Not sure what to charge her?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneralKayoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Little tiny job cutting off two small stumps. Lady placed an ad on FB marketplace wanting someone to do it for $50. I'm about 40 miles away so that isn't happening, maybe if she were just down the road or next door but I digress. So there's gas, travel time and the chance of ruining a chain on a yard stump... probably have it done in 30 minutes. So what $100-$120?

435471449_419998477301336_1288230047446783428_n.jpg430915387_1071620360610427_3511222639390445150_n.jpg

My question is why didn’t the guy or company cut it to the ground ?? So to me it has metal in it fencing nails etc.. I wouldn’t start my saw for less than 200 to be honest you should just count at least one chain probably 2 to be safe . Just my 2 cents as always not worth that lol

My question is why didn’t the guy or company cut it to the ground ??
I also wondered this! That stump looks like it's almost guaranteed to have crap in the middle of it now that I'm really looking at it. Dirt. Rocks. Maybe even some kids old toy embedded in it. lol

Little tiny job cutting off two small stumps. Lady placed an ad on FB marketplace wanting someone to do it for $50. I'm about 40 miles away so that isn't happening, maybe if she were just down the road or next door but I digress. So there's gas, travel time and the chance of ruining a chain on a yard stump... probably have it done in 30 minutes. So what $100-$120?

View attachment 1168357View attachment 1168358
Thinking a job for a reciprocating saw and a demolition blade. I would take a bit longer but cheap blades. Hourly fee.

I won't get in the truck for $120, the last guys left the stump for a reason

to drive 40 miles each way, plus a guarantee of wrecking atleast one chain and having to go buy another one or sharpen, I'm going to call it 2hr15m before any work starts

$560 + time on the job (depending on city or not, where im at, to go 40 miles north would be close to an hour and a half to 2 hours, to go 40 miles south would be an hour) but id expect about $700 after dealing with traffic and a saw shop run or anything like that, $560 is best case scenario and if she's nice and offers snacks or beer lol

no way id even bother, especially because those always work out to be some karen that won't be happy that the stump is an inch tall at the end and expects you to grind it, and buy materials and repair the fence if anything happens to it, there will be no winning, only whining

I would bet those were cut with the corded electric saw shown at the edge of the second photo, and it had all it could handle cutting off what you see. I doubt there is any nefarious intent by the cutter, they just were overmatched by the stump. looking more closely at the first pic, wood on the ground in the background, and do I see multiple kerf marks on the standing "stems"?

If it was my neighbor or friend, I would do it. I would not be driving anywhere for a random Facebooker.

I would bet those were cut with the corded electric saw shown at the edge of the second photo, and it had all it could handle cutting off what you see. I doubt there is any nefarious intent by the cutter, they just were overmatched by the stump. looking more closely at the first pic, wood on the ground in the background, and do I see multiple kerf marks on the standing "stems"?

If it was my neighbor or friend, I would do it. I would not be driving anywhere for a random Facebooker.
You're exactly right. I guess she and/or her husband cut it down. I made her an offer of $160 cash, told her if all went well and smooth that I would only ask $100-$120. She needed it gone by tomorrow and the soonest I could make it is this weekend so they opted to just buy a bigger saw and do it themselves. Which was probably the smartest option on their part TBH.

The whole round trip including labor and loading/unloading would have been less than 2.5 hours and I would have done it on my day off. 15 bucks worth of gas. I'll take $150 for a little drive and 20 minutes of cutting.
Well, we all value our time differently

I would pass on that 1 there's a story behind why they weren't cut flush with the ground 2 40 miles is a tad bit of a ways for gas or diesel (depending what you drive) 3 she will probably say no to anything above 100 but now if your determined to do it make it 75 bucks and a 12 pack just saying

Esther can bend over like any other gal can. Tell her 50 bucks and you'll drive your stump in no charge.... You might be surprised, old gals like to boogey too and they are experienced to boot. I'm not prejudiced to a quick zinger and have in the past before, so long as it's far enough from home that the old lady don't find out that is.

Gal down the road who is a looker and broke, wants me to grind her stump(s) and I know she wants to trade a grind for a grind already. problem is, it's way too close for those antics. Got a nice set of sisters and a tight booty too but as much as I would, I cannot because almost everything is in both our names and I'm not about to trade a little off the cuff trim for all the stuff I worked hard for. I know my limits. :D :D

If you don't know them.. you don't owe them..
I wouldn't even think to charge a neighbour to drop a tree, or do whatever. And they wouldn't take anything from me ( well, maybe a beer or two, when we were done), at my place for giving me a hand.
If I don't know you, I wouldn't leave my place, and bring equipment, for less than a hundred bucks. That's just to start, not including the price for the job that you want done.
I appreciate that you have good intentions, and want to help someone out.. But, leave it to someone a bit closer than 40 miles, who might actually be her neighbour. Or, need the money way more than you.

Back