Now I know what 2 cords of pure red oak weighs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Standing dead, if it's "solid" and doesn't have 2" of fluffy punk-wood on the outside should be 9/10ths as heavy as "green".
I know that a standing dead red oak can be sawed out and will produce lumber of the same quality as living wood from the center portion. The moisture holds on in red oak like a toothache.

My guess: 4900-5000 pounds in a cord of it.

Thanx for the input. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened yet. The tree service I was getting the wood from had a broken-down truck to deal with today, so the tree still stands.

I recall cutting down a large standing dead red oak about three years ago. I was all set to reap the harvest until I discovered that carpenter ants had invaded the tree 25 feet up and were actually working there way down toward the trunk and had gotten to within 3 feet of the ground. They and a few other critters had easily cut the yield in half. Working within the heartwood, there was no way of knowing they were there.

You mean like this?? Carpenter ants seem to LOVE red oak. Doesn't matter if you cut the tree down, saw it up, or change it's zip code. I was splitting this small to try to get the wood dry & make them go somewhere else, they were dragging the larvae onto other rounds looking for a new home!!

It's a 2005 double cab long bed. The Timbrens are great because I get the stock soft ride when unloaded. As soon as I start to load it up it squats down on the the Timbrens which apparently can hold a lot of weigh as evident in my photo, and still rides decent with the load compared to if it was riding on the stock bump stops. They basically a taller bump stop with a progressive rate.

Good description of how they work. I have Timbrens on my F150 and like them alot.

Kevin

Dealing with Carpenter Ants

You mean like this?? Carpenter ants seem to LOVE red oak. Doesn't matter if you cut the tree down, saw it up, or change it's zip code. I was splitting this small to try to get the wood dry & make them go somewhere else, they were dragging the larvae onto other rounds looking for a new home!!
Exactly! Terrific Pics. Ran into a bunch of them today while splitting red elm, one of my favorite firewood species. When you split the round, they try desperately to drag larvae elsewhere. They seem to love crotchwood the best.

My strategy is to temporarily throw the split logs with the ants elsewhere in a separate pile and let the sun bake them for awhile before stacking. Allow the ants to leave and make sure they don't crawl up your pant leg. Without the queen, they are all history anyway.

Exactly! Terrific Pics. Ran into a bunch of them today while splitting red elm, one of my favorite firewood species. When you split the round, they try desperately to drag larvae elsewhere. They seem to love crotchwood the best.

My strategy is to temporarily throw the split logs with the ants elsewhere in a separate pile and let the sun bake them for awhile before stacking. Allow the ants to leave and make sure they don't crawl up your pant leg. Without the queen, they are all history anyway.

I do the same thing, although I wouldn't call it a pile--- more like a single layer scattered on the ground w/ plenty of sun & as far away from the good wood as possible. BTW, those pics were taken w/ my phone. I was amazed at how well they turned out.

My neighbor(arborist) just gave me a 24 inch Turkey Oak.Got it all hand split and my shoulder feels kinda funny.Glad for the X27 Fiskars though.I dont know of anything that will penetrate without sticking like this splitter.

I'm all set to get a big "standing dead" red oak in the morning. Haven't seen it yet to know HOW DEAD, anybody have a guess on what it will weigh per cord?

I would count on 4000lb per cord on oak....Like I tell the young guns around here never get greedy with oak it has a way of kicking your @ss!

So do you think my Tacoma might have been a little over loaded with this load of red oak?
CIMG0069.jpg

It actually didn't handle it too bad with the Timbrens, but I didn't have far to drive.

i dont see it as overloaded until it is leaving scrapes on the pavement.....:big_smile:

Back