Oak tree with fungus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes this is a sure sign of OAK root rot fungus.Can you take a pic and post it?Cannot tell really unless you do.Some Oaks can live for many years with this problem.Is their any mounding up of the soil around large roots?Need a pic to see it before we can tell.How big is this tree?$6600.00 sounds like alot.I had one taken down that was huge and they had to use a crane to swing the pieces over the garage and they bucked it up for me too for $2000.00 that is here though and I wouldent pay for the stump to be removed...who cares?It was not hurting anything why remove it ....use it for a table.
New to Forum - trying to figure out how to post, Hope this gets to somebody.
I have a Pin Oak with a fungus on it. Can I break it all off?? Will tha help stop its destruction?? Attached 2 pics.

Attachments

• Pin Oak I.jpg
    Pin Oak I.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Pin Oak II.jpg
    Pin Oak II.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 11
What you see there is the fruiting body of the fungus that is in the wood of the tree. Breaking them off is akin to taking apples off of the tree...you take the fruiting body structure off, but the remainder of the organism remains perfectly in place.

You need to pull that ivy off to see how extensive the decay is - or better yet, have it evaluated by a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist. Expect to pay for the service...do NOT start with bids to remove the tree if you want to know how strong it is - if you go that route, I can already tell you what your answer is going to be ;) Look up arborists in your area here: http://treesaregood.org/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx

What you see there is the fruiting body of the fungus that is in the wood of the tree. Breaking them off is akin to taking apples off of the tree...you take the fruiting body structure off, but the remainder of the organism remains perfectly in place.

You need to pull that ivy off to see how extensive the decay is - or better yet, have it evaluated by a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist. Expect to pay for the service...do NOT start with bids to remove the tree if you want to know how strong it is - if you go that route, I can already tell you what your answer is going to be ;) Look up arborists in your area here: http://treesaregood.org/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx
Thank You. Actually I am going to send these pics to my landlord (I rent) and show him this post.
Really appreciate your quick reply.

Back