VERY CUTE stihl 009 floods like crazy!$#@&

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nice looking saw, I thought I could get it running. Rebuilt the carb, wont start, and fuel comes dripping out of the teeny muffler. So I rebuilt it again with another carb kit, same thing.$@#&^%$!! Put a pressure tester on the carb fuel inlet and it wont hold any pressure at all. I don't see any options for sale except for a couple new oem ones that cost more than the value of the saw! What might be wrong with this carb?IMG_3814.jpegIMG_3813.jpeg

thanks I will check those things. Pretty sure I have the diaphragms correct. I suspect a bad seat. as I tried 2 diffrent needles. will try lowering the lever, although it appears to be at the right height. Do you ever pressure test these in a jar of water?

I just tried cleaning the needle seat with rubbing compound and a q tip. I pressure tested it in a jar of water and air bubbles out of the upper hole in picture. Is that normal?IMG_3850.jpeg

I pressure tested it in a jar of water and air bubbles out of the upper hole in picture. Is that normal?
No. Your carb should be able to hold around half a bar of pressure on the fuel inlet forever. That hole were the fuel comes out should be for the pulse. If bubbles keep coming out there, you have a leak somewhere. Are you sure it's really leaking and not some air left in there? No need to submerge it, just pressure test it and make sure it doesn't leak.
While you have it apart: can you compare the old and the new metering diaphragms? Had a new carb kit coming once, with a significantly longer plunger than the old one.

No. Your carb should be able to hold around half a bar of pressure on the fuel inlet forever. That hole were the fuel comes out should be for the pulse. If bubbles keep coming out there, you have a leak somewhere. Are you sure it's really leaking and not some air left in there? No need to submerge it, just pressure test it and make sure it doesn't leak.
While you have it apart: can you compare the old and the new metering diaphragms? Had a new carb kit coming once, with a significantly longer plunger than the old one.
It's really leaking, I can pump my tester 30 times and it wont register at all. I think air is coming out the impulse hole? Tried 2 different carb kits. Just bout a used carb on ebay for 29$, so I hope that will solve it!

Pressure test with the metering side cover and diaphragm off. You can then see if bubbles come out the needle seat.
But I do agree with the others, looks like a pump side issue. How many diaphragms come it the kit?

Pressure test with the metering side cover and diaphragm off. You can then see if bubbles come out the needle seat.
But I do agree with the others, looks like a pump side issue. How many diaphragms come it the kit?
there were at least 2-3 fuel pumps diaphragms. I tried both a black one and a tan one. I did test it in water with the metering cover and diaphragm off, but the bubbles seemed like they came out the impulse hole. I bought a used one last night on ebay, so Im gonna give that a try....

There are many AM carb rebuild kits coming in lately with incorrect pump side diaphragms in the kit,they allow fuel from inside the carb to drain back through the impulse hose or orifices to the tank, just the expansion factor of the fuel mix will push fuel up to the carb and straight back to the tank.When using the AM kits one must inspect every replacement for every hole or punch out to make certain they match the original exactly.

Latest posts

Back