Now I see what you guys have been saying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap! The listed bar lengths are between 13-33"... can you imagine a 13" bar on that thing! :chainsaw:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but maybe I can buy this Pro Mac 700. What would be a fair dollar value to offer for it? Does anyone know what it sold for new? Wouldn't parts be hard to find if need be? The torque compares nicely with the Homelite Zipsaw I had. I mean, I layed on this saw with the 20' bar totally sunk in maple (new sharp chain) and it didn't bog at all- it begged for more. What should I offer?
Thanks.
I would try and buy but I am a sucker for the big Mac's.Just think a nice 70cc saw that is different from your run of the mill Stihl/Husky. I would offer him 250.00 but that one is nice so I would be willing to pay 300.00. And on a cold crisp morning when you fire it up and the other saws run for cover you will now what I mean.I don't know what it sold for new but I am looking at a old 1976 catalog for a homelite xl 922 and it was 379.00 Canadian.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but maybe I can buy this Pro Mac 700. What would be a fair dollar value to offer for it? Does anyone know what it sold for new? Wouldn't parts be hard to find if need be? The torque compares nicely with the Homelite Zipsaw I had. I mean, I layed on this saw with the 20' bar totally sunk in maple (new sharp chain) and it didn't bog at all- it begged for more. What should I offer?
Thanks.

Any where from $200-$250 would be fair. Ebay is an anomoly because I've seen them go for $100 plus shipping and over $250 plus shipping. Just depends who's got that wild hair.

Seems like you have stumbled on to the thing many of us have...some of those old saws are very capable and fun to bring back to life. Instant gratification .. relitively low dollars and effort..tangible results for a clutch head when one works out.

I haven't run a Mac 700..but have traded my new 65cc class saws for old 82cc Homelites..the guys who are all about brand names and who's got to have the latest and greatest won't ever get it. AND if production work is you life it doesn't make sense either. BUT to blend a Hobby like old saws with a neccesity like fire wood, wood lot management, just want to play with mechnical things don't have lots of space!, interest in american built technology of the past, ..or other such things...it works.

Mid sized Mac's of that era are high performance saws..even by todays standards. They don't have the power to weight ratio of the 13,000RPM screaming plastic saws, but often the 70cc and larger older magnesium saws cut faster than ANY thing you can buy for the same dollars new and with readily available parts the cost over time compares as well...but what the hell, This isn't about logic or a business based rational; they are fun and thats why I went that direction.

(For ex. a $200 82cc Homelite S-XL925 will cut faster than ANY new $200 saw on the market...period. It will match ANY new saw up to around 65 cc. A 70cc new generation saw is going to beat it but your going to spend close to $500 dollars to get there. AND that "torque" thing makes for a more forgiving saw to run.)

The last I remember we sold them for $ 580.00. This was in the later 80's. It's a little loud and not as friendly on the hands but it's a winner in the specs department as far as power. Very reliable, we mainly sold them to farmers and pulp wood harvesters.

The last I remember we sold them for $ 580.00. This was in the later 80's. It's a little loud and not as friendly on the hands but it's a winner in the specs department as far as power. Very reliable, we mainly sold them to farmers and pulp wood harvesters.
I did'nt now it was that new of a saw I should have read the rest of the posts:buttkick:Ah the 80s

Last edited:
I have 2 PM 700's and if you can get that one for $250 get it. I bought a new one 3 years ago. There is an old Mac dealer near my camp that is where I got my new one. Supposedly the guy has several brand new ones but they are tied up in a nasty estate situation. I have seen new ones on E-bay go for over $700. I bought a real nice one this year for $250.
Those old saws really are torck monsters. I also have an Olympic 264 that really makes some chips. They remind me of the old Mako or CZ dirtbikes.

Some of the old ones are just soooooo good, Cisco and Hoss put it well into perspective, gotta agree, as with the rest of ya, as for price, hm, 2-300 doesn't sound excessive for a good runner. I am still amazed at the amount of raw power my little 08s had, slow and rumbly, and similar newer 50cc saw, though fast as all get-out in comparison, just don't seem to have the grunt of the oldfunnersaws. Ya ya, I know we're talkin' slightly more cc saw here, but sheesh, I've never had a problem with a 20" bar on the old wee beasty and with the new 270 I think I'd be pushing it a bit with one, whole different set-up imho, also about 5krpm difference. I am still kicking myself for letting my old Homey 76xl (?, think thats correct) go, man that was a great piece of engineering for its time and had some balls too, if I recall it was 68-69cc or so and the first time I started it up (after a fair bit of work) it made me jump abit :D (hey honey, have ya done the laundry yet? :D )
Gotta love the old stuff, if just for the sheer fun of it all!! (before I die I want to run a 120+cc Mall fer a bit, or something similar, just because)
:chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

:cheers:

Serge

Any where from $200-$250 would be fair. Ebay is an anomoly because I've seen them go for $100 plus shipping and over $250 plus shipping. Just depends who's got that wild hair.

Seems like you have stumbled on to the thing many of us have...some of those old saws are very capable and fun to bring back to life. Instant gratification .. relitively low dollars and effort..tangible results for a clutch head when one works out.

I haven't run a Mac 700..but have traded my new 65cc class saws for old 82cc Homelites..the guys who are all about brand names and who's got to have the latest and greatest won't ever get it. AND if production work is you life it doesn't make sense either. BUT to blend a Hobby like old saws with a neccesity like fire wood, wood lot management, just want to play with mechnical things don't have lots of space!, interest in american built technology of the past, ..or other such things...it works.

Mid sized Mac's of that era are high performance saws..even by todays standards. They don't have the power to weight ratio of the 13,000RPM screaming plastic saws, but often the 70cc and larger older magnesium saws cut faster than ANY thing you can buy for the same dollars new and with readily available parts the cost over time compares as well...but what the hell, This isn't about logic or a business based rational; they are fun and thats why I went that direction.

(For ex. a $200 82cc Homelite S-XL925 will cut faster than ANY new $200 saw on the market...period. It will match ANY new saw up to around 65 cc. A 70cc new generation saw is going to beat it but your going to spend close to $500 dollars to get there. AND that "torque" thing makes for a more forgiving saw to run.)

+1 on big torque=forgiving saw, but use your wedges and don't pinch. Also, the other day old Thall and I were tearing down my 555super(little bro to the 700) and we were both blown away by the sweet 4port design. That thing also had a two piece connecting rod and the beefiest 1 piece crank I had ever seen on a saw this size. Always wanted an pro 81 mac myself. Go for it get that thing!!

You want to talk about torque, the SXL-925 family has an amazing amount of torque! I recently bought my XL-870 from an elderly neighbor...I always liked the way my Super XL's cut, but the 870 puts them to shame when it comes to a 24" or bigger bar. The thing is heavier than the newer saws, but it cuts whatever I ask it to without complaining! I ran some 10-10's when I was a teenager, but they were always worn out before I got them. The few 555's & 700's I've messed with seemed like good saws, but I always felt the Homelites were a notch above.

Back