Nut identification - recommend a website?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a nut tree on my property which I don't recognize. I'd post some pics of the tree here, but I'm too sick to get out and take any, but feeling better enough that I want an answer NOW. :D

I've done several searches, and can't find a site that shows pics of different nut trees. Any suggestions?

Should be able to identify lots of odd ball nuts right here on AS :jester:

hope you get feeling better.

R Schra said:
i was just looking over some sites as i found this. Still working it trough how to look up things.... maybe a shot worth?

forestry about dot com

Thnanks for the link. I checked it out, but didn't find anything useful. Those "About" sites are pretty good for generalities, usually, but nothing in depth.

Will do, Ray, once I get feeling well enough to mosey out there...

This has been one killer bug. Now I know how older folks can die from the flu!

Tried that, Kate. Too many people selling nuts online...

Hmmm. Come to think of it, there are too many nuts online! :dizzy:

:D

Try this in regular Google (not images or Beta, or any of the other options):

"nut tree" + "leaf"

The first listing looks promising.

Well, tried that too. First link you mentioned had a lot of text. No help.

So... pics coming up!

Pictures at last

Okay, here are some poor quality pictures. I sent a boy out to get some samples, and took the pictures with my cell phone. Can anyone make these out well enough to hazard a guess?

If you open the husk and there are...I think five triangular nuts or seeds inside, it is a buckeye. The leaves look consistant and the husk looks like bukeye or hickory.

On other help might be to search dichotomis key online. This will allow you to identify a tree by process of elimination.

Good luck

Hickory

The leaves say hickory and so does the nut. Buckeye trees have prickly hulls and the yellow buckeyes have less prickly hulls but they have little pointy spines on the husk. The hickory has smooth. Buckeyes hulls are prickly with the yellow buckeyes being less prickly.

<a href="http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/tree-key/hickory-key.htm">Here's an online key to hickory species.</a>

Back