Not a bad batch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebefree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Now onto my summer obsession,
Championship Rock Wrestling.

Realising this is not the for sale part.
Not showing these her for that.
017.JPG I'm just seeing if I can solicit some flame for the pure fun of it.

Starting from the 394, in the center, going right.

They’re all going to have new filters, plugs, seals, sprockets and all that groovy stuff.
And, yes, I always replace that tiny little, pesky little O-Ring, when I do the seals on the 372-2171 style saws. And I pressure test. And I’ve got a torque wrench and I know how to use it.
I do not use silicones or other heavy gasket sealants as I’ve seen too many impulse ports plugged. I do it by the book. I only use Locktite for the oiler & the starter pawls, or if I need to do a TimeSert (only three in this batch)

If I popped the jug they’ll have quality pistons, rings, as stated. Plus I’ll either port them a hair or, at least, knock down & clean up the speed bumps & polish it a little, and the exhaust port a good bit.
Honing it to 320.

All the 372’s and the two 2171’s were built from split cases, new bearings y todo.
I build them and then I take them thinning in matted dog hair P/J until I like them.
Well, except the big saws, those I rip rounds, rather than just bucking them, and I take them up my mountain to knock down some beetle kill.

The 394,
There’s this arrogant rich guy at the bar, buying this beautiful woman drinks, trying to impress her,
After a while she ends up leaving with this amazingly scruffy, ugly dude.
Rico says to the bartender, “I don’ get it, that guy was ugly as sin and all he did was sit there & lick his eyebrows”.
Well, this saw ain’t pretty, seems harder to come by nice furniture around my place.
Even the ported muffler, that I came by happenstance, is ugly. But it really rocks and gives a nice “PaP! PaaP!”. New Meteor Piston, sweet OEM jug that’s been gone over, honed to 320, polished, speed bumps removed. New, aftermarket, clutch cover.
This is one of the gutsier 394’s I’ve built.
But you really do want to wear ear protection.

A restored to workerboy Jonsered 930
One of those couldn’t help myself restoration jobs. An almost brand new, no heat stains, jug, as above, all polished and smoothed up brand new NOS/OEM piston. Air filter. And Mounts, those things, like the new seals, can be wicked hard to find. I used an X-Y jig to modify the modern bar to that crazy fat stud. The thing isn’t cosmetically perfect. But if you had a ’52 Power Wagon, you’d want it to show that it can still do the woods, right?
Rebuilt carb, etc.

A 575
Nicks & dings, but a very nice jug, gone over as above, new piston.
Why is it that everyone removes the carb adjusting sleeve?
I must keep Madsens in business for replacing them.
I’m admittedly an old school old fart. I’ll eat up an old 670 or 272, even, almost, over the pre EPA 2171’s/372’s.
When I first picked up a 57- saw I was shocked by the weight.
Until I ran them, their balance is otherworldly. Very sweet.
Incredibly smooth. Freaky smooth.
And the power band is, well, shocking.
I like this one after what I’ve done to it, still has some feel of rough and ready and rappy, unlike a 576 that I all the way OEMed, that thing was almost too tame.

A very nice 2171,
OEM, pre EPA jug, opened up a mere 1.5MM past the original port. Meteor piston. Just a classic, sweet smooth Jonser with a bit of extra punch. New Walbro carb, adjusting sleeve.
I do prefer the Jonseres. Not just for the fact the furniture holds out better, I do believe the design, whether by fault or intent, of the fan cover is far superior, I think the solid, unvented, bottom front does a better job of pushing the “turbo” air into the air box. The smoother profile I find to be a lot less fatiguing than the more stepped Husqy profile.
A perfect thinner/logger (as opposed to logger/thinner)

Plus they don’t have high tops. High tops make sense if you’re running fires or salvage, in my opinion, but, otherwise, I think the larger air box takes that much longer to fill before the turbo punches in. That the low profile gives much better throttle response. Being an old thinner, that’s where it’s at for me, going from idle to ripping in da nada.

A 372 (all the 372’s, including the X-Torq were all 365, CalFire boneyard saws
Here’s another sweet OEM, pre EPA jug, that I’ve punched 2.5MM past stock. Meteor piston (yes, there’s a trend here.
But the thing is double dog gnarly. And I love the way it performs, a little raw, a little nasty, a little raunchy. If it were a guitar it would be a Gibson SG and Frank Zappa would love to play it.
It performs well enough for a maestro.
The ugly being a patched rope guide on the starter cover.
Also a theme, I’m not into the expense of going all NOS. I’ll patch what I can from what I can get. The furniture is going to get bashed about.
Another fantastic thinner/logger.

A classic 630
I don’t think this thing has but a few tanks run through it since it was built in ’83. If that. There’s one tiny little nick on the chain catcher. The old style oil cap isn’t even screwed up yet. I’ve done nothing to it.
It’s perfect. Beautiful. Still has the black paint on the handle and the off sticker.
Probably the single best fire wood saw ever built.

A 372 X-torq.
New rings, polished, was a 365.
They are smooth, they do have a nice power curve.
They are certainly a good saw. And they don’t sit stihl.
A good logger/thinner/firewood saw.

Going Left from the 394,

A sweet 920,
Sweet jug, new piston, seals (again, hard to come by)
A super sweet old muscle saw. I truly love these old 87CC workhorses, these are what I ran as a logger.
The bottom end on them is truly extraordinary. Never too fast but all the torque in the world.
Also interesting to note is that many of the features, round rubber boot cylinder to carb, and other stuff, became the norm for more modern saws.
If you’re working big wood, or want to try milling, these’ll do it.

Oh, this 2171,
Okay, ignore what I just said about the furniture. I love this one so much I bought it some, the clutch cover in particular. I found an NOS/OEM pre EPA jug & piston kit. Just did in the speed bumps & polished it. As stated, all the 2171’s and 372’s were from split cases all new bearings.
And, yes, I always replace that tiny little, pesky, little O-Ring.
I managed to find a perfect pre EPA carb, no limiters, no caps, replaced the proper carb sleeve.
I have an OEM micro screen, not flocked, filter, so it’s the perfect thinner’s saw.
I can’t think of anything that’s not OEM on this one.
And, my, how she runs. If that 372 was a Gibson SG, this thing is like one of those oh so rare & perfect Les Pauls, never too bright. If George Benson got an instrument like this before “On Broadway”, he might never have gone pop.
This thing picks up perfectly and has that Jonser handling that almost does the work for you.

Okay, here’s a good one.
It took a bit, but this is no ordinary 372. It’s got a 375K jug, almost perfectly new, no heat stains, I took a bit to polish this one nice, and just tickled the porting. A brand new OEM 51.4MM, two ring piston, giving it a stock, OEM 75CC’s. Also, a brand new crank kit, all the bearings. I think the air filter is the only non OEM. The Walbro is new, as is the sleeve.
This thing is really amazing.
I was surprised by the speed of it, with the two rings and the heavier piston, I thought it would be all low end torque.
But his is probably one of the most versatile-thinner/logger saws I’ve ever run.

A Jonsereds 630 West Coast,
One of those rare finds. Someone bought it and blew it up in a few tanks. Looked straight gassed, and then put it on a shelf in a barn for decades. It’s still got the black paint on the handle bars, that stuff wears off just by looking at it.
They did cook a little spot out of the carb/plug cover from the cover getting hot.
But the crank is perfect, no heat damage but for the jug & piston which is now at 52MM’s for 72CC’s, more like a 272 in that the impulse comes through the manifold than as in a 670, but it’s Meteor and it’s all new from the rebuilt carb to the original muffler. Both coil stages are new.
This thing is so fun to run. Like a ’65 mustang someone put a screaming 289 in.

Meh, and a 455, I took in trade for another built 920. A new clutch, rim, drum & sprocket.
Cleaned up and it runs like those things run.003.JPG

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 7
Back