Oak tree disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNAPS

Reaction score
I have what I think is a laurel oak tree in my front yard. For the last 4 or 5 years now this tree has some kind of disease. The leaves get brown spots on them and die and fall off all year round. I don't mind raking once a year, but 3 or 4 times is really getting to be a pain in the butt. We love the tree, but It's getting to where I want to just cut it down.

A neighbor told me it was some kind of disease and you have to treat it close to the ground with a fungicide. He was saying it would have to have holes drilled into it about 2" up from the ground and all around the tree so many inches around it and then the fungicide injected into it.

The roots are also lifting up the driveway and my entrance way. I'm debating on digging up around the driveway and entrance way and cutting the roots. Will that kill the tree?

The neighbor also said it'll probably cost close to $500.00 to treat it because of the size. He claims he knows this because he went through the same thing at his other house years ago.. I don't know, maybe he has no idea what he's talking about.. I know I have no clue..

I'm not working right now and can't afford to have someone come out and treat it. Can anyone give me any help or advice? I live in Seminole, Florida.. Thanks!!

The picture is an older pic, probably 2 years old. The tree has been trimmed up a lot since this pic. Now you can see over the entire roof of the house.

View attachment 281410

Last edited:
The disease needs to be identified before a treatment can be selected. Post some recent pics of the browning leaves and the twigs. Some fungal diseases can be treated with foliar sprays as well as trunk injections.

The disease needs to be identified before a treatment can be selected. Post some recent pics of the browning leaves and the twigs. Some fungal diseases can be treated with foliar sprays as well as trunk injections.

Thanks for the reply. Right now the tree is trimmed up so high I can't reach any limbs to get leaves. I did get these from the ground. Not sure if this will help. I have a friend that has a pole saw so if this doesn't help I'll get him to bring it by when he can.

View attachment 281481

Last edited:
I found a great link that outlines all kinds of oak leaf diseases: click here.

As you'll see, there are all kinds of leaf diseases that fit the description. I would suspect either Anthracnose or Bacterial Leaf Scorch or Tubakia because those diseases don't immediately kill the tree and come back year after year. Anthracnose especially fits the bill because it will cause leaf drop throughout the summer.

One way to know for sure is to grab a few of the leaves that have dropped and take them to your local university extension, and they may be able to ID it for you.

One thing you can do for any one of those diseases is keep those leaves raked up. Bag them and get rid of them, or they will be a source of re-contamination for the tree.

There are also sprays available for Anthracnose that are reasonably effective that you'd have to have a tree service do in the spring. They would do two sprays about a week apart. Personally, I would charge about $65 per spray, but I'm not in Florida.

I would personally not follow the advice of your neighbor; drilling holes in the tree and stuffing fungicides in there is something that is frowned upon by tree experts these days; it's generally ineffective and harmful to the tree. There are micro injections available to tree care professionals (the arborjet system) that are acceptable, but wouldn't be available to the homeowner.

Well, hope that helps. Again, take a sample to your extension and get their opinion, and I can help more once it is positively ID'd.

-Lee Sonneville
ArboRx Tree Care of Fort Collins, CO

The complaint I hear is, my Laurel oak produces large crop of acorns & makes a mess of the yard.

I would not worry about treating the foliar diseases, rake the leaves & enjoy the shade or remove the tree.

When you get back to work consider having the tree looked at. It looks a bit chlorotic (yellow) to me for a Laurel oak, soil may need a test.

Drive & walk issue no good answers here, cutting roots never helps tree. Sometimes it has to be done, make sure cuts are clean, don't hack.

Good luck hope you find work soon.

The complaint I hear is, my Laurel oak produces large crop of acorns & makes a mess of the yard.

I would not worry about treating the foliar diseases, rake the leaves & enjoy the shade or remove the tree.

When you get back to work consider having the tree looked at. It looks a bit chlorotic (yellow) to me for a Laurel oak, soil may need a test.

Drive & walk issue no good answers here, cutting roots never helps tree. Sometimes it has to be done, make sure cuts are clean, don't hack.

Good luck hope you find work soon.

Totally agree. Post current pics to get better input. It gets HOT in Seminole; the tree is worth some maintenance.

Back