Not Logging But Still A Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We are going to bid aremoval of four eucs here in the city. This one in the pic is the most massive but the other are just a big at the stump. I think we can chunk it out. Getting rid of the wood is always a huge problem. We heard of a business that buys large boles like this to hollow out and make playhouses. If not then the dump fees will be very expensive. Cody is 5'10" for reference.

Wolfeboro6-09020.jpg

The street is about 60' from the tree. The lot is soft sand and at a slight slope.

Wolfeboro6-09019.jpg

Here is a load of redwood heading through town. The butt section is on top the load. I think the faller had a hard time with this tree by the look of the butt cut.

Wolfeboro6-09016.jpg

The last is a burn pile from the week before last. Most pines but also some cedar and white fir.

Wolfeboro6-09002.jpg

Man I'd sure hate to meet that truck driver in a bar fight. He's got to be as tough as a man gets to have the kahone's to drive a load of redwood through Frisco. I'm surprised the tree huggers let him get through alive.

Well, I don't do that kind of work, but I'll take a wild guess at somewhere between $3,500 and $4,500. But since it's for Frisco I'd probably double that price. :hmm3grin2orange:

Its been awhile since I bid a tree that size and i dont know what the going rate is over there, but if it were around me I would go about 8,000 on the very low side and 10g the high. . . .. it looks like in the pics that it has a few leaders going out over that pool and some over that fence that will need to be rigged out. . . . other than that it dosent look too bad to wreak out. . .. . Id chip all the small stuff (12" and smaller give or take) and block the rest out as long as possible an throw it on the picker truck. . . . prolly fire wood it if it were maple or somthing like that but I dont know if "eucs" are any good that way.

nothing here that big

we don't have anything that dang big in Arkansas but if I was going to try it, I would think about $8,000

I don't have experience with anything that big nor with prices out that way. My wild guess is 10 grand. It looks like a heck of a job you've got if you end up with the winning bid.

Ozzy rate if it was here

Guestimate...:)
Great pics.....looks like Southern blue gum.....not bad firewood......compare to pin oak burn.....
Price depends on access/ obstacles / neighbours.Plus not sure your costing the job for 4 trees total If price is for just this one tree US$4100/as firewood stays- $5000 it goes
Looks like you got a clear drop area in front....should be good to go as firewood.....maybe sell the stem/s....flooring....not highest structural rating /
about mid range / not great in the ground either.
- :givebeer:

Our bid will (probably) be $8,000 for the single tree or $20,000 for all four. I hope we can give a lot of the wood away as soon as it hits the ground. It is nice fire wood but oak is much better and smells good too.

Our bid will (probably) be $8,000 for the single tree or $20,000 for all four. I hope we can give a lot of the wood away as soon as it hits the ground. It is nice fire wood but oak is much better and smells good too.
Is eucalyptus a hardwood? Is it really any good as a firewood? If it is, I might take the whole lot. I need hardwood really bad.

Is eucalyptus a hardwood? Is it really any good as a firewood? If it is, I might take the whole lot. I need hardwood really bad.

If we get the job you can have it all! Bring your 100 ton triler and a chainsaw. Euc is pretty easy to cut, rather soft when green but it is tough and much harder once it dries out. You can hardly split it when dry! It is good firewood, I just don't like the smell of the smoke. I'm in the minority there.

If we get the job you can have it all! Bring your 100 ton triler and a chainsaw. Euc is pretty easy to cut, rather soft when green but it is tough and much harder once it dries out. You can hardly split it when dry! It is good firewood, I just don't like the smell of the smoke. I'm in the minority there.
Think I can get it all on my 20' flatbed or would I have to make 2 trips? :greenchainsaw:

Actually, I've been doing some reading and have decided that it's probably worth the trips from Reno to Frisco and back. I'll take it all. :clap: (Note to AS members, I called dibs first).

What's the time frame? And can I come and watch you cut?

We did one here a couple of years back with 1 large Hackberry and two large Maples all over the house. No where near as big as that Euc in the pic. Largest two trees were around 3' DBH. The hackberry had large split leaders which swayed back over the house. One of the maples was hollow and rotten through and through. We did all three trees for 10.5 and was the lowest bid. I heard the other bids were upwards of 12 to 20K. We hired a crane to pick everything over the house. Was nice to have the crane to lift everything out of the backyard and load out the trucks with it. 60K pounds is a lot of wood to have to manually move. We had the trees down in 10 hours and had everything off site by noon the next day. A crane can be worth it's weight in gold on those big ones. I was in Sonoma County, up around the Mendocino County line a couple of years ago and had the opportunity to watch an old climber piece out a Redwood. I talked to him and learned that he was doing that tree for a song. Much lower than I would have figured. I think part of it is that area is saturated with loggers and treemen. It is traditional logging country and big trees are common out there.

Anyway, looks like a good job. Hope you get it and take some pics for us!

renting a crane or some type of self loader definately sounds like the way to go,and i dont know what that eucalyptus wood is worth for lumber or firewood but i would rather set it off at someones house or wood lot even if for free just to get rid of it, and collect the check for the removal

Latest posts

Back