Oak Tree loosing its bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AllyB

AllyB

ArboristSite Lurker
Hello. We have a huge oak tree in our yard that is loosing its bark on the main trunk. Otherwise, the branches and leaves look very healthy. The exposed wood on the trunk looks healthy as well. What could be causing this? BTW, we moved here 8 months ago and the prior owner said he had an arborist look at the tree in the past and the tree was fine. It has continued to lose more bark since we have lived here.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
...the prior owner said he had an arborist look at the tree in the past and the tree was fine. ...

Did the prior owner also tell you there was a pot of gold under the rainbow? Oak bark shedding in the carolinas is often due to a treatable infection, and/or past injury. pics are easy to post here; please do, and welcome!.

ChrisWNY

ChrisWNY

ArboristSite Operative
I'm not sure if Swamp White Oaks grow in SC, but it's normal for those to have peeling bark. Perhaps some other Oaks out there share this same behavior, don't know for certain. Photos are definitely worth 1,000 words.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Ally, the snark is not an arborist; just a freelance scold. please ignore. you are between treeco and i and we and others here know the oaks in your region. if you just pull off the loose bark that comes off easily and take a picture we can offer some ideas.

:)

AllyB

AllyB

ArboristSite Lurker
Ok...here are the pics. However, it is wet outside as it is drizzling and has been raining. Some of the discolorations are actually because of the dampness. Thanks

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
From the looks of the scar tissue, the injury (not infection) is old. That amount of exposed wood is bad--will eventually lead to decay. There are ways to prune and care for the tree to keep it around in a *reasonably* safe condition, depending on your risk tolerance.

When it dries maybe you can get an image of the whole tree. Is it a willow oak? (leaves look like willow)?

AllyB

AllyB

ArboristSite Lurker
Yea, Treeseer, I gathered that. ;) I'm just going to get someone from the Clemson extension to come out and evaluate the situation. Thanks

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Good luck with the extension folks--let us know what they say, okay? Bear in mind that their risk tolerance is very low since they work for the state, so they will recommend removal often when other treatments are reasonable.

If you still can post pics here, you may hear more than chainsawing solutions. ;)