Norwoods New Industrial Band Setter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been sharpening and setting my own bands since 1996, and i've been useing Norwoods standard sharpener and setter to do so. It works pretty good, but i always wanted something faster and more industrial with the thought of maybe doing a few bands for others too.

After learning about Norwoods NEW "industrial" sharpener and setter, i decided to give both try. I made a call to Dale at Norwood, ordered both NEW tools, and a few days later they were at my door.

Here's the setter right out of the box,

orig.jpg

After opening everything up and looking over the manual, i started putting it together. Actually, all of the important parts are already together, but you do have to assembly the "arms" that hold the band while it's being set.

The arms slide one into the other, and are held with machine screws, that have nuts on them that set into a recess inside the arms.

orig.jpg

You have to have everything "just right" to get the arms to slide in, once you have the nuts in place... I found this to be a pain, but at least you only have to do it once, just the first time around... Here's the arms together...

orig.jpg

Next thing is, i was kinda disappointed that the setter doesn't come with it's own stand. The sharpener does, but not so with the setter...

Anyway, i made up a block to screw the body of the setter onto, that i could clamp in my Black & Decker Workmate...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Here it is mounted on the block, and clamped in the Workmate, with a band installed...

orig.jpg

OK, first off you need to roll the band inside out to get the teeth aimed in the proper direction for setting. This is easily done with gloves on, then you push the band into the setter. The manual tells you what you need to know to do this, and also tells you how to make any adjustments that need to be done.

I do think it was easier for me to see how the setter works, because i already understand the setting procedure, but if you follow the manual you will get it all figured out soon enough.

Once you have the band into place, and the setter adjusted to work properly, all you have to do is get the band started on the right tooth and turn the handle, and the arm on the handle is long enough, that it turns easily...

The setter, sets a tooth on one side of the band,

orig.jpg

And then as you turn the handle, it advances to the next tooth that's "set" to the opposite side of the band.

orig.jpg

Looking at the pictures, you can see how turning in the pointed screw that does the setting, changes how much "set" you get on the teeth... Turn it in, and you get more set. Turn it out, and you get less...

orig.jpg

Turning the handle just keeps the band going around and setting the teeth on both sides of the band as it goes. I did check the time it took to set a band... Once it was on the setter and in the proper position, it took two minutes to make one round and set all the teeth!

To check the "set" on the teeth, Norwood supplies a guage to check them.

orig.jpg

And here's how you use it,

orig.jpg

Well, that's how Norwoods NEW "industrial" setter works, and i'm pleased with the speed that it gets the job done. It makes setting bands fairly painless, and certainly is fast! Now it's no big deal to set my bands EVERY time i sharpen them!!

SR

Latest posts

Back