Now that's noodling!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out to make 'noodles' cutting up the knots/crotches/crooks that accumulated over the past several months.

I normally kick 2 chunks together, nail a s 1x4 stop across the "V" and lay the chunks in for surgery. Today I eyeballed the rick of unsplit rounds holding up one end of my split ricks....saaaayyyy, what if Iwas to remove one of those rounds:

cradl1.jpg

Now instead of down on my knees or at least bent way over, I have the chunks up at chest level!

The various piles to be done. Biggest one is partially hidden behind the 2x4s.

todo.jpg

And after a bit over one tank (that 310 eats gas worse than my PU) I'm done, no back ache. I had already stacked about that much from the first session before I thought of pictures.

done.jpg

I did find that locust does not make 'noodles' or 'frys' Just small curly chips. Makes cleanup much easier and no cloggign of the saw chip chute.

Harry K

To help prevent your saw chip chute from clogging while ripping don't "dog up tight" to the wood with your bumper spikes -it should help. But from what I've read of your posts you really know what your stuff, so you may have already known that. At least I made myself feel better thinking I may have helped someone out a little.

Rip safe :cool:

"I did find that locust does not make 'noodles' or 'frys' Just small curly chips. Makes cleanup much easier and no cloggign of the saw chip chute."
-------------
Correct, Harry. That stuff is tough as nails, hard as a rock, and tough to split. How could it possibly make a noodle?
:blob2:

"I did find that locust does not make 'noodles' or 'frys' Just small curly chips. Makes cleanup much easier and no cloggign of the saw chip chute."
-------------
Correct, Harry. That stuff is tough as nails, hard as a rock, and tough to split. How could it possibly make a noodle?
:blob2:

Everyone says locust is hard as a rock and tough to split. I have found that if I cut and split it in the same day, it pops like butter. (Althought that was a 10 degree day and frozen wood pops based on surface tension being disrupted)

Everyone says locust is hard as a rock and tough to split. I have found that if I cut and split it in the same day, it pops like butter. (Althought that was a 10 degree day and frozen wood pops based on surface tension being disrupted)

I always thought it was easy to split also, especially dry. Learned differently this year. My first batch I cut split like a dream. Moved to a different site and there was no way to split that by hand. Tough and every piece 'stringed'. Moved to another site and that stuff split 'moderately well'. I don't know if there are diffent species of Black Locust or if where it grows makes the difference.

Harry K

To help prevent your saw chip chute from clogging while ripping don't "dog up tight" to the wood with your bumper spikes -it should help. But from what I've read of your posts you really know what your stuff, so you may have already known that. At least I made myself feel better thinking I may have helped someone out a little.

Rip safe :cool:

Uhuh. Another method is to increase the angle of the cut. That shortens up the shavings.

Harry K

I always thought it was easy to split also, especially dry. Learned differently this year. My first batch I cut split like a dream. Moved to a different site and there was no way to split that by hand. Tough and every piece 'stringed'. Moved to another site and that stuff split 'moderately well'. I don't know if there are diffent species of Black Locust or if where it grows makes the difference.

Harry K

Harry I think it is reffered to as 'wind shake' When they grow in a stand they dont have as much wind stress. It is distributed over the entire stand instead of a single tree. When they stand alone they have more torsional (twisting) stesses from wind load and are tougher to split.

You're making some of us younger guys on here look bad.

Keep it up, we'll get there.

Good tip Harry, thanks for sharing. What I've found that holds these problem pieces even better (more securely) is the tree itself... I sometimes noodle the potential problem pieces while they're still attached to the tree, and then lop the newly formed 'splits' to length after the noodlin' is done.

Back