norwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ am thinking about getting a Norwood lumberlite 24 does anyone have any comments about this mill? I ran an older lumbermate which has the same engine as the lumberlite 13hp Honda. I would like to get a lumbermate but the lumberlite is in my price range. Thanks

Well of course you understand that if you do get one, you are obligated to share it with any fellow AS forum members within a days drive of you. (so...where in NY are you????) :cheers:

No room for a Norwood or any other full blown bandmill at the moment, but there are several on here that are and have one, they will chime in soon.

I’ am thinking about getting a Norwood lumberlite 24 does anyone have any comments about this mill? I ran an older lumbermate which has the same engine as the lumberlite 13hp Honda. I would like to get a lumbermate but the lumberlite is in my price range. Thanks

I think what mill to buy, should be determined by what kind and size of logs you have... NOT, just by how much $$ you have...

So, what kind and size logs do you have??

Rob

I second what Sawyer Rob said.

Also I believe the most basic model of the Lumbermate 2000 can be had for not too much more than a Lumberlite 24. I believe it was around 5500 for a basic LM2000 (going from memory dont quote me)

If you are a continually sawing medium to large size hardwood, or large softwood I would go up to a LM2000 in a heartbeat. The nice thing with Norwood is you can buy just the mill and engine to start, and upgrade as you need it. All parts bolt on or slip in and are easy to attach.

I have a LM2000, the LL24's bigger brother and it is almost a year old and it has seen its share of timber. We used it to build a new porch on our hunt camp, saw barn board and dimensional lumber for projects on our farm, and saw hardwood for flooring and trim.

Milling a large White Ash:

100_3710.jpg

Me in front of a big pile of White Pine I am currently milling on the LM2000 (about halfway done) It is for board and baton and dimensional lumber.

100_4432.jpg

Porch built from green dimensional lumber sawn on the LM2000

100_4214.jpg

Nice Pix, Wismer

Congrates on the mill too. Norwood's for sure seem too be the most bang for the buck. I like the fact that they are upgradable too. Lookls like a nice pile of saw logs waiting on you too.:clap:

Where abouts in NY are you? I am located outside of Syracuse. I have a LL24 sitting in my front yard with a really cool blue tarp on it (for the neighbors enjoyment). The LL24 is a very good hobby mill. If you want more than that, you will be disappointed with the LL24. I have not been doing any milling lately. I have turned into a fire wood slave. You can pick the mill kit up in Buffalo and there is no sales tax (Canadian company) for $2900. You can also order it without the motor if you have one. With the economy going the direction it is, you are wise not to spend money you don’t have. I am at work right now, but if you come up with a list of questions I will answer them when I get to my house. Good luck.

I’ am going to drive to buffalo and get it. Its about a five hour ride. The smallest lumbermate is about $1500 more than the lumberlite. I plan on sawing logs in the 16'' to 20'' range hemlock, pine, and oak. The lumberlite for $2900 has a 8hp briggs I plan on getting the one with the 13 Honda. The mill I ran was an older lumbermate and only did 24''. It has the same motor as the one I want same band wheels the only difference is the track. I cant see $1500 for the different track. I plan on putting it on a conncret slab so there will be no settling. I just wanted some opinions on the lumberlite. The lumbermate is just out of the ? right now to much $.

I run Lenox blades on my LL24 and they have done well by me. U-cut in Jamesville NY sells them much cheaper than the Norwood blades. Look around locally for blades and sharpening services. It is a very real cost. Find some box steel to put your mill on. Your pad is a great idea, but once you see the mill up close I think you will agree with me. Get ready for - how long did it take you to put it together??? Pm me if you want to look at my mill before you buy. Good luck.

Mjr

Thanks for the offer to look at your mill. I' am set on Norwood it seems to be the best built for the money. So I don’t need to see one. Have you had any problems with your mill? In your other post you say its a great hobby mill why is that? Under powered? I’ am going to use mine to mill for my own use but hope to do some milling on the side and make some extra $$$. I' am also going to get the larger engine and a track extension. Why would box tubing be better to set it on? The only difference I see in the older lumbermate I looked at and the lumberlite is the track isn't the debossed metal and the saw head lift system is different. Thanks again

I don't agree that the only difference between the LL and the LM is the track. Saw on them both and you will see... The LM is MUCH stiffer and heavier built, and will take biggest logs all day long. The LL is a hobby mill and not in the class of a LM.

A LM with the 13 Honda would be a great mill to own, and worth the difference in $$ if you are going to try and make any $$ with the mill.

The older Lumbermates are NOT nearly the mill the LM2000 is either... I know this because i've owned them both.

Rob

I had quality issues with my mill. Keep in mind you are buying a kit, 13 boxes of parts. There is no form fit or function test of the mill before you buy it. The biggest problem I had was the mismatch in the track steel. The cutting head runs on 2” angle. It is shipped in four foot sections. Some of my sections were ¼” out of spec. The directions tells you to line up the steel the best you can a file any lips/mismatch off – wavy lumber. Norwood sent some replacement steel that measured close to my other sections. I have bent a log bunk and just bent a second bunk and bracket (I need to call Norwood). In the past no questions were asked and a replacement was sent to me. The bunks are VERY weak. If you go to turn a larger diameter log with a pig ear lining up with a bunk, it will bend the bunk. Unless you have some heavy equipment to move large logs I see no sense in spending any more money on a mill. I have a garage full of lumber which I am sure I could sell more than what I paid for the mill. I keep the CSM around for any big stuff. If you have any problems I sure Norwood will correct them. They are good people.

If you are thinking of going with the 13 Honda, I would recommend going with the larger mill. The price difference is not much different. If you go with the LL24 you can save some money on the track extensions. Pick up some 2” angle at a local supplier. You lose cutting distance from the space needed for the cutting head to travel. Couple of four foot sections and you will be able to cut a 16’ log, if you can move a 16’ log. I run only 12’ of track and cut 8’6” logs. I am just a hobbyist.

Back