Not So Huge Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't run my sawmill in the winter as much as i use to, but these sunny at or near 80* temps makes me want to mill some lumber!

So, as i have a customer/friend who needs some 5/4 lumber and 3x8-16 beams out of white pine, i decided to get started milling some out.

I have some white pine logs around, so after leveling the mill up, i picked a log off my "log hauling" running gear,

orig.jpg

And loaded it on the mill,

orig.jpg

And took a slab off, then getting a couple 5/4 boards,

orig.jpg

And a 3x8, as this log was only big enough to get one 3x8 out of,

orig.jpg

So, with the 5/4 and 3x8 all edged up, this is what i got out of the log,

orig.jpg

Then i cleaned up all the slabs and other edgeing around the mill, chainsawing it all up for firewood that i'll use to heat my house,

orig.jpg

And then onto the next log, to do it all over again! lol

Rob

Rob,

Looks like you got the nice weather we've had out here in CA. It's raining hard here as a type this so maybe you inherit this nice rain ... :) Just kidding.

Thanks for showing us your mill and how nice it cuts. Wished I had room to have something like that setup here.

jerry-

Now you've gone an done it...it'll snow tomorrow on ya:msp_unsure:

Great series of photo's too.
What is the max length on your milling set-up?

Scott (straight logs too) B

We are done with snow! It's never going to snow here again EVER! lol

My mill will saw 32" x 21' logs max. Well, i can saw a little bigger diameter log, but it gets to be a lot of work when they go over about 30" like this one was,

orig.jpg

Glad you guys like the picts...

SR

Sawyer Rob
I like how you are rolling a log that size with that turning winch. I have a Timberking 1600 and I don't have a Hyd turner. It is such a PAIN to turn the big logs. I generally use the forklift but it is combersom and slow. My log dog system is very close to that design but I don't have the wheels on the top. Do you feel the wheels help a lot? My capacity is 36" by 16'. Do you think a winch could turn a log that size? Love the pics!!

Sawyer Rob
I like how you are rolling a log that size with that turning winch. I have a Timberking 1600 and I don't have a Hyd turner. It is such a PAIN to turn the big logs. I generally use the forklift but it is combersom and slow. My log dog system is very close to that design but I don't have the wheels on the top. Do you feel the wheels help a lot? My capacity is 36" by 16'. Do you think a winch could turn a log that size? Love the pics!!

Glad you liked the picts...

Yes, the wheels do help a lot. Those big logs want to climb the log post, and the wheels help a lot in keeping that from happening.

As for the winch turning big logs, A good made in USA winch WILL turn big logs, but don't expect a harbor freight made in china winch to do it. The good winches are geared different and have a LOT of power.

SR

Back