Oak Tree (Large) split... Is it worth saving?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roofing cement?! :msp_rolleyes:

"Wound sealer" has been mainly phased out, but not quite.

The old "branch sealer" i remember from the 70's was basically creosote -- and if you got some on the cambium, it would die back further from the wound. It was probably phased out for several reasons: plant and animal toxicity, and lack of long term activity.

Any "sealer" dries out and cracks, at which time it actually provides a better spot for fungi to grow compared to bare wood; at that point, the petroleum-based sealers are no different from latex paint. Under the cracked sealer or paint, mycelia grow from spores in a protected environment. Latex paint is a non-toxic alternative, but you would need to reapply every year; you often see it used in orchards on large cuts.

Also, a fungicide solution first applied to the exposed wood could help; it could also simply be applied alone. One is used on fresh cut live stumps to control infection by annosus root and butt rot (Heterobasidon annosum) when thinning mixed conifer stands, especially on grand fir stumps. The chemistry of the fresh wood no longer allows mycelia to grow from spores that land on the stump.

I looked that treatment up:

Heterobasidion annosum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they don't say what it is, but I believe it is a borax solution.

Yup

Borax Stump Treatment for Control of Annosus Root Disease in the Eastside Pine Type Forests of Northeastern California

The fungicide sounds like a good addition, thanks. I know one of the major schools has been teaching against sealers for at least 40 years and that's about how long I've been using them. Latex paint is a good choice, more colors, faster, and easier cleanup. The roof cement will eventually crack (as it does on our roofs) especially on horizontal surfaces and of course there is no chance of healing there but to me it is better than nothing at all especially with the fungicide. I find the bark will not dry back and release from the wood nearly as fast. It's a band-aid. If I removed every damaged tree on my property I would also save a lot of time mulching leaves because I don't think I would have a twig standing LOL.

A wind storm will take part of it down. Maybe not the next wind storm but certainly one will. You simply run the risk of something or someone being damaged ... or worse. I like trees as much as the next person and have thousands of them on my property but when they are damaged to the point of being a hazard they come down.

Back