buddy and I made some beer can chicken with Cornish hens. We used red bull cans cause they are thinner and filled them up with beer. I cant remember which kind, it was no doubt a good NW beer though. Then we added alder chips to the coals. When they were done they were very dark reddish amber in color, the skin had the perfect crunch to it and the chicken was amazingly moist and tasty!

I'm going to have to try your method the next time I go hunting. It will blow the guys away!!!

If you hunt and get venison try using equal amounts of ground venison and Linguesa. It's a Porugese pork sausage. Mix them together and BBQ. Some chopped onions added to the ground meat is Goooood! The smell out in the country is really good. A favorite beer and burger. Pretty hard to beat.
jerry-

I'm going to have to try your method the next time I go hunting. It will blow the guys away!!!

If you hunt and get venison try using equal amounts of ground venison and Linguesa. It's a Porugese pork sausage. Mix them together and BBQ. Some chopped onions added to the ground meat is Goooood! The smell out in the country is really good. A favorite beer and burger. Pretty hard to beat.
jerry-

Oh man, we should start an Arborist Recipe thread :) That sounds delicious!

Oh man, we should start an Arborist Recipe thread :) That sounds delicious!

We should ask all the chainsaw/milling people what they take to eat when they go out cutting. I take a small gas grill and do links, a little sour kraut, some mustard...:D It's a social thing to cook for your friends and family. No beer until after we drive back home though...

jerry-

Nice milling guy, what kind of wood did you mill?

I'm still working on my mill. I have to put some handles on it for when I'm milling because it is not a chainsaw, it's a 2-stroke power head with a manual oil pump. See attached pictures.

So what did you take to eat that day? Something good I hope? I'm going out varmint shooting Wednesday and I'm going to BBQ some Buffalo steaks a friend gave me.

Again, nice wood!

jerry-

Hi "retoid",

nice pics to a very interesting theme. Give more information to your work.

Latest posts

Back