Not your average ride.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiclmbr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey...new here. Been diggin reading through the forums, tons of good stuff here. Figured I would post up my "ride". Whilst not diesel powered nor really doing well on the 1/4 mile...it is a whole bunch o fun. Take it to the top of any mountain and point it down the hill....watch the perma-grin take over.

glamour.jpg

4274_85314899633_561079633_1673251_3691435_n.jpg

Hope to be adding some usefull (and not so usefull) chatter to the forum here...

I will snap that thing in half, send spokes flying all directions.:cheers: You should get some bar ends before its to late.

Man that front shock brace seems to close to the tire.

I will snap that thing in half, send spokes flying all directions.:cheers: You should get some bar ends before its to late.

Man that front shock brace seems to close to the tire.

You are horribly mistaken my friend...That is one the most durable freeride/downhill bikes ever created. I've been trying for 5 years to destroy that frame with no luck. The cross brace on the fork moves with the fork...Ive never had problems with clearance issues even in a fullblown mudfest DH race at Snowshoe a couple years ago.

Yeah! Sick ride Hiclimbr. I rode a Transition for a couple years when I was up in Glacier,WA. It looked identical to that Kona.

Unbeliveably, I now mostly don spandex and reach for my Giant TCR full carbon road bike to kick out 50 or 60 miles in the evenings after work. Hopefully I have a good winter and I can afford to get a TRANSITION TRANS AM. I'm all about hardtails here in the buckeye state.....looking next year to add a bottlerocket to the quiver of bikes.

My current ride:
TCRAdvancedRabobank-lo.jpg

TransAM_MainPic_Large3.jpg

(not my bike, but will be this coming spring)

Last edited:
You are horribly mistaken my friend...That is one the most durable freeride/downhill bikes ever created. I've been trying for 5 years to destroy that frame with no luck. The cross brace on the fork moves with the fork...Ive never had problems with clearance issues even in a fullblown mudfest DH race at Snowshoe a couple years ago.

Don't be to sure, if you want to come up we can hit the steps at the Art Museum downtown and find out:greenchainsaw:
I had a cyclo cross with the front end having close tolerances and had some problems with debris getting in there. I have an old Y-5 I haven't rode in years.
Kona makes a real good bike for sure, does it have a double bushed head tube?

Damn, where did the OP go? I was getting all stoked to talk about bikes! I worked 11 hours today and am just getting ready to go on a 40 mile ride....I'm gonna hurt tommorow.

Don't be to sure, if you want to come up we can hit the steps at the Art Museum downtown and find out:greenchainsaw:

Kona makes a real good bike for sure, does it have a double bushed head tube?

Big, urban hucks to flat are sooo 2003 and stair gaps are for the BMX/Skate crowd.
I'm more of an all mountain, fast, flowy type of rider...I like the lift assisted park type riding, but still ride a ton of local xc. All of it on that same bike.

I'm not sure about your headtube ?? It's a standard 1 1/8 headtube and I run a cane Creek "100" head set.

Damn, where did the OP go? I was getting all stoked to talk about bikes! I worked 11 hours today and am just getting ready to go on a 40 mile ride....I'm gonna hurt tommorow.

Nice...must be a road ride. I'm lucky to pull a good 10-12 on a xc ride around here if I get started early in the am. I am building up a old steel roady a friend gave me to start turning some bigger miles.

Haven't ridden myself in over a week. Ate a big pile a shizz at the local dirtjumps last Sunday and jacked my already pretty beat right shoulder. Made my week of tree work interesting...

Big, urban hucks to flat are sooo 2003 and stair gaps are for the BMX/Skate crowd.
I'm more of an all mountain, fast, flowy type of rider...I like the lift assisted park type riding, but still ride a ton of local xc. All of it on that same bike.

I'm not sure about your headtube ?? It's a standard 1 1/8 headtube and I run a cane Creek "100" head set.

2003? Heck, I was driving my bike straight up them steps since 95. Back then there where no shocks. Coming down was cool too of course. I am (was) diehard single track(xc) and I never dismounted ( on purpose) to get over the logs.
I was down in Snowshoe a time or two hoping for the bell in pitch black. I'm not no fancy pants trick queen but i can also go up the steps sideways.:cheers:

My Y-5 has two bushings inside the head tube which support the steerer tube as well as the bearings, most likely that is your set up as well.

]

Cool bike...I work w/ a gal and her son is a well known downhill biker. He's had a few photo spreads in some magazines.

just a few of my "rides"
attachment.php

That's a nice classic early 80s Italian road bike.

I still have a handmade steel frameset that was built for me in 1986 by a English frame builder. After I replaced it as a race frame, I had mudguard eyes brazed on and used it as a winter "hack bike". I reckon it's done well over 50,000 miles.

just a few of my "rides"

attachment.php

Lovin the Lawwill linkage fork...definately a classic there. Mert would be proud!!

Your Bianchi looks very much like my 1976 Zebrakenko that I have just about finished up.

7834_124698024633_561079633_2216325_7005499_n.jpg

I used to make parts for this guy at my machine shop:

attachment.php

Nice!!! To bad Jan is a bit of a #### and his lack of CS on his first go-round has really hurt his credibility. Builds some sweet bikes though..I always wanted a Disco...

Nice!!! To bad Jan is a bit of a #### and his lack of CS on his first go-round has really hurt his credibility. Builds some sweet bikes though..I always wanted a Disco...
He was interesting and likable enough, and a fairly good engineer, but he was wracked with money problems and we had to put him on a prepay/COD basis. That was really the first nail in his coffin. He went out of business within a year or so.

Back