Norway Maples.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ailathus or tree of heaven is worse for that, even Siberian elm is worse for invasiveness.

Here in New England, Norway Maples are more invasive than Ailanthus or Siberian Elm. Granted, Ailanthus is still bad. I suggest cut and replace almost every time I see one. Siberian Elm isn't to bad here.

Here in New England, Norway Maples are more invasive than Ailanthus or Siberian Elm.

I find those two take over any hedge near by, in the city they are in every chainlink fence.

Might be that we are a bit cooler then you, or that you've just had them longer and have reached critical mass sooner.

Must not happen to me because I use a bypass, then push or pull the chunk off. The only time I will salami cut is if I want a tear cut to hold ans swing down to the base.
i cut em strait threw on a slight angle and let em ride down the bar keeping both hands on the saw. i dont think the cut has anything to do with the noise. snap cut, rip,or bore if the tree has compression any cut will release it. from my experiences locust is the worst and the snap can be felt down in the gaffs can/will pinch your bar if not careful. my experiences with this are very very limited and nothing has ever split apart on me yet. just remember to use both of your lines and cinch it up tight.

Last edited:
Ailathus or tree of heaven is worse for that, even Siberian elm is worse for invasiveness.

Here in New England, Norway Maples are more invasive than Ailanthus or Siberian Elm. Granted, Ailanthus is still bad. I suggest cut and replace almost every time I see one. Siberian Elm isn't to bad here.
there is no such thing as a bad species of tree, ailathus,elm are great trees:cheers:

Last edited:
I will be doing a monster Norway in about 3 weeks. I will take the camera up for sound and video. The cracking and snaping is so loud and sharp. The sound reminds me of being near a large frozen lake in Winter. you can hear cracking and stuff.......:camera:

the last time i experienced the cracking sound it was summer time so weather may play a part but compression wood is what it is. be careful up there guys

This was a big Norway Maple, taken out in downtown Leesburg VA. a couple of winters ago.
it was 11 degrees that morning, with 20+ mph winds all day. froze my a$$ off.

this tree had been cabled in 4 directions, that made it fun.
I've got a lot of pics, all around 1 mb. need to re size.

Last edited:
here is a nice size norway maple found in trenton nj that i had removed. every limb filled up our truck and we only have a 12in chipper.
attachment.php

Back