Numb thumb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Probably not the right place for this but it hasn’t been too busy here lately....

The middle finger on my left hand has pretty poor circulation that I attribute to running an old Homelite saw for years when I was a kid. Live and learn and I’m glad I have more modern saws now.

Lately the thumb on my right hand has been giving me trouble too. Felt a lot of pressure in it for a couple days then it went numb and now it’s cold. Feels like my other finger.

For a home-owner, I spend a fair amount of time running my chipper. Last night I was down by the river for a couple hours cutting a bunch of small trees and chipping them up when I realized something…When I’m running it, I usually keep my left hand on the feed-control bar and for some reason, keep my right hand on the brush being fed into the chipper, guiding it in. Well guess what? That brush shakes and vibrates like hell while it’s getting chipped up! Much more so than any old chainsaw. It’s not hard to figure out why I’m having trouble with that hand.

Moral of the story: Keep your hands off things that vibrate violently. Chainsaws aren’t the only things we use that vibrate.

Jim

Unfortunately this is one of those things that is hard to take very seriously until it is too late. I'm sorry to hear about your problem, as it is a quality of life issue.

As one who runs tools about all day (and often evenings) usually most days a week, I try my best to deal with the ongoing damage to my hands.

My strategy is three fold:

I buy the best tools possible, including chainsaws. It is worth it in the long run.

I constantly concentrate on good technique with any tools, which usually means lighter grip, and less force. Smooth motions, that use as little hands and as much body as possible. With saws this is important, as is really sharp chains. I personally feel that really good hearing protection with saws is very important, as it promotes relaxed alertness to good technique. Let the saw do the work

When running really buzzy tools (which I really try to avoid) I wear good quality gel gloves and take momentary breaks often.

I know all this is the usual blather, but I feel we all need to be reminded about certains basics, especially when we are too young to realize how important it is.

My throttle trigger finger does that no matter what saw I run. Doesn't do it all the time but occasionaly. On cold days it is a PITA becuase it will go cold and is very hard to get warmed. Most of the time I just shut down and lugg wood around for a while and it goes away for the day.

Are you taking a good multi-vitamin or other vitamins? I have had problems in the past with fingers going numb, and I made some dietary changes and I've had a lot less trouble since. A lot of us here are coffee drinkers and it's important to know that high levels of caffiene in the digestive tract/bloodstream can not only hinder the absorption of certain minerals and vitamins but can also leech nutrients out of your system as well.

it's important to know that high levels of caffeine in the digestive tract/bloodstream can not only hinder the absorption of certain minerals and vitamins but can also leech nutrients out of your system as well.

Caffeine and nicotine both cause capillaries to contract IIRC, so that could contribute to making a circulation problem worse.

Ian

Have your doc test you for Carpal Tunnel syndrome, a couple cuts and some stitches and youll be as good as new.

The grip is the key, most people grip things too tight.

not to sound like a health nut but after chainging my eating habits and losing some weight my arms and hands don't go numb while i sleep anymore.slowing down with the coffee intake well that's a diffrent story:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Have your doc test you for Carpal Tunnel syndrome, a couple cuts and some stitches and youll be as good as new.

The grip is the key, most people grip things too tight.

Maybe not, look up whitefinger disease and Raynauds.

Have a orthopedic suegeuon look at it . I had a Numbhand it wa not carple tunlles but nerves in my elbowe that hadboth been pinched by repetive moitin Though itvwasverypan full also . . It is bet to getit checked as imy numb and pain ful hand started witha numb thumb . LAos check out thorcis outlet syndrome I have that but the surweery isvery risky.

good luick and take care of your self !

Latest posts

Back