Now This is a Felling Notch...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was figuring about 18' when I made my calculation of 13 tons to estimate the weight of the removed wedge. The wedge is actually one-fourth of a cylinder that would be about 11' tall, judging from where they started the cut. I also assumed that it extended to the center of the tree.

So, the total volume would be 0.25 x 3.142 x (9)^2 x 11 = 700 cubic feet

At 50 lb/cu ft green wood that's 35,000 lb or 17.5 tons. That corrects my earlier post and looks more reasonable. It would probably split up to about 8 cords of firewood and IowaWoodCutter's estimate is likely correct that the wedge alone would have heated his whole house for about a year.

I just wonder what they did with it after they dropped it. It would take scaffolds on each side just to cut it up in lengths. After they cut a length I wonder how they moved it.

Awesome to look at though.

I just wonder what they did with it after they dropped it. It would take scaffolds on each side just to cut it up in lengths. After they cut a length I wonder how they moved it.

Awesome to look at though.
That also intrigues me, considering the logging equipment they had to work with back then. Even if the logs were only 30' long, those near the base would weigh 100 tons or more. Let's calculate that, assuming an average of 16' in diameter:

Volume = 3.142 x 8^2 x 30 = 6032 cu ft
Based on 50 lb/cu ft of green redwood, that's 151 tons per 30' billet.

How do you move and load 151 tons onto anything? :confused:
Maybe the guys up in the forestry and logging forum could give us a hand with this?

Last edited:
scotclayshooter;1148953 A lot of work with an axe![/QUOTE said:
I had this same question back on the farm when I was on one end of a crosscut with my old man "quit riding the saw!" still rings in my ears....anyhow.

Why did they saw the flat cut but ax the slant? Why didnt' they saw that also? Would have been less work.

Harry K

Why did they saw the flat cut but axe the slant? Why didn't they saw that also? Would have been less work.

Harry K
I only have one possible answer, if that was indeed the case. Perhaps the 2-man saws were designed only with cross-cutting blades rather than ripping blades. Once you go to the slant, you start ripping with the grain and the saws bogged down.

The axe, on the other hand, bites into the wood better with the grain, as if it were splitting it, so the fur would fly. Yes, it might be more work, but after awhile, the change of pace from monotonous sawing to axe work might also have been welcomed by the loggers. Just my WAG.

more work

"Why did they saw the flat cut but ax the slant? Why didnt' they saw that also? Would have been less work."

In the case of these big trees they would have had to mount several levels of springboards to run the cross cuts. Plus can you picture the length of the upper springboardsif they used just the long saw?

Less would be required with chopping.

-----------------

Ever cut a 12 foot wide notch with a cross cut then had to do it over because of a dutchman? Waahhhhhh.

-----------------

The reason thet chopped it out was because it was easier.

real question

The real question is why did they go in so deep on the face?

Why not just 1/4 of the way?

==============

Answer is that was easiest too.

=================

Made wedging doable.
If that tree has a ___ % backlean how much weight do the wedges have to lift? {That isn't counterbalanced by the other side of the fulcrum}

the guy with the gun must be the boss......:)

loggers_five_unknown.gif

Iowa Calender

No, really small house actually, 1250 upstairs and 1000 finished in the basement. I did use 6 cords from Nov 31st to March 31st though. I have the smallest house in the neighborhood by far. I just can't see why people need these monster houses. Of course, they probably look at my garage and say "Why the hell would anyone need all those tools, tractors and chainsaws???"

to each his own I guess...:chainsaw:

WOW! Does Iowa get an extra day at the end of November? Here in MASS we call it December 1st. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back